Crevettes?

Old June 18th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Crevettes?

Bruce wrote:

On Jun 18, 1:31?pm, "Joy" wrote:

Are you trying to say that those huge prawns, which we don't
get in the US, come from the US?

After trying to ferret out where Jack's Whiskas cat tin was
filled, and who to blame for the Iams recall now, I am done with
researching, at least for the day. I really have no interest in
where whatever-they're-called-wherever shrimp-like seafood
originates, and am saying *nothing* of the sort. You let us know
if the prices of whichever kind you are partial to don't go
skyhigh the longer this goes on with the oil outfit. *That* I
fear the worst for, and have already dismissed such from my
treat menu. They *all* jump right on the bandwagon (old USA
expression) MLB hit it right on the nose with "smells the same"
post.

I think what Bruce is trying to say, in a very roundabout and obscure
way, is that seafood companies are going to gouge prices whether they
are affected by the oil spill or not. So even if large prawns are
fished off the coast of Australia, companies will charge huge prices
citing the oil spill as the reason, even if it had nothing to do with
them.

At least, that's what I can gather from the elliptical post above.

And my worst fear is *not* high prices! If I see one more oil-covered
pelican I'm going to scream.

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
Old June 18th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think)
but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are some sort
of
massive prawn-type thingie.

Depends on where in the USA. In California, we call the big ones "prawns".

My crevettes are, apparently, crayfish.
Tweed

Old June 18th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Jun 18, 1:31 pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

On Jun 18, 1:12 pm, "Joy" wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very
large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think) but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are
some
sort of massive prawn-type thingie.
Tweed

In the US we call them shrimp, but the biggest ones are only a little
over
2
inches (about 5 cm) long. I was delighted with the huge prawns served in
Australia. I remember asking an Aussie waitress about a prawn dish
listed
on the menu. She said, "Oh, those are just the small ones," holding her
thumb and forefinger apart to show the size of what we call jumbo
shrimp.
We also have tiny ones, about 3/4 inches (maybe 2 cm) long, which are
called
"cocktail shrimp".

I'm looking forward to having some of those huge prawns in a couple of
months.

Joy

{Prepare yourself to pay a premium due to ongoing oil damage to USA
seafood-producing
states' shorelines. Did anyone actually think the result of this would
just be nasty beaches
in USA east coast and grimy sea fowl? Think again.

***

[...]

I'll be very surprised if the price of prawns in Australia is affected by
this spill.

Joy

Old June 18th 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think)
but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are some sort
of
massive prawn-type thingie.

Depends on where in the USA. In California, we call the big ones "prawns".

Joyce

Really? What part of California. I've lived in California all my life (74
years), and the only place I've seen prawns on a menu is in Australia.

Joy

Old June 18th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Christina Websell" wrote

They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Grin, despite all the chatter, until you open the bag and find how how many
inches long they are and if they are shaped like shrimp, you won't know for
sure.

'Jumbo shrimp' is a name that varies by country and available resources.
For example, in Japan they call shrimp that are about 5-6/lb 'large'
(normally about 89yen each and in USAD that would have been about 83cents
each. Head on weight). In the USA, they would have been referred to as
'prawns'.

Crawfish/crayfish are worldwide named but not always the same thing. USA
ones are really good but smaller and taste like little lobsters. Japan ones
are different looking (but a related species) and taste muddy.

Open the bag and tell us what they look like?

Also, I think we can ignore the idea that the gulf oil issue will cause a
world-wide shrimp panic in prices. It won't. Although our gulf shrimp
fishing will be affected for possibly a decade, it was never more than about
5% (if that) of the worldwide production. It will mostly affect the USA as
we used that resource fairly heavily in some areas. Marketing made it seem
'wild caught gulf shrimp' were the 'nazz'. My heart is there for those who
made their lively-hood off the gulf fisheries but in a global trade economy,
the sky isn't falling.

Old June 18th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 18, 3:44*pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

On Jun 18, 1:31 pm, "Joy" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

On Jun 18, 1:12 pm, "Joy" wrote:

[...]

I hope I'm wrong but the price I am talking is the price *here*
wherever
you are and I am, in USA. Joyce got it right away. The price-setters
may very well NOT BE affected by the oil spill.
Another term for "hopping on the bandwagon" is "herd instinct" or
"cascade effect". I am not talking about what may happen in Australia
or anywhere else they catch prawns.
Is the term "middleman" familiar? Including from fancy (or not)
restaurants
on down to the 2# bag I buy at my grocer's. Already I saw bag price
zoom
to $9.99 everywhere I look, up from $5.99.
Old June 19th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think) but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are
some sort of massive prawn-type thingie.
Tweed

Old saying: "A rose by any other name would smell the same". MLB

I now have it on good authority from my food group (which is where I
should have sent this post in the first place) that crevettes are not
shrimps or prawns, but freshwater crayfish.
I told you they were too big to be prawns ;-)
Tweed

ARGH! I have been dying for some boiled crawfish - but they're too
expensive here in Houston. When we lived in New Orleans we could get them
cooked for about $1.75 a pound cooked and about $0.75 live. In Houston
they're about $5.00 a pound cooked and not much less live - and Ben could
eat 10 pounds all by himself!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 19th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Christina Websell" wrote:
What are they?

I thought they were a type of kitty that likes coffee and whose
litterboxes are considered gold mines.
Old June 19th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I've had them here in LA and TX - jumbo, jumbo shrimp.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 19th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 18, 11:33*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

Have just consulted a cousin who lives on the LA delta around Houma
(no they are
not happy lately) and they offered *their* word which is "chevrette".
We did not discuss
how big we were talking. The oil has penetrated the swamps there.