AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old November 4th 04, 05:09 PM
Tanada

Jo Firey wrote:

To add my two cents, I usually manage to ignore posts that I might find
upsetting. But there are times I want a safe place to be. When real life
gets to be too much or whatever. Usually this group is that safe place. I
believe it is that for others too. There aren't very many places like that
on the internet and its nice if we can preserve it as much as possible.

I love this group. Here is where I come when I need a shoulder to cry
on, to tell a funny story, share news, get sympathy, get told to grow
up, and so forth. I don't come here for hate mail. I can get that
anywhere else. I have a fairly thick skin for i've had to develop one.
I'm a complex mix of contradictory lifestyles, as I suspect most of us
are in here.

It is hard to find close friends in the real world here as I have to be
careful with what I express, and how much of myself I share. I can be
myself in here. I love and respect you all for that. I'd hate it if I
had to leave because this group lost its sense of common courtesy. The
basic rules of conversation seem to work in here, if it would hurt
people's feelings, or is hateful, don't say it. Is that so hard to do?

Pam S.

Old November 5th 04, 09:34 AM

Kreisleriana wrote:

"Disenfranchisement" originally referred to the many practices used
in the South to deprive black people of their right to vote.

It's become a tradition!

Joyce

Old November 5th 04, 08:09 PM
Bob M

Yeah, I have noticed the off-topic posts, but they seem to be pretty
innocuous for the most part: recipes, stories from our own lives,
jokes...things that aren't likely to prove controversial...

I dunno. After the election I was tempted to post my opinions on Mr
Bush, but then I looked over the group and figured such a post would
be out of place. It sure wouldn't match the tone of the other posts
(which, whether about cats or not, are usually light, warm, friendly,
pleasant...) Besides, I honestly have no idea what folks' politics
are here, and for all I know I could be inadvertantly upsetting people
I really like. I had nothing to say on the election topic that suited
the style and tone of the rest of the board.

So I went to the "off-topic" section of a Transformers board I
frequent and put it there, since that place tends to have intense
debates (while being moderated to keep out flamers, trolls, curse
words, or vicious personal insults).

Whether this is a good thing or not, I don't know. On one hand, as
another poster has said, it's nice to have a friendly, homey place to
escape unpleasant RL, and I believe we're all really here to talk
about cats, rather than engage in political/religious/moral debate
(which is easy enough to find elsewhere on the net). On the other
hand, I don't like the connotations that certain kinds of posts aren't
allowed for no other reason than someone else might disagree.
(Obviously spamming and trolling should be disallowed/ignored).

--Fil

But the off topic posts here are all part of the fun. We have learned a
lot about each other and about just about everything there is to know in
the world. Usually the off topic posts start with an OT in the subject
line. So that people who don't want to read them can skip over them.
Personally I like the OT posts and hope they continue.

Bob

Old November 6th 04, 12:45 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:09:47 -0600, Bob M
wrote:

But the off topic posts here are all part of the fun. We have learned a
lot about each other and about just about everything there is to know in
the world. Usually the off topic posts start with an OT in the subject
line. So that people who don't want to read them can skip over them.
Personally I like the OT posts and hope they continue.

how true. And many of the long running threads drift all over the
place. If you come in late the thread may have nothing at all to do
with the subject heading, and may have several sub-threads going on.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky (RB)

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: