Getting used to the cat

Old June 5th 04, 12:05 AM
Takayuki

Default Getting used to the cat

Is there ever a point when you finally get used to your cat? I've had
Betty for over a year now, and I haven't gotten used to it.

Every day I spend with Betty feels like the very first day. When she
strolls into the room, I'm just stunned by how beautiful and catlike
she is. When I stroke her fur, I can hardly believe how soft she is,
even though it's the same fur I petted yesterday, and the day before
that. When I pick her up and hold her, it always seems like it's been
ages since I've given her a hug.

I just don't know if I'll ever get used to having Betty. She's not
like anything else in my life. She seems miraculous, maybe even
divine. Her nose is so cool and moist. Her paws are so supple and
smooth. Looking into her bright, bright eyes is like gazing at stars
in a sky made of gold. I don't know if I'll ever get used to having a
cat.

Old June 5th 04, 01:20 AM

Wow, Tak, what a beautiful post! It's really wonderful that you are so
in touch with the awe that cats inspire, on a daily basis. Maybe because
you've never had one before? Which is not to say that my cats don't also
inspire awe in me, too. Maybe I'm just not as good a writer as you are!

Joyce

--
To reply privately, take the X's out of my user ID.
Old June 5th 04, 01:08 PM

Takayuki wrote:

Maybe that's it - it's that I haven't had a cat before. I remember
when I first got Betty, I immediately loved her, but it also felt
distinctly weird having a little beastie following me around all the
time. At least I'm used to that part now. Maybe that's as far as it
goes as far as getting used to having a cat.

Well, there are two ways to interpret the phrase "used to". One is that
you have become accustomed to something, and you expect it to be there.
You've adapted to it, and your life would seem weird *without* it. Sounds
like you've gotten to that point with Betty. A few of the people who
responded to your original post seemed to take it that way, too - I heard
people saying they were accustomed to having their cats, and would find it
weird or even unimaginable not to have them.

The other way to use that phrase, which is how I think you meant it, is
to *take something for granted*. To stop noticing it and stop appreciating
it conciously. You'd stop feeling that daily awe and amazement, that such
creatures are sharing your home and your life, stop paying attention to
all the fascinating and beautiful details of your cats. Not that you'd
stop caring about them, or caring *for* them, just that you'd lose touch
with the concious acknowledgement and appreciation of what a wonderful thing
you have. And that's what I think you were saying you still had, and weren't
sure you'd ever lose. I hope you don't! It's a great gift.

I don't think I wrote anything particularly good. I mean, the cat is
catlike? Her nose is moist? Not very keen observations.

What can I say - I liked it!

Joyce

Old June 6th 04, 06:28 PM
SUQKRT

In article , Takayuki

Wow, Tak, what a beautiful post! It's really wonderful that you are so
in touch with the awe that cats inspire, on a daily basis. Maybe because
you've never had one before? Which is not to say that my cats don't also
inspire awe in me, too. Maybe I'm just not as good a writer as you are!

Maybe that's it - it's that I haven't had a cat before. I remember
when I first got Betty, I immediately loved her, but it also felt
distinctly weird having a little beastie following me around all the
time. At least I'm used to that part now. Maybe that's as far as it
goes as far as getting used to having a cat.

I don't think I wrote anything particularly good. I mean, the cat is
catlike? Her nose is moist? Not very keen observations.

I was watching tv, but was bored, so watched Spicey playing with her "kitty
playpen" . She's a lot more interesting. Her playpen is two plastic arches with
danglies. The base is a plastic tubering with tinckleballs. The tube has
pawholes for pushing the tinckleballs round and round.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")