Tiger Conjunctivitis: Are cats allergic to humans?

Old March 31st 05, 07:50 AM
Brian Link

Default Tiger Conjunctivitis: Are cats allergic to humans?

In what has arisen as a supreme irony, it turns out that Tiger may be
allergic to my son's visiting girlfriend, who in turn is allergic to
Louis.

The vet asked what had changed in Tiger's environment before the
outbreak of conjunctivitis. All I could offer at the time is that the
weather had finally turned pleasant in Minnesota, and we'd opened the
windows.

After that, it dawned on me that the other major change was that my
son's girlfriend was visiting from LA (they met on the internet.. very
cool story all on its own.. and she's actually a pretty great person).

When this realization hit, I asked her to refrain from petting Tiger.
Within a day his eye had returned to normal, and the redness had
disappeared.

As a test, today we asked her to cuddle him (not difficult, since he's
a really loving cat). Sure enough, his eye started squinting late this
evening - though we held back from applying the steroid goo.

Maybe it's her shampoo, or pollen carried from southern california,
but it sure seems like there's some correlation between her contact
and Tiger's outbreaks.

How incredibly and sadly ironic.

BLink
Old March 31st 05, 08:02 AM
-L.

Brian Link wrote:
In what has arisen as a supreme irony, it turns out that Tiger may be
allergic to my son's visiting girlfriend, who in turn is allergic to
Louis.

The vet asked what had changed in Tiger's environment before the
outbreak of conjunctivitis. All I could offer at the time is that the
weather had finally turned pleasant in Minnesota, and we'd opened the
windows.

After that, it dawned on me that the other major change was that my
son's girlfriend was visiting from LA (they met on the internet..

very
cool story all on its own.. and she's actually a pretty great

person).

I met DH on the Internet. He searched for "Klingon" and found me.

When this realization hit, I asked her to refrain from petting Tiger.
Within a day his eye had returned to normal, and the redness had
disappeared.

As a test, today we asked her to cuddle him (not difficult, since

he's
a really loving cat). Sure enough, his eye started squinting late

this
evening - though we held back from applying the steroid goo.

Maybe it's her shampoo, or pollen carried from southern california,
but it sure seems like there's some correlation between her contact
and Tiger's outbreaks.

How incredibly and sadly ironic.

BLink

Probably a lotion, shampoo, soap or some other scented product she
uses.

-L.

Old March 31st 05, 09:41 AM
Mary

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

Please try not to unload your Expensive Bengal because he is
inconvenient.

Old March 31st 05, 10:09 AM
MaryL

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

Ask the girlfriend to think about *any* products she may be using,
especially scented products -- shampoo, deodorant, perfume, dishsoap, even
laundry detergent (and "drying sheets" such as Bounce). Then she may need
to eliminate them one-by-one to see if any of them cause the allergic
reaction you described. Above all, does she smoke? That is a major
allergen in both cats and humans.

MaryL

Old March 31st 05, 01:29 PM
Wendy

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Link wrote:
[...]

Laundry detergent maybe?

Old April 4th 05, 05:56 AM
Brian Link

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:41:58 -0500, "Mary" wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No chance. He was bought as a companion for Tiger, and has filled that
role beautifully.

Not that you actually care about cats.

Perhaps if I wrote "despite my best efforts to make them enemies,
Louis and Tiger are friends" you would come to my original conclusion.

Sad girl. Do you have health insurance? You know that modern
psychology is quite capable? You just have to ask.

Best of luck in your recovery.

BLink