Would appreciate feedback

Old August 5th 05, 09:56 AM
Stan Gilbert

Default Would appreciate feedback

This is NOT intended as spam and I am truly looking for suggestions.

Kiki, my cat of 19 years died some time ago and I swore I wouldn't get
another... just too painful to lose them. That lasted two weeks and I got
Scooter and then a companion for her... Bandit.

I'm in my late 50's and retired. I worried something could happen to me
where I would be incapacitated and unable to communicate with someone (I'm at
an age people have strokes) and my cats would die from lack of food or water.
I went onto the net to try and find a service that would help but there
wasn't any... so, I created one.

Caroline and I got very involved with this project and we decided to put all
the profit into animal welfare. Our site just went online (finally) this
last week... so, naturally I am trying to draw traffic to the site. We have
applied for 201(3)c (non profit) status.

It's taken a lot of hard work to put this together and what I need from pet
owners is feedback on the idea. We also had the idea of a service where
people would check in every few days and if they failed to check in we'd
initiate a rescue (see the site to understand this). This is the service I
originally went looking for but couldn't find.

We started out with this idea but withdrew it because my thoughts are that
people would not take the time to check in regularly... it would sound good
to them, they'd sign up... and then not use the service and my attitude is I
don't want anyone paying for something they don't use.

Some people thought it was a great idea for folks over 60 but I'm thinking
most folks over 60 don't have access to a computer... I'm mostly talking
about people who live alone and don't have much contact... or even older
couples.

Actually, anyone could get in an accident and leave pets unattended. I
seriously worried about my cats because, quite frankly, if something happened
to me and Caroline I'm not sure anyone would know it for a week or two and
that could be too late for Scooter and Bandit.

We came up with an idea we think is affordable and useful and can contribute
to funding the front line workers who try to save animals.

Caroline and I would deeply appreciate any constructive ideas or comments you
might have about the service. Please visit us and take a look...

http://www.petownersfriend.org/

.... and to visit the website (entirely non commercial) I created in memory of
Kiki the cat, for whom I have really dedicated this service... visit...

http://www.thetuxedocat.com/

Thanks from both of us...
Caroline and Stan

Please feel free to drop us a line or post here...

Old August 5th 05, 10:38 AM
jmcquown

Stan Gilbert wrote:
This is NOT intended as spam and I am truly looking for suggestions.

Kiki, my cat of 19 years died some time ago and I swore I wouldn't get
another... just too painful to lose them. That lasted two weeks and
I got Scooter and then a companion for her... Bandit.

I'm in my late 50's and retired. I worried something could happen to
me where I would be incapacitated and unable to communicate with
someone (I'm at an age people have strokes) and my cats would die
from lack of food or water. I went onto the net to try and find a
service that would help but there wasn't any... so, I created one.

You asked for feedback, you got it. I don't know about you, but the folks
on this newsgroup are all pretty familiar with each other. We let each
other know
about planned trips. Some of us have set up "contacts" whereby if we don't
post here for a specified length of time they know how to make sure our
pets (or we) are not dead. They have our phone numbers; they have the phone
numbers of people who can get to us and our homes if need be. We also have
a number of people here who particpate in cat rescue organizations,
shelters,
fostering, etc. And guess what? It doesn't cost us a thing!!

Sorry to hear about Kiki, but you aren't going to get money from me no
matter how heart-rending the tale may be. I must say this is one of the
most literate attempts at spamming I've ever run across!

And now on to our regularly scheduled programming:

Fat Hamburgers

1 lb. ground chuck
4 oz. sliced button mushrooms
8 oz. sliced water chestnuts, drained
3 Tbs. teriyaki sauce
2 Tbs. cornstarch (as a binder)
1 Tbs. dry sherry (not essential Catnipped! try a splash of Worcestershire)
1 tsp. sugar (I omit this)
1 tsp. salt (I omit this)
1 tsp. ground dried ginger
1 egg, beaten
Using a food processor or blender, puree together all ingredients *except*
the
beef and egg. Then combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. NOTE: I
find it's more desireable and less messy to place the ingredients in a large
plastic freezer bag and squoosh it all together until well mixed. Yes,
that's a technical cooking term! LOL - works well for meatloaf, too.

Form the mixture into patties about 1 inch thick. Place on a broiler rack
or grill; cook about 6 inches from the heat and to desired doneness. The
burgers *will* be moist and tends to fall apart so you might want to use
foil grill sheets if you're doing this on a grate over lump or charcoal.
Serve on toasted buns with desired toppings. These are very filling!

Apparently Persia likes them She's normally so well behaved, but that
one time she simply *had* to snag one of these off the bun when I turned my
back for a mere 20 seconds.

Jill

Old August 5th 05, 12:44 PM
Stan Gilbert

You asked for feedback, you got it. I don't know about you, but the folks
on this newsgroup are all pretty familiar with each other. We let each
other know about planned trips. Some of us have set up "contacts" whereby if

we don't
post here for a specified length of time they know how to make sure our
pets (or we) are not dead. They have our phone numbers; they have the phone
numbers of people who can get to us and our homes if need be. We also have
a number of people here who particpate in cat rescue organizations,
shelters,
fostering, etc. And guess what? It doesn't cost us a thing!!

Jill

Well, this is an excellent idea and I'm very glad to hear you have that kind
of network. A lot of people don't... in fact... most people don't. As for
myself, I would never rely on someone rummaging through posts to make sure
I'd made a recent appearance to save my pets if they didn't find one.

I must say this is one of the
most literate attempts at spamming I've ever run across!

And I'm not sure there is anyplace left on earth to announce a service and
get good feedback from people like yourself without making an appeal in
places like this. I didn't offer up a straight plea to visit the site and
spend money... I didn't offer fake testimonials to encourage visits... I
simply asked for ways to improve this idea from the people who would know...
people like yourself.

It's been encouraging because many people have visited the site and sent
emails from our contact page to offer constructive ideas. We received 3,512
hits in just two hours after posting here and the support and suggestions
have been wonderful.

In the end, for Caroline and myself... it is about building funding for
animal welfare and offering a substantial service in return. We are retired
with independent incomes and have no interest in personal financial gains
from Pet Owner's Friend.

For those of us who are not so well connected with as good a network as you
enjoy it could be nice to know that no matter where we were in the world, 24
hours a day, help could be immediately dispatched to our pets if something
happened to us.

I don't understand some of this world... no matter where you go these days
you can't say this and you can't say that... without being accused of
spamming or political incorrectness.

If I relied on advertising to get the word out it would be expensive and time
consuming and I'd risk not getting the word to the people who matter, like
visitors to these groups. I'd be better off just donating my money straight
up to animal welfare and do nothing to help beyond that.

Perhaps you could be less insulting and more involved with helping animals as
they become more and more neglected... and consider, there are many people
who work long hard hours to shelter animals and find new homes for them.

These people give all their time and resources for a 7 day job that is often
frustrating and thankless and they constantly need money, animal food,
litter, and anything they can get to save these lives.

Thanks Jill for your comments... I would hope everyone here has friends they
can rely on to save their pets in an emergency. You offer up a good
suggestion and I think I'll try to put something on the site that is
available to everyone for networking.

Old August 5th 05, 01:14 PM
jmcquown

Stan Gilbert wrote:
And I'm not sure there is anyplace left on earth to announce a
service and
get good feedback from people like yourself without making an appeal
in
places like this. I didn't offer up a straight plea to visit the
site and spend money...

That's totally irrelevant. You posted a link which asks for money; asks for
people to pay for "protection" for their pets, but I have yet to figure out
how these people you claim work for the organization would know that our
pets need care or that anything had happened to incapacitate one of us.
Unless the $19.95 includes someone sitting in my house with me 24/7.

It's been encouraging because many people have visited the site and
sent emails from our contact page to offer constructive ideas. We
received 3,512 hits in just two hours after posting here

Yep, it's a natural inclination (human curiosity) to try to figure out what
you are posting (or in this case, selling).

In the end, for Caroline and myself... it is about building funding
for
animal welfare and offering a substantial service in return. We are
retired with independent incomes and have no interest in personal
financial gains
from Pet Owner's Friend.

For those of us who are not so well connected with as good a network
as you enjoy it could be nice to know that no matter where we were in
the world, 24 hours a day, help could be immediately dispatched to
our pets if something happened to us.

Yeah, preaching to the choir, Stan. You want us to PAY to have someone
dispatched in the event of an emergency... but how on earth would your
"network" know if there was an emergency in my household and know to come
take care of my pets? I quote from your web site: "The idea is simple. For
less than 6 cents a day you have confidence in your pet's safety if anything
happens to you." But how the hell do you know if something has happened to
me?!

I don't understand some of this world... no matter where you go these
days
you can't say this and you can't say that... without being accused of
spamming or political incorrectness.

Trust me, I don't care for that, either. But we have only your word for it
how the funds will be spent, don't we?

Perhaps you could be less insulting and more involved with helping
animals as they become more and more neglected... and consider, there
are many people
who work long hard hours to shelter animals and find new homes for
them.

Who are you to say how involved I am (or not)?

These people give all their time and resources for a 7 day job that
is often frustrating and thankless and they constantly need money,
animal food,
litter, and anything they can get to save these lives.

Uh huh. We know all about that, thanks. We have many participants who do
foster-care for cats, abandoned kittens; people who socialize ferals; people
who work in shelters; people who donate time, food and money. Who are you
to come in here and accuse me of being "insulting" when you tell your story
about Kiki (and yes, I'm sorry for your loss of Kiki) and then provide a
link to a web site asking for money? We have ONLY your word for where the
funds are going. Your own site states "More than 25% of your enrollment is
donated to support animal welfare organizations!" Technically, this means
it could be 26% which ain't a hell of a lot; where's the profit going if
this is non-profit?

You don't impress me nor change my opinion of this SPAM. I must reassert,
however, you are creative.

Jill (might post a recipe for SPAM fried rice next time)

Old August 5th 05, 02:33 PM
Karen

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Stan Gilbert wrote:
[...]

Well, I haven't gone to the site yet, but it is cat related, and an honest
concern. I guess, I can certainly forgive it anyway as it is something I
worry about too. I'll have to look at the service. I don't know that I would
do it now since folks at work would know soemthing was up in a day or two,
but if I was retired or older?? I would definitely consider it.

Old August 5th 05, 03:27 PM
Stan Gilbert

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:14:32 +0100, jmcquown wrote
(in article ):

That's totally irrelevant. You posted a link which asks for money; asks for
people to pay for "protection" for their pets,

I beg your pardon... I did not ask anyone to visit the website and spend
money. If I had done that it would have said to visit us... for only $19.95
you can... bla bla bla.

I asked for constructive feedback.

but I have yet to figure out
how these people you claim work for the organization would know that our
pets need care or that anything had happened to incapacitate one of us.
Unless the $19.95 includes someone sitting in my house with me 24/7.

The reason you can't figure it out is simply because you'd rather make
pointed remarks about someone sitting with you 24/7 rather than actually
visiting the site to educate yourself about how the service works.

To answer the question for you, and anyone else like you... who would like to
make commentary on something they know nothing about... I have posted an
explanation of our service as a separate post.

Old August 5th 05, 03:46 PM
Stan Gilbert

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:14:32 +0100, jmcquown wrote
(in article ):

Uh huh. We know all about that, thanks. We have many participants who do
foster-care for cats, abandoned kittens; people who socialize ferals; people
who work in shelters; people who donate time, food and money. Who are you
to come in here and accuse me of being "insulting" when you tell your story
about Kiki (and yes, I'm sorry for your loss of Kiki) and then provide a
link to a web site asking for money? We have ONLY your word for where the
funds are going. Your own site states "More than 25% of your enrollment is
donated to support animal welfare organizations!" Technically, this means
it could be 26% which ain't a hell of a lot; where's the profit going if
this is non-profit?

Yes, Jill... I am terribly sorry that in a world like we live in today...
indeed, at the moment you only have my word and it is very unfortunate that
you... and I... and most of us... are wary of all the fraud to the point we
now believe nobody and assume everyone is corrupt until proven otherwise.

Sorry for the typo as well (thanks for pointing it out)... it now correctly
states more than 50%. So, now... technically... that'd be 51% in your eyes.
However, a great deal of effort and cost has gone into this solely as a
project to raise funds for animal welfare and we really hope to give away
almost 90% of the income

As soon as I can I will start posting the beneficiaries on the site so you
will have free access to them (assuming they agree) to not only verify the
funding but perhaps donate to them as well.

I might add... there are many link sharing reseller programs with pet
suppliers to provide funding for animal welfare groups. They are purely
commercial operations selling to earn profit and they pay... typically $1
(that's right... one dollar) and some of them up to 25% with just a couple
who will pay 40 to 50%.

You say that's not much... tell that to the people who need and appreciate
every dollar they can get. Tell that to Best Friends who raises millions of
dollars every year (their statement is online) from $25 donations.

We even offer our vendors an auditor to check their click throughs and sales
and request an emergency check early if they need it. I don't know anyone
who does that except for us.

Where is the profit going?... you ask. First... we have NO profit. The
income we receive creates the site and all the complex back end programming
that supports vendors and memberships. It pays for the server and the
maintenance of the database so it is always backed up, operational, and safe.
When someone enrolls who came from one of our vendor sites... typically all
animal welfare organizations... 50% immediately goes to them... right off the
top.

After that... anything that is left over goes straight to animal welfare
funding.

Thanks for your concern Jill

Stan
www.petownersfriend.org

Old August 5th 05, 06:32 PM
Stan Gilbert

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:53:38 +0100, Duke of URL wrote
(in article ):

jmcquown @
Stan Gilbert wrote:

And I'm not sure there is anyplace left on earth to announce a
service and
get good feedback from people like yourself without making an appeal
in
places like this. I didn't offer up a straight plea to visit the
site and spend money...

That's totally irrelevant. You posted a link which asks for money;
asks for people to pay for "protection" for their pets, but I have
yet to figure out how these people you claim work for the
organization would know that our pets need care or that anything had
happened to incapacitate one of us. Unless the $19.95 includes
someone sitting in my house with me 24/7.

If you live in the USA, a check-on-you service is available free.
Simply let your postmaster know that you aren't in good health. The PM will
see to it that your letter-carrier keeps an eye on the status of your
mailbox. For example, if mine goes unemptied for more than 7 days, the Post
Office will notify the Police Department. The PD will then attempt to
contact me by telephone; if they can't, then they will open my door (key
from the owners of the apt bldg) and find out if I'm okay.

Please be very careful with this thinking... we did not go into this lightly
and we did considerable research. While I think your ambition is terrific
let me illustrate some of the realities.

First of all... all our pet owner's data, their pets, and their contacts are
in a monitored database that is online 24/7 from anywhere in the world.

How will you store everyone's data?... on a rolodex?... in a database?... and
will it always be with you?

If one of your members is traveling in Europe or Mexico... will authorities
there be willing to make a long distance phone call to you at their
expense?... and considering the time differences will you be willing to
answer that phone call... will you always be available?

Are you going to respond to a phone call at 3 AM on a Sunday morning to look
through your rolodex and start calling someone's contacts.

Are you willing to publish your home phone number on laminated cards people
will carry around with them?

These are the points of our service... it follows you wherever you go and
anyone with a computer can initiate a rescue at no cost to them and virtually
no inconvenience.

Maybe we have a better thought... suppose we put together a package you can
hand out to people who adopt animals that gives them our service for free for
say... 90 days. That's a full quarter year (3 months). You offer an
incentive to observe pet safety and a valuable extra when they adopt. We'll
worry about signing them up for payment after their trial period.

Again... this is not about us making money... it's about building funds for
animal welfare.

I learned a long time ago in business... no matter how well intentioned I was
it was often better to let people who are prepared to handle special tasks
manage them... particularly if they are fully geared up to do it.

Also... consider the legal issues. If you go ahead with this you need to
understand the nature of people. They can be friendly in one minute but if
their pets die because you lost your rolodex or were not home to receive a
call... you better have an iron clad agreement that relieves you of
responsibility. It's just the way it is.

As a side note... we will be offering very nice "print them yourself"
customized window placards. It's been on the drawing board for a couple of
months now.

Old August 5th 05, 06:48 PM
jmcquown

Stan Gilbert wrote:

[...]

You are still skipping around the major contention, Stan. You tend to think
emergencies will only occur if someone is away from home and the pets need
"rescuing". When I'm away from home, unless it's a quick trip to the store,
they are boarded at the vet. And the vet knows how to contact me, 24/7. If
they can't contact me, they can and will contact a family member or friend.
That's why there are "emergency contacts" listed. And, as Sherry mentioned,
I keep information in my wallet about having pets... so if I get in an
accident or something the authorities know to go to my home and who to call
about my cat and my parrot.

How will you store everyone's data?... on a rolodex?... in a
database?... and will it always be with you?

Oh puleeeze. Just takes a card in the wallet "NOTIFY so-and-so to take care
of my pets". For this, we don't need a database.

If one of your members is traveling in Europe or Mexico... will
authorities there be willing to make a long distance phone call to
you at their expense?... and considering the time differences will
you be willing to answer that phone call... will you always be
available?

This is an International newsgroup; we can and do contact each other at all
hours of the day and night if deemed necessary.

Are you going to respond to a phone call at 3 AM on a Sunday morning
to look through your rolodex and start calling someone's contacts.

I answer the phone most any time if I'm home. Don't you?

Are you willing to publish your home phone number on laminated cards
people will carry around with them?

The card only needs to be in *my* possession. If I'm found dead by the side
of the road, won't matter much who has my phone number since I'm not going
to be there to answer the phone

And if I'm dead or otherwise incapacitated in my house for any period of
time, my neighbor or landlord or brother or the police will check in on me.
So in the end, you're still offering nothing.

As a side note... we will be offering very nice "print them yourself"
customized window placards. It's been on the drawing board for a
couple of months now.

Too bad you're about 3 years too late on that window placard idea. LOL

Jill