[OT] I must go to this place

Old December 17th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [OT] I must go to this place

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008...-on-earth.html

Scroll down a bit once you get to the site, because there are a few ads
and links at the top. This place has the most amazing vegetation I've ever
seen, plus beautiful buildings on a cliffside, weird and forbidding rock
formations, and other fascinating stuff.

Has anyone been there?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 17th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default I must go to this place

hopitus wrote:

I looked at all the pics; the deserted city cliffside is not on that
island; it's on mainland Yemen;

You're right, I saw that too. Just didn't want to believe it. Why would
they put that photo on a site for the island?? Probably confused other
people as well. I would love to see that, but as much as I would like to
go to the Middle East/North Africa, you're probably right that it's not
all that safe for Americans, not to mention American Jews.

There are people who live on the island, though.

Machu Picchu, anothe
walled deserted mysterious city, yeah, much safer.

Sure, as long as I have an oxygen tank. I start to feel funky at 5000 ft!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 17th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008...-on-earth.html

Scroll down a bit once you get to the site, because there are a few ads
and links at the top. This place has the most amazing vegetation I've ever
seen, plus beautiful buildings on a cliffside, weird and forbidding rock
formations, and other fascinating stuff.

Has anyone been there?

--
Joyce ^..^

No never been there, but I've been some places that would give it
competition, mostly in Australia. There I saw a jungle with giant ferns as
big as a man, and an arid area that was so full of alkali, it was killing
the trees, and everything looked coated with a layer of salt. Not man-made
pollution, mind you, a strange natural phenomenon. Critters there can be
strange, too. The Giant Otway Snail, for example (shudder).

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old December 17th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008...-on-earth.html

Scroll down a bit once you get to the site, because there are a few ads
and links at the top. This place has the most amazing vegetation I've ever
seen, plus beautiful buildings on a cliffside, weird and forbidding rock
formations, and other fascinating stuff.

Has anyone been there?

--
Joyce ^..^

Looks like someplace in Middle Earth (Tolkien) to me I don't think I
want to go there, though.

Jill

Old December 17th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

[Socotra]

Our local botanical garden (the Royal Botanical Gardens of Edinburgh)
has had a long-term interest in the place, and have produced a GIGANTIC
full-colour book on the ethno-flora of Socotra. It must cost a fortune,
I just flipped through it at their reception desk.

I particularly liked the idea of grazing camels on a plant related to
lemon grass so you get flavoured milk.

In Google Earth it looks like Mars.

but as much as I would like to go to the Middle East/North Africa,
you're probably right that it's not all that safe for Americans,
not to mention American Jews.

Yemen is a significant tourist destination, though not cheap to get to,
so trouble must be very rare. Socotra must be a lot harder to reach.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 18th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 6:08 am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:
wrote in message

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008...ing-place-on-e...

[...]

Okay, scratch Socotra! Ditto Yemen. Lead me to the Giant Otway Snail;
always did have odd tourist tastes. Would the Snail, standing, come
higher
than my knees?

No. Not THAT giant. Giant compared to the usual little garden snails.
More like the size of a fist. They're quite creepy enough, since they're
carnivorous (gulp). And they come out, silently, in the early evening . . .
so you're sitting out on the beach on a cool evening and you go "Hmm,
there's one of those snails." And you go back to talking and five or ten
minutes later, you look around, and you're surrounded by dozens of the
buggers. Sort of Hitckcock-like. And you say, "Well, I think I'll go
inside now." :-O

Old December 18th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

On Dec 17, 7:40 pm, "Kreisleriana" wrote:

No. Not THAT giant. Giant compared to the usual little garden snails.
More like the size of a fist. They're quite creepy enough, since they're
carnivorous (gulp). And they come out, silently, in the early evening . . .
so you're sitting out on the beach on a cool evening and you go "Hmm,
there's one of those snails." And you go back to talking and five or ten
minutes later, you look around, and you're surrounded by dozens of the
buggers. Sort of Hitckcock-like. And you say, "Well, I think I'll go
inside now." :-O

ROFL. Meat-eating snails? They - as you suspected - were probably
considering
how you'd taste for dinner, let's say a large banquet for them. I did
google with
not much success; all i could get outa that was "African" giant
snails, which
looked what little I could see maybe size of footballs, LOL on some
hoomin arm.

Like this?

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/gener...and-Snails.htm

As cool as they look, they are actually a health hazard because they
carry a parasite that can be easily picked up by humans (such as the human
who is hold them in the above photo).

--
Joyce ^..^

MY place. Not YOURS! Enfilade Cat anecdotes 14 August 15th 07 06:31 AM
stop my cat going into place I don't want [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 7 September 15th 06 04:55 AM
noo place too eat Carol Cat community 1 August 20th 04 03:20 AM
Peeing all over the place Wendy Cat health & behaviour 18 December 12th 03 11:21 PM