King prawns from Thailand OT

Old December 10th 12, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default King prawns from Thailand OT

"jmcquown" wrote in message
There seems to be a difference about shrimps/prawn definition - I've
noticed
this before. We call shrimps the very tiny ones, and USA people call
prawns
shrimp too.

That's because in the US shrimp come in many different sizes. From small
canned "salad shrimp" to jumbo shrimp. Some are already cleaned, peeled
and flash frozen, others are partially cleaned but with the shell still on
(as for shrimp cocktail). I don't buy much shrimp but when I do I'll be
checking the labels.

Anyway, I will never eat a prawn from Thailand again.
I will examine every packet I buy and if it says "origin Thailand" it's
off
my menu as sure as I will feed Boyfie tomorrow.
And I don't want anything from our favourite Scot accusing me of being
racist (again)

Huh?

When I said I didn't want my cat to eat anything from China, I was accused
of being a racist. I don't care. When China put melamine in cat food to
boost the protein and not care how it killed them, yes, call me a racist if
I say The Chinese killed cats in America by introducing melamine to their
diet,
They did.

This is not racist, it's a fact.

I was as appalled as anyone about the poison in imported pet food from
China. Persia had long before been eating prescription food and Hill's
posted info on their web site. There were some voluntary recalls but
only because they weren't sure. Hill's is one of the few that sent out
notices. I never said a thing about racism and avoiding food from
China. Seems you're a little touchy about the subject for some reason.

Jill
Old December 10th 12, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Rusty" wrote in message
On Friday, December 7, 2012 4:12:53 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
I will never eat them again.

I saw a Tv program. There they are all in their tanks, seeming happy,

mating. Swimming.

Next day the females are in another tank on the bottom, not moving. The

journalist asked what was the matter with them. The person there refused

answer.

It turned out that they'd removed one eye from the female prawns as
somehow

it makes them lay more eggs.

Last prawns from Thailand I ever eat.

I thought they were got from the sea. I had no idea about this.

I recalled reading that Thai shrimps or prawns from are from polluted
water.
I found many of the frozen shrimps sold here are from Thailand. So I have
stopped buying them. Now I only buy fresh (not frozen) shrimps from N.
America. They cost more but I hope they are not as polluted. -- Winnie

-------
I love prawns but will never eat one from Thailand again. They are cruel to
them. I like my prawns swept up from the sea, not in tanks where they take
their eyes out.
I can't tell you how shocked I was that people will do it, but maybe thats
all the job they can get. Picking eyes out of female prawns.
I think I'd rather die than do that.

Old December 10th 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Monday, December 10, 2012 3:12:00 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

I remember the melamine scare. Even some of Rusty's prescription brand food
was recalled because of an ingredient's origin. I just about had a heart attack
when I heard about it on the news. Fortunately the particular food Rusty had
was not recalled. The vet's clinic got notified quickly by the pet food company. It was a Canadian brand. Well it was Canadian at the time,
but I think it was bought later by another pet food, possibly American, company. Not that many Canadian companies left these days. They kept being taken over by foreign companies. Sigh!
Well at least one less worry about contaminated cat food for me now that Rusty is gone. -- Winnie
Old December 10th 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Rusty" wrote in message
On Monday, December 10, 2012 3:12:00 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in Well at least one less
worry about contaminated cat food for me now that Rusty is gone. --
Winnie

That is dreadful to hear.

Old December 10th 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_4_]

Judith Latham wrote in
:

In article ,
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
I will never eat them again. I saw a Tv program. There they are
all in their tanks, seeming happy, mating. Swimming. Next day the
females are in another tank on the bottom, not moving. The
journalist asked what was the matter with them. The person there
refused to answer. It turned out that they'd removed one eye from
the female prawns as somehow it makes them lay more eggs. Last
prawns from Thailand I ever eat.

I thought they were got from the sea. I had no idea about this.

I hate the way some people think that they can torture any live
being. My father in law has given me a bag of whole king prawns as
a thank you for something, I can't remember what. He just doesn't
think about the fact that I would find it unpleasant to say the
least to shell them. He's only known me for 41 years, he only
realized I was religious last year. I didn't want the prawns before
and want them even less now. He wouldn't know where they came from
anyway. I shall have to use them as I need the room in my freezer
for Christmas and don't want to cause a row with DH by throwing
them away.

Judith

I certainly agree about unnecessary cruelty in the raising and
processing of food animals, although in my case religion has nothing
to do with it. (Although I was involved with church music for much of
my life, I tend toward agnosticism more and more, the older I get.) I
tried (briefly) to become a vegetarian, but like our favorite
companion animals, I am too much a carnivore for that. However, I
see no reason pigs, cattle, poultry and whatever cannot be accorded a
decent quality of life until the fateful day. (I no longer eat
lobster since I discovered they boil the poor critters alive!)

My opinions on cruelty is nothing to do with my being religious, it
was just to show how little he knows me after 41 years even though we
are quite close.

He's 89 years old and finds it difficult to eat, he just doesn't fancy
it when he's cooked it. However, for father's day this year DH thought
that his dad might enjoy a lobster. Now he knows my views on this and
it's not just the fact they boil them alive but also that they ship
them around alive with their claws tied together. So he had to ask if
it was ok to get one for his dad. I said he could but I didn't want to
know anything about it. His dad loved it, ate it all and has ordered
several since for himself. (Online which is very good considering he's
not had his computer a year yet.) DH is not allowed to have one
though.

I too would like to be vegetarian, I do have several friends who are
but my convictions aren't strong enough for me to cook different meals
for DH and myself and I like meat. We do have quite a few meals
without meat though. I buy meat and eggs that has been reared with
care and decency. If I divorce DH (unlikely since we've managed to
stay together 41 years 4 courting (how old fashioned is that?) and 37
married) or more likely murder him, I'll go vegetarian.

Judith

Couldwe have DH's opinion about that, please pretty please?????
You are a bit too extreme to my taste..........
Old December 10th 12, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

When I said I didn't want my cat to eat anything from China, I was accused
of being a racist. I don't care. When China put melamine in cat food to
boost the protein and not care how it killed them, yes, call me a racist if
I say The Chinese killed cats in America by introducing melamine to their
diet,
They did.

The government and its various agencies are very corrupt in China, and
the oversight in terms of food safety is negligible. So yeah, I wouldn't
buy food from them, either, though I'm less optimistic than you are about
being able to avoid it. I also don't think China is the only place where
they cut corners to save money, taking the risk that their products will
be unsafe. It's just the most popular place to buy ingredients from or
to outsource to, at the moment, because they do everything so cheaply.
Which they are able to do because workers are low-paid and working
conditions are horrible there. Saves a bundle!

This doesn't mean I think the US government is pristine. Large corporate
sectors (such as agribusiness) have the government by the short hairs. I
trust our food industry less and less.

Neither of these comments have much to do with race, though. I'm criticizing
systems, not people. People might have built systems, but institutions
take on lives of their own.

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster
Old December 10th 12, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Judith Latham wrote in

I too would like to be vegetarian, I do have several friends who are
but my convictions aren't strong enough for me to cook different meals
for DH and myself and I like meat. We do have quite a few meals
without meat though. I buy meat and eggs that has been reared with
care and decency. If I divorce DH (unlikely since we've managed to
stay together 41 years 4 courting (how old fashioned is that?) and 37
married) or more likely murder him, I'll go vegetarian.

Couldwe have DH's opinion about that, please pretty please?????
You are a bit too extreme to my taste..........

Sjouke -

She was joking. Humor doesn't always translate well from one culture
(or language) to another and I think you're taking her comment too
seriously. Don't worry - we're talking about a woman who won't eat meat
if the animal was mistreated. She doesn't sound like the murdering
kind to me.

Old December 11th 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Friday, December 7, 2012 4:12:53 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
I will never eat them again.

I saw a Tv program. There they are all in their tanks, seeming happy,

mating. Swimming.

Next day the females are in another tank on the bottom, not moving. The

journalist asked what was the matter with them. The person there refused to

answer.

It turned out that they'd removed one eye from the female prawns as somehow

it makes them lay more eggs.

Last prawns from Thailand I ever eat.

I thought they were got from the sea. I had no idea about this.

Just saw on the Today show (a U.S. morning show) that seafood are often mislabelled, replaced with cheaper fish. -- Winnie
Old December 11th 12, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/11/2012 8:57 AM, Rusty wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2012 4:12:53 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
I will never eat them again.

I saw a Tv program. There they are all in their tanks, seeming happy,

mating. Swimming.

Next day the females are in another tank on the bottom, not moving. The

journalist asked what was the matter with them. The person there refused to

answer.

It turned out that they'd removed one eye from the female prawns as somehow

it makes them lay more eggs.

Last prawns from Thailand I ever eat.

I thought they were got from the sea. I had no idea about this.

Just saw on the Today show (a U.S. morning show) that seafood are often mislabelled, replaced with cheaper fish. -- Winnie

If you like sea scallops, that's one of the things to watch out for...
they might not be scallops at all. Some unscrupulous companies
substitute inexpensive types of white fish cut to *look* like scallops.

Jill
Old December 11th 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:20:35 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I do like scallops. Used to buy them from the fresh seafood section of supermarkets. Now I will probably limit myself to a reputable seafood
store in the old fashioned market area. The store has been in town for over 100
years. Their products are a bit more pricey but probably worth it. -- Winnie

[BW] King Of... Yowie Cat anecdotes 5 August 29th 08 02:02 PM
Cat Ala King Billy Colburn Cat anecdotes 0 March 31st 08 04:05 AM
It's winter in Thailand - OT badwilson Cat anecdotes 36 December 23rd 05 12:00 AM
Violence in Thailand Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 2 April 28th 04 02:29 PM
Deo is still King Bev Cat anecdotes 16 April 19th 04 07:42 PM