Ideas for transporting a cat long distance?

Old December 1st 03, 02:28 AM
Robin Colleen Moore

Default Ideas for transporting a cat long distance?

Hello again--I used to post here a couple of years ago, and yours truly,
prodigal daughter, has returned to the fold in search of information and
help with a problem.

Basically, what is the best way to transport a cat long-distance from
Boston to Sacramento, if a human can't actually fly out to deliver it
and then head back home? Without getting into the whole long and sordid
story (and trust me, it's both), my housemate and I are looking after a
friend's very sweet 15-year-old female black cat named Bast, who we
can't keep due to imminent Armageddon on the part of my 2 cats in
reaction to the usurper's arrival this evening. However, we have been
able to contact a friend of the original owner in Sacramento, and Bast
can have a home out there, with either the original owner or the friend.
*Now* the question is...how to get her out there? None of us can afford
to board a plane with her, fly to Sacramento, drop her off and then turn
around and head home, so that's out of the question. We *could* pay to
have her flown out there by herself, although we're not sure how much
that would cost (we can't afford to pay too much, alas), and we're
admittedly concerned about the idea of her spending several hours in the
cargo hold. I know a couple of years ago that, when a poster in the
Northwest had to give up her cat, another poster in the Midwest took him
in, and some kind of long-distance truck transportation was arranged by
various caring individuals, but I don't remember the details, or even
know if such a thing would be feasible.

Suggestions, anyone? Bast is an older cat, but in very good health; she
is, however, rather high-strung, so I don't doubt prodigious amounts of
tranquilizers will be needed to make her trip less than traumatic for
her--we just want to do this as quickly, cheaply, and comfortably for
her as possible, and any reasonable ideas anyone has will be gratefully
listened to.

Thanks,

Robin the mad photographer (catmom to Jezebel and Delenn, who are NOT
happy about the new arrival--she's in the living room with my housemate,
who's going to sleep with her tonight; he's known her for several years,
and should be a comfort to her, while I have to attempt to keep the
peace with my girls)

I am happy to be an American. Nowhere else could a Jew with a giant
nose engage in tongue play with an African American with a fabulous
tush after winning an Academy Award on live television for playing a
Holocaust survivor and not have someone declare a holy war against us.
Old December 1st 03, 05:47 AM

Robin wrote:
my housemate and I are looking after a
friend's very sweet 15-year-old female
black cat named Bast, who we can't keep
due to imminent Armageddon on the part
of my 2 cats in reaction to the usurper's
arrival this evening.

If you bring a new cat into the house and put her with your cats right
away Armageddon is to be expected and happens in almost every
circumstance.

There is absolutely no reason you need to send this cat elsewhere.
Separating her from the others and then doing a *slow* and *correct*
introduction will result in the cats being able to live together. Put
the new cat in a room of her own for a few days and let her get used to
her new suroundings and settle in before you even attempt to start the
introduction process. You can learn how to do a proper introduction
he
http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html

I also highly recommend that you buy or build a screen door for the room
the new cat is in and put it up after a few days so the cats can see
each other without being able to physically interact. This is extremely
helpful in getting the cats acclimated to each other before you attempt
to let them meet face to face and will help you to guage their progress
and decide when physical meetings can be attempted. You can see a photo
diary of an introduction by clicking on my photo album link and looking
at the album titled "Duffy: The Introduction."
Take your time and don't rush things and you should have success. Expect
it to take a few weeks.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old December 1st 03, 10:22 AM
MaryL

"Robin Colleen Moore" wrote in message
. ..

Basically, what is the best way to transport a cat long-distance from
Boston to Sacramento, if a human can't actually fly out to deliver it
and then head back home? Without getting into the whole long and sordid
story (and trust me, it's both), my housemate and I are looking after a
friend's very sweet 15-year-old female black cat named Bast, who we
can't keep due to imminent Armageddon on the part of my 2 cats in
reaction to the usurper's arrival this evening.

Thanks,

Why not first try to integrate Bast into your own household? The basic
problem here is that you tried to move *much* too rapidly. I have written a
fairly lengthy document on how I introduced Duffy to Holly (a cat we
previously called "the black tornado" because she would attack every cat in
sight). I always thought it would be impossible to bring any other cat into
Holly's presence, but my mistake (like yours) was that I did not use the
correct techniques and did not give it enough time. Please send an e-mail
request to me if you would like to receive a copy. (The e-mail address
attached to this message is correct except that you need to *take out the
litter* first.)

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old December 1st 03, 12:44 PM
Matt

What is the problem with shipping them cargo? My cats will be shipped
cargo from Germany to California next Monday and based on my research
it is relatively safe. I have specifically chosen Lufthansa since they
have an excellent track record and a good reputation for transporting
animals. They will be in a special fully climatized cargo hold and can
be dropped of 90 minutes before take off. I have chosen a transport
unit big enough for them to move around or hide and to put their
favourite sleeping blanket in there. Taking them into the passenger
cabin is not always possible since there is weight limitations (cat
and carrier must not weigh more than 8kg and my tomcat is huge). The
only thing I haven't decided on is whether to sedate them or not. They
have an appointment with the vet on Wednesday for the health
certificate and I will probably just follow his advice in regards to
sedation. While I know that it will be very stressful for them I am
pretty confident that things will work out just fine. If not I am
going to raise hell.

In regards to the original inquiry about how to get the cat to
Sacramento, there is plenty of companies around that will move the
cat. Check out http://www.ipata.com/company.htm . Pricing should be
relatively reasonable moving my cats from Germany to CA is about $250
per cat (includes buying the cage also the one I picked is larger than
necessary (airline rules) which increased the cost by about $60).

Old December 1st 03, 05:23 PM
Rene

[...]

Are there any rescue groups in the Sacramento area (or your area)?
I've heard stories of how people will drive some, meet up with others,
then exchange the cat and keep driving until they meet the next
person.

Rene