Scrathing Post Question

Old September 9th 04, 02:15 PM
JamesJ

Default Scrathing Post Question

Hi all. I have a 11 week old kitten called Darwin. I adopted
him 3 week ago.
Every morning he tares around the house and
"attacks" his scratching post (which is good). All of a sudden this morning
I noticed he never used the post but attempted to use
the arms of my couch. Any reason why he would discontinue
using his scratching post? It was the first thing I introduced to
him when I brought him home.

Old September 9th 04, 02:24 PM
Sherry

Hi all. I have a 11 week old kitten called Darwin. I adopted
him 3 week ago.
Every morning he tares around the house and
"attacks" his scratching post (which is good). All of a sudden this morning
I noticed he never used the post but attempted to use
the arms of my couch. Any reason why he would discontinue
using his scratching post? It was the first thing I introduced to
him when I brought him home.

Has he maybe outgrown the scratching post? Is it tall enough that he can
completely stretch out, and stable enough that his weight won't tip it over?
Sherry

Old September 9th 04, 02:34 PM
Karen

"Sherry " wrote in message
Hi all. I have a 11 week old kitten called Darwin. I adopted
him 3 week ago.
Every morning he tares around the house and
"attacks" his scratching post (which is good). All of a sudden this

morning
I noticed he never used the post but attempted to use
the arms of my couch. Any reason why he would discontinue
using his scratching post? It was the first thing I introduced to
him when I brought him home.

Has he maybe outgrown the scratching post? Is it tall enough that he can
completely stretch out, and stable enough that his weight won't tip it

over?
Sherry

Yeah, they really like tall and sturdy. I highly suggest, even though he is
a kitten, investing in a nice cat tree. PetCo seems to have a lot of
reasonably priced ones nowadays. I tell you what, if you bring in a cat tree
with cubby holes and stuff to a 14 week old kitten (wow, he must realllllly
be a cutie, thats' such a fun age) he will think he went to little kitty
heaven. Especially if you have a nice window to put it by.

Old September 9th 04, 02:52 PM
JamesJ

I haven't thought of that. The post is about knee high. He
probably got bored of it and yes it almost tipped over
one morning while he was using it.
I'll look into something more fun for him.
I'd rather not declaw him and he's getting much better
about not using his claws.

Thanks much
James

Old September 9th 04, 03:13 PM
Phil P.

"JamesJ" wrote in message
Hi all. I have a 11 week old kitten called Darwin. I adopted
him 3 week ago.
Every morning he tares around the house and
"attacks" his scratching post (which is good). All of a sudden this

morning
I noticed he never used the post but attempted to use
the arms of my couch. Any reason why he would discontinue
using his scratching post? It was the first thing I introduced to
him when I brought him home.

Here's a great article about scratching and scratching post types, placement
and requirements:

http://maxshouse.com/understanding_scratching.htm

Old September 9th 04, 04:03 PM
Wendy

"JamesJ" wrote in message
I haven't thought of that. The post is about knee high. He
probably got bored of it and yes it almost tipped over
one morning while he was using it.
I'll look into something more fun for him.
I'd rather not declaw him and he's getting much better
about not using his claws.

Thanks much
James

FYI Declawing isn't "just" removing the claws. It is an amputation of the
last bone (and attached claw) on the toe. Sort of like cutting off the end
of your finger at the last knuckle. It is serious surgery that will be very
painful for the cat and has many possible negative consequences and is
expensive. A good cat tree costs the same or less and has no .

Invest in a good cat tree. It is worth every penny. It should be large
enough to still be useful when your kitten grows up. If it tips or isn't
stable the cat won't use it and will be back at the couch.

Trim his claws. Start by playing with his paws for a while so he gets used
to your touching them. They sell small scissors in pet stores specifically
for this but a good sharp pair of regular people clippers will do. If you
look at the claw you will see the end is white and closer to the toe is
pink. Trim the white part of the claw.