*ARGH* [OT]

Old July 13th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Default *ARGH* [OT]

Lesley wrote:

CatNipped wrote:

OK, the surgeon called me while I was in the interview this afternoon and I
missed his call!!!! He's supposed to call me back, but it's now almost 5PM
here and his office is closed!!!!!!!!! *ARGH*!

I just wanted to ask how your interview went..I've got one today as
well....I HATE them but just lately I seem to be getting a lot of them
only to not get the job, maybe I only look good on paper?! :-))))

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lots of purrs and best wishes for you both to get great jobs, CN and Lesley,
Polonca and Soncek

Old July 14th 06, 10:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

CatNipped wrote:

Typical interview with an recruiter - they interviewed me then took umpteen
tests of my office skills. They told me I scored *way* above average, I was
*very* marketable, presentable, intelligent, etc., etc. puke - and
afterwards I hear nothing at all. What I think they really do is just
create a huge "corral" of potential employees. A mass of "bodies" to throw
at potential employers, "shotgunning" interviews in the hopes of scoring a
few hits and earning their commissions.

Tell me about it. I've had an agency send me to a job that was
impossible to get to on a daily basis (annoyingly it was a cracking job
and they more or less offered it to me on the spot- they saw my address
but figured I was moving to the area). But the one that really annoys
me is when they send you for a job and for whatever reason you don't
get it...They just don't bother with you again....My favourite recent
one was an interview where the feedback was that they were stunned by
my skills but didn't like my personality! As I say obviously I'm only
good on paper!

Still maybe today some good news....The interview yesterday went better
than expected (it helped that I've been there before and all the tests
and questions were identical) and they will be calling me today or
early next week so keep purring please!

Old July 14th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

All our motors are running at top rev for you to get the perfect job!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 14th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Typical interview with an recruiter - they interviewed me then took umpteen
tests of my office skills.

Tell me about it. I've had an agency send me to a job that was
impossible to get to on a daily basis (annoyingly it was a cracking job
and they more or less offered it to me on the spot- they saw my address
but figured I was moving to the area). But the one that really annoys
me is when they send you for a job and for whatever reason you don't
get it...They just don't bother with you again....

I've done testing for government jobs, and I was told that I was one of
the top scorers...then never called (and they instruct you not to call
them.) I don't think they HIRE the top scorers. I think they pick
people from the mid range because the top scorers "are too smart for
this job"

(I felt really smart when I was scrounging for grocery money. Yeah.)

I applied with an agency that sent me on several interviews, but the
agency sent several people to each interview and I kept coming in
second-choice, repeatedly. After a year I went back to school. Three
months later, one of the places I interviewed called me. They didn't
like the first person and wondered if I wanted the job. Well, I
couldn't drop out of school to take it so...too late, I had to decline.

I agree with what was said before though...if they allow you, call them
weekly and ask if anything is available. The more interest you show,
the more positively they respond to you.

--Fil
who's learned to lie on those testing sheets
because "I work best alone" seems to translate as "I can't play nice
with anyone" to the recruiter
so I just say "I value teamwork" because that's what they want to hear

Old July 14th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...

Typical interview with an recruiter - they interviewed me then took
umpteen
tests of my office skills.

Tell me about it. I've had an agency send me to a job that was
impossible to get to on a daily basis (annoyingly it was a cracking job
and they more or less offered it to me on the spot- they saw my address
but figured I was moving to the area). But the one that really annoys
me is when they send you for a job and for whatever reason you don't
get it...They just don't bother with you again....

I've done testing for government jobs, and I was told that I was one of
the top scorers...then never called (and they instruct you not to call
them.) I don't think they HIRE the top scorers. I think they pick
people from the mid range because the top scorers "are too smart for
this job"

It is very common with government jobs for them to be going through a
formality. They fully intend to give the job to someone on the inside. But
that isn't allowed by the rules. So they have to 'prove" that their first
choice is the best person for the job. And that is done my dragging hopeful
individuals with no chance what so ever through the interview and testing
process.

Jo

Old July 15th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Enfilade" wrote:
I don't think they HIRE the top scorers. I think they pick
people from the mid range because the top scorers "are too smart for
this job"

I remember reading that Enterprise Rental Car has a policy of
recruiting college graduates who have low grades, which I thought was
interesting. Their theory was that they want employees who are
educated, but who are colorful and like to have some fun.

After a year I went back to school. Three
months later, one of the places I interviewed called me. They didn't
like the first person and wondered if I wanted the job. Well, I
couldn't drop out of school to take it so...too late, I had to decline.

Three months is a long time, but that can happen. That probably means
that you really were coming in as a solid candidate. But if there are
other candidates ahead of you, the cycle of offer/accept/decline can
be pretty long like that. If a company has an opening and three
candidates, they can only offer the position to one candidate at a
time. If each candidate wants two weeks to think about it, it's going
to be a month and a half to get through those three, assuming they all
ultimately decline at the end of the two week period.

Candidates always want as long a time as possible to "think about it",
so that they can cause two or more offer periods to overlap. It's to
their advantage to have offers come in all at once, instead of one at
a time, so that they can make an optimum choice. Top candidates have
the leverage to do this, so they tend to take up time, and you end up
getting offers weeks or months later.

Old July 15th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-07-15, Takayuki penned:

Three months is a long time, but that can happen. That probably
means that you really were coming in as a solid candidate. But if
there are other candidates ahead of you, the cycle of
offer/accept/decline can be pretty long like that. If a company has
an opening and three candidates, they can only offer the position to
one candidate at a time. If each candidate wants two weeks to think
about it, it's going to be a month and a half to get through those
three, assuming they all ultimately decline at the end of the two
week period.

If that many people decline the position, it might imply that the
position isn't all that great ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 15th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Lesley wrote:

[...]

Lots of purrs and best wishes for you to get the job, Lesley,
Polonca and Soncek

Old July 17th 06, 10:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Jo Firey wrote:

It is very common with government jobs for them to be going through a
formality. They fully intend to give the job to someone on the inside. But
that isn't allowed by the rules. So they have to 'prove" that their first
choice is the best person for the job. And that is done my dragging hopeful
individuals with no chance what so ever through the interview and testing
process.

Yep, I work for the NHS and this happens all the time. When my job was
advertised I was already in post but they still had to go through all
the paperwork- I didn't feel too bad as there were 2 posts but I've had
my share of jobs where someone's already in post. One interview I went
to a while back, while I was waiting to be called, there was a girl
typing away and she suddenly got up and went out with the guy doing the
interviews and everyone wished her "Good luck" and I thought "She works
here? She's having an interview? Ahh...Why am I bothering?"

Old July 17th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Hi everyone

Just heard that I didn't get the job through apparently it was close.
Still I've now had 2 interviews at this place and I've applied for a
3rd job there (it's a 15 minute bus ride from home, which would give me
more skritching time with the Furballs!), which is the one I really
really want so let's just hope it's a case of 3rd time lucky

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

[OT] A fire next door Karen Cat anecdotes 6 June 5th 05 03:30 AM
[OT] plumbing grumbles John F. Eldredge Cat anecdotes 9 June 3rd 05 10:54 PM
[OT] Arrgghhh! Flipping insurance companies Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 3 June 3rd 05 03:40 PM
[OT] Humor Catnipped Cat anecdotes 12 May 31st 05 07:04 PM
[OT] Irony Impaired Coward Strikes Again!!! Catnipped Cat health & behaviour 10 May 29th 05 05:52 PM