Schitzo kitty

Old February 11th 04, 09:38 PM
NHCatLover

Default Schitzo kitty

My wife and I have been together for about 4 years and got married
about 9 months ago. She has had her cat for about 3.5 years so I have
always been around in the cats life. In fact for almost a year and a
half Zoomie (the cat) would let no one but me pick her up pr rub her
belly.

Zoomie and my wife moved into our new apartment about 4 months before
we got married then I moved in too. Zoomie was aloof at best for
several months but has recently started to come to me sometimes when I
call her. Every now an then she tells me she wants to be picked up and
I am able to hold her for a short time.

Here is the part I don't understand:

Zoomie will let me pet or hold her for a while. She will purr and
cuddle into me. Then suddenly, without any warning I can see she will
try to bite and scratch me and will hiss like a lizard.

Zoomie is declawed (not my idea) and I am usually faster then she is
so the biting and scratching does not bother me so much.. I just hate
to get her so upset.

Can anyone suggest a reason for the sudden turns in her behavior or
more importantly what can I do to help her feel more comfortable with
me

Thanks in advance.
-Alex-
Old February 11th 04, 10:29 PM
Karen

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message
On 11 Feb 2004 13:38:06 -0800, (NHCatLover) wrote:

[...]

If you find an answer to that one, please let me know. All I can say
is watch her eyes! When TuTu gets in that mood, she looks at me like
prey instead of meowmie.

Pearl is like this. I just put her down when it happens and ignore her
completely. For the most part, the behaviour has eventually way subsided.
It's in her nature and she cannot help it. You can just tell looking at her,
she can't help it, but over the year and a half I've had her by consistantly
just leaving her completely alone when her mood changes, I find that that
mood comes on less and less. Also, for the OP, you might consider carrying a
couple treats she likes in your pockets to distract her to a *good thing*
when you see the mood begin to change. I've gotten very good at seeing
Pearl's mood come on (there *are* indicators believe it or not, even if it
is just that when cuddling she suddenly stiffens up or stops purring; that
is the point where you put her down or get up or distract her with a toy or
food; it will help "change" or redirect the mood.)

Karen

Old February 11th 04, 10:34 PM
Judy F

Sometimes you have to watch the cat for signs that they are about to bite. I
have an older cat who loves to sit on my lap and purrs, but if I get
distracted and just continue to pet her without watching her, she sometimes
bites me! When I do pay attention, I have noticed that after awhile she may
get restless, or start to stare at me or my hand. That's usually the sign to
stop petting immediately!
Judy F

Old February 11th 04, 11:25 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"NHCatLover" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Zoomie... good name for a cat!, esp. one for who tends to zoom from place to
place to place, around the house. Esp. when they get the "midnight (or
11:00 pm) crazies". Zoom, zoom, zoom! ;-)

Most cats seem to have different saturation points, before hauling off &
letting you have it. First they're perfectly happy being petted, then they
will be ambivalent, then their tolerance disappears.

Look for subtle signs of the ambivalence: tail starting to flick, ears
starting to move back a bit, etc.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 12th 04, 01:09 AM
Mary

"NHCatLover" wrote in message
om...

Can anyone suggest a reason for the sudden turns in her behavior or
more importantly what can I do to help her feel more comfortable

with
me

Alex, declawed cats often develop aggressive behavior because they
feel helpless. (I don't have an agenda here, I actually did this to an
already agressive cat and watched her get worse.) For example, if I am
up in Cheeky's face too long, playing and poking and petting, her tail
starts to flip and she will actually extend a paw in front and the
claws come out just like in cartoons, one at a time, "ping ping ping!"
as a warning, I guess! LOL! Cats without claws are aware of the
mutilation of their front feet and overcompensate with hissing and
biting when they feel overstimulated or threatened in any way. Petting
bellies sometimes brings out an instinctual protection reaction in
some cats, too.

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 11:13 AM