rats

Old December 15th 12, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default rats

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this
morning.

--
Adrian

It's no mean feat for a cat to kill a rat. Well done, Baggy.

Boyfie sends his congratulations too!

And he also says, a bit under his breath, "Better you than me."

--

Boyfie only catches the small ones. The big ones have teeth like chisels
and fight like demons if they are caught, they are even a challenge to
the
terriers sometimes.
If Baggy caught 2 big healthy rats Boyfie would be well impressed.
I praise Boyfie if he brings me a small dead rat. It does stop it
growing
up. He is sensible about big rats, he sees them and pretends he doesn't.
He washes himself as they saunter past. I don't want him to tackle those
big boys, I've seen them almost take the face off the terriers. Terriers
bred to hunt don't seem to care how much they are hurt ratting. Here,
one
of the terriers nearly got her nose bitten off by a very big rat when
we
had a rat hunt. She absolutely did not care how injured she got and got
him. The terrier men said no she doesn't need antiseptic on her nose. I
said she did. I said you will never come here again to hunt rats unless
you let me do it. So they did.

I love the terrier men and the terriers they breed will kill absolutely
anything. They are very hard dogs and don't seem to feel much pain when
they
are killing.

So I dabbed the dog's nose with antiseptic and took their smirks.

Tweed

They weren't as big as one Shadow killed a few years ago, I think he being
feral made him a better hunter. He didn't bother hunting after he moved
in.
--
Adrian

Feral cats will take on bigger rats than a "sit by the fire and go out
occasionally" cat..
Boyfie wants to know how big Baggy's rats were. In inches end of nose to
base of tail.
He is prepared to be impressed.
Tweed

Old December 15th 12, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this morning.
What's gotten into him all of a sudden?

It has been very cold for a few days here, I think that may have
slowed the rats down.

Rats will also be slowed down by the early symptoms of bubonic plague.

Old December 15th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

news

Adrian wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
On 12/14/2012 10:36 AM, Adrian wrote:
Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this
morning.

Were they presented to you as gifts?

Jill

No, fortunately he left them outside.

When I lived in Pasadena with two (sometimes three)indoor/outdoor cats,
they were always catching those little California fruit rats and bringing
them home. They didn't exactly present them as "gifts", but once they let
them loose in the house, they seemed to assume they BELONGED there, and
lost interest in recapturing them.

Cats need to learn that killing bite. Boyfie did bring a few prey items
back alive when he was an apprentice and let them go in the house. I spent a
few hours trying to get a young rat out from behind my washing machine, but
luckily KFC was still up to speed and chomped it. He seemed to learn from
that and anything he brings to the house now is deceased. Unfortunately he
never leaves it outside. It is always a gift
I always praise him if it's a rat. even if he leaves it where he knows I'll
step on it. It's his way of making sure I don''t miss noticing a) how
brave he's been b) that's your breakfast from myself

Tweed

Old December 15th 12, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Probably about ten inches, not as big as they can get.
--
Adrian
Old December 16th 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jack Campin wrote:
Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this morning.
What's gotten into him all of a sudden?

It has been very cold for a few days here, I think that may have
slowed the rats down.

Rats will also be slowed down by the early symptoms of bubonic plague.

Brrrr! (THAT'S a chilling thought!)
Old December 17th 12, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
occasionally" cat..

Boyfie wants to know how big Baggy's rats were. In inches end of nose to
base of tail.
He is prepared to be impressed.
Tweed

Probably about ten inches, not as big as they can get.
--
Adrian

Blimey! He *is* impressed..

Tweed

Old December 17th 12, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:

Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this morning.

What's gotten into him all of a sudden?

--
Joyce

Most Brit cats are allowed out and will hunt if they can. It's what cats
should do.

Old December 17th 12, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Adrian wrote:

Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this morning.

What's gotten into him all of a sudden?

Most Brit cats are allowed out and will hunt if they can. It's what cats
should do.

Oh, I know - I just hadn't heard Adrian mention that before, so I thought
Baggy was up to something new. Silly me, I'm sure that Baggy has been happily
hunting away, whether I've known about it or not.

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker
Old December 18th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Adrian wrote:

Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this morning.

What's gotten into him all of a sudden?

Most Brit cats are allowed out and will hunt if they can. It's what cats
should do.

Oh, I know - I just hadn't heard Adrian mention that before, so I thought
Baggy was up to something new. Silly me, I'm sure that Baggy has been happily
hunting away, whether I've known about it or not.

He's never caught rats before, just mice and a few birds. I hate it when he
catches birds, thankfully it's not that often.

--
Adrian
Old December 21st 12, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Bastette wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

Adrian wrote:

Baggy has killed two rats this week, one yesterday and one this

morning.

What's gotten into him all of a sudden?

Most Brit cats are allowed out and will hunt if they can. It's what

cats
should do.

Oh, I know - I just hadn't heard Adrian mention that before, so I thought
Baggy was up to something new. Silly me, I'm sure that Baggy has been
happily
hunting away, whether I've known about it or not.

He's never caught rats before, just mice and a few birds. I hate it when
he
catches birds, thankfully it's not that often.

--
Adrian

Boyfie will not catch rats above about 5 inches in body length, otherwise
they get very big teeth and bite him back. He prefers to exercise his skills
on the smaller ones.
He rarely catches birds now (I hate that too) he mainly did that to bring
back something for KFC. He's never laid a tooth or claw on a collared dove
since she went to The Bridge.

Boyfie doesn't want to take away Baggy's triumph but wonders if, since he's
never caught a big rat before, whether your neighbours might have been
poisoning and he picked up a dying one? Two ten inch rats in full health
are serious fighters and if he's never caught one, I really think it's
unlikely that he suddenly decided to catch them.

For 8,10 and 12 inch rats I bring in the terriers. Even they. sometimes,
despite they will kill anything in their path are challenged by a big rat, I
once had to try and put back a terriers nose when it was half bitten off by
a 12 inch rat, but she got him eventually

Boyfie is a bit more sensible. He catches the small ones. The big ones
will bite him severely and he knows it, get the terriers in. However if I
do I have to make sure he is inside the house otherwise the terriers will
kill him along with the rats.
They are so fierce that I am almost afraid of them.
I am assured they are fine with humans, but one of them killed another dog
she was
in the kennel with for years.
This was Jess who seemed a nice dog here but I would never trust her near a
child.
This happens when you breed dogs to kill.