I'm so worried....

Old April 22nd 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

Default I'm so worried....

"Kreisleriana"

"CatNipped"
":-)Liz"
Nutra Cal is a great appetite stimulator (it comes in a toothpaste tube
like container and you just squeeze a small amount out ...apply to
kitty's open mouth or paw if the little kitty isn't cooperating)...I've
nurse many a kitty back to health it it...Available at most vets as well
as a few pet stores that have a vet on call... Best Success and Purrs
headed your way... :-) Liz

Wow, I didn't know there was something like that available for cats!
Thanks so much for that info - I'll stop by PetsMart tonight and call the
vet if they don't carry it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Note that there *are* two or three cats in the world who don't care for it
at all-- Stinky is one of them, dammit. But most cats seem crazy about
the stuff.

As for the anxiety, I just don't know, although my heart and purrs go out
to the Samazon.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Heartfelt purrs headed your way for a better healing.
Hug
Kyla & Mosey
http://i26.tinypic.com/x440lt.jpg Mosey picture

Old April 23rd 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
blkcatgal

You can get pretty good deals on Feliway online. Check out valleyvet.com or
entirelypets.com. One diffuser covers about 600 -700 square feet.

Continue using the Homeopath Anxiety. Rescue Remedy (Bach Flower) is
another good thing to use to relieve stress. Hopefully after a day or two,
Sammy will calm down enough.

S.
---
"CatNipped" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:
On Sunday Hunter accidentally got out when DH was walking through the
hall door and Sammy happened to be just outside the door. Sammy
panicked and ran downstairs and Hunter chased her under my bed. There
were no blows exchanged, but there was a lot of trash talk going on
between them - Sammy hissing and growling in fear as Hunter tried to get
to her.

Then yesterday we had to take her to the vet's to have her anal gland
expressed and she was so frightened she urinated all over herself
(something she's never done before. She's so upset that she's stopped
eating for me - but DH said she did go and eat something (not much)
after I left for work this morning (please gawd let this be a *******
cat trick).

Does anybody know what prescription medication is used for feline
anxiety

Isn't that what "Feliway" is used for? Fortunately my cats have always
bonded (or at least learned to accept each other) with a minimum of
aggression, and no signs of anxiety. My two now are delighted with each
other's companionship. Until Cendrillon arrived, Mélisande was clearly
missing Patches (who had to be PTS due to skin cancer). They have their
occasional "spats", but those seem to be more play than genuine, they
frequently groom one another, and both of them sleep curled together on
my bed at night.

Feliway is *very* expensive (about $45 per plug-in unit here plus pricey
refills, and in my house I'd have to have about 10 to cover the whole
house).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 23rd 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

CatNipped wrote:
On Sunday Hunter accidentally got out when DH was walking through the hall
door and Sammy happened to be just outside the door. Sammy panicked and ran
downstairs and Hunter chased her under my bed. There were no blows
exchanged, but there was a lot of trash talk going on between them - Sammy
hissing and growling in fear as Hunter tried to get to her.

Then yesterday we had to take her to the vet's to have her anal gland
expressed and she was so frightened she urinated all over herself (something
she's never done before. She's so upset that she's stopped eating for me -
but DH said she did go and eat something (not much) after I left for work
this morning (please gawd let this be a ******* cat trick).

Does anybody know what prescription medication is used for feline anxiety
and what is used to stimulate appetite?

No advice to give better than what you've already gotten here, but
sending major calming purrs for Sammy.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 23rd 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:

Note that there *are* two or three cats in the world who don't care for it
at all-- Stinky is one of them, dammit. But most cats seem crazy about the
stuff.

Even Miranda, the epitome of fickle, loves that stuff.

Old April 23rd 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Kumani regularly pees herself at the vet....but is okay the rest of
the time. She is just so scared of the vet. That time when she was
on IV, and DP went to get her, she attacked him until she recognized
him and then just /clung/ (which apparently hurt more than the attack,
as she clung with all 18 claws). Still, poor kitten, they don't like
being covered in their own pee.

If Sammy doesn't eat in the next day I would definitely try that
appetite stuff and if she still won't eat then it's probably time for
anti depressants.

--Fil

Old April 23rd 08, 08:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Apr 22, 4:28*pm, Sherry wrote:

The vet has prescribed an extremely low-dose diazepam (Valium) for
Yoda to stimulate appetite. It actually worked pretty fast, IIRC I
only gave it to him two or three times. I've read it's also used
safely in cats to treat anxiety or aggression. It
might be worth discussing w/your vet if she doesn't snap out of it
soon.

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

Rusty was also put on Valium when he stopped eating the first summer I
got him. It was the first time I had to pill a cat. He drooled after
taking the pill. Scared me to death until I realized it must tasted
awful.

One time when Rusty stopped eating while on antibiotics, the vet
prescribed some Hill's A/D. Use a syringe to feed it.

Also have you tried Rescue Remedy? It is available at health food
stores. Just add 2 drops to the drinking water every day. It helps to
calm the cat.

Winnie

Old April 23rd 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default I'm so worried.... UPDATE

Sammy has calmed down and is eating again. One thing that helped is that I
discontinued trying to put them all on a canned-only diet since they were
losing *WAY* too much weight (Demi went from 7 pounds 6 ounces to 6 pounds 8
ounces and the rest had similar drastic weight losses over the two months on
canned only - more than they could safely afford to lose). They still eat
mostly canned, but I've started adding Science Diet dry as a supplement.
Sammy loves dry food the most of any of them so she was tempted into eating
a bit, then a bit more.

She's staying out in the middle of the great room again and not hiding all
the time, and she appears to be doing well on the Homeopet Anxiety drops.
I'm going to add some Rescue Remedy to everyone's drinking water. However,
they don't drink a lot of water since they eat mostly canned food - I heard
somewhere that you would rub Rescue Remedy into their ear and that works as
well. Has anyone heard this or could confirm it?

Hunter still has 5 weeks of quarantine to go, and I'm not going to start any
introductions until he gets his second FIV/FeLV test. So in light of this,
and since Sammy has calmed down again, I'm going to put off getting her
valium or Feliway for a little while longer. I'm still hoping she'll get
used to smelling his scent and won't be so panicked when she sees him again.

Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 23rd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

That sounds promising, thanks for the update.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old April 23rd 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Purring for Sammy to quickly re-discover her inner Samazon.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 23rd 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

if you can do it without drugs it would be much better for her health and
your pocketbook, that is good news, Lee