Persia Update - Thyroid Check

Old June 2nd 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Persia Update - Thyroid Check

On 1 June, 17:00, "jmcquown" wrote:
I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. *The vet
is thrilled! *Her thyroid levels are perfect. *Happy Dance! *Persia is about
12.5 lbs. *Also perfect

Happy dance indeed!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 2nd 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The
vet is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is
about 12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Fantastic news, Jill!

Boyfie also hates a car ride as it usually means TED. He doesn't get worked
up enough to vomit, just screeches his head off there and back.
The first time it was for the snip - I thought he must be in terrible pain
on the way back as he cried so much, I was really worried and phoned the vet
when I got home for a painkiller. I was asked "did he cry on the way here?"
and I said yes. I was told he would probably be fine without one.
I thought that was a bit harsh, after all he'd had his scrotum slashed, poor
lad but he was absolutely fine the next day, and every time he goes to TED
he cries there and back with just the same volume if he's had an antibiotic
injection (when somecat bit him for example)

You must be ecstatic that Persia's treatment has been so successful.

Tweed

Old June 2nd 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm absolutely thrilled! And her vet is also ecstatic. I hate that Persia
gets so upset she makes herself sick. She didn't do that when we were
driving her here from TN (700 miles). But maybe she figured out when we
stopped hey, no one is poking and prodding at me! She's pretty smart
Even if she did hide for 2 weeks after we got here. She didn't get sick
once on that trip, though, so I know it's not simply that she gets car sick.
Maybe the Feliway spray Mary suggested will help.

Jill

Old June 3rd 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Persia is also very sensitive to your feelings and I'm sure you were
tense about these two vet visits.

I'd really limit her food in advance of any future vet visits though.

Jo

Old June 3rd 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Trust me, I will. Fortunately she'd only eaten a few bites, though. I
think if I withheld food completely she'd *know* something was up. It's bad
enough I have to hide her carrier in the bathtub then find a way to grab
her. LOL

Jill

Old June 3rd 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 1, 11:00*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. *The vet
is thrilled! *Her thyroid levels are perfect. *Happy Dance! *Persia is about
12.5 lbs. *Also perfect

Unfortunately, she threw up in her carrier on the way home. *I think she
gets herself so worked up (what with constantly yowling) it makes her sick
to her stomach. *I've figured out how to tell when she's going to get sick.
It's a different sound than I normally hear if, say, she's about to hork up
a hairball. *She's still crying, but in a very low, gutteral voice she says,
"Meow-ma. *Meow-Ma! *MEOW-MA!" *It's like she's saying, "Get me out of here!
I'm going to be sick!" *Unfortunately there's not a heck of a lot I can do
in a moving car going 50 MPH on a busy but only 2-lane highway

When we got home I rushed her [carrier] into the bathroom. *I learned my
lesson the last time, I ran to the one *without* the litterbox! *This time,
though, I was able to just use a damp washcloth and only had to wipe off her
paws. *Somehow for the remainder of the ride home she managed to scrunch
herself up into a tiny (heh) ball to avoid the vomit. *She just had a little
bit on her paws from where she was anxious to jump out when I unzipped the
top. *And she was *very* good about letting me wipe off her paws.

I took the carrier outside, unzipped the side and stuck a hose in from the
top opening and rinsed it all out. *Then I wiped it down well with
disinfectant wipes. *(No, I'm not worried about using them. *She won't be in
the carrier again for quite a long time.)

Sherpa bags are very nice but it's too bad the carrying handles are tricked
out with leather. *It would be great to be able to just throw it in the
washer. *At least it's made of flexible mesh and the bottom panel is covered
with vinyl. *The fleece liner is washable. *But apparently she scrunched
that back in the corner when she knew she was going to get sick. *Not a drop
on it! *What a smart girl!

Jill

This is a wonderful success story. I hate to admit it, but in the
beginning I was skeptical and really worried about Persia's
ability to heal and the risk of the whole deal.
You did the right thing.

Sherry
Old June 3rd 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 11:00 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The
vet
is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is about
12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Jill

This is a wonderful success story. I hate to admit it, but in the
beginning I was skeptical and really worried about Persia's
ability to heal and the risk of the whole deal.
You did the right thing.

Sherry

I know you were skepitcal. Neener neener! The only side affect is waiting
for her fur to grow back on that shaved spot on her right shoulder. Her fur
is much thicker than I thought! It's growing back, slowly. She's just
fine. Very happy, loving and playful.

Jill

Old June 3rd 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 6/3/2010 9:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:

I know you were skepitcal. Neener neener! The only side affect is
waiting for her fur to grow back on that shaved spot on her right
shoulder. Her fur is much thicker than I thought! It's growing back,
slowly. She's just fine. Very happy, loving and playful.

Jill

See, she's been telling you for *years* that she's not fat, just fluffy!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old June 3rd 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 3, 8:45*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Jun 1, 11:00 am, "jmcquown" wrote:

I took Persia to her regular vet to get her thyroid levels checked. The
vet
is thrilled! Her thyroid levels are perfect. Happy Dance! Persia is about
12.5 lbs. Also perfect

Jill

This is a wonderful success story. I hate to admit it, but in the
beginning I was skeptical and really worried about Persia's
ability to heal and the risk of the whole deal.
You did the right thing.

Sherry

I know you were skepitcal. *Neener neener! *The only side affect is waiting
for her fur to grow back on that shaved spot on her right shoulder. *Her fur
is much thicker than I thought! *It's growing back, slowly. *She's just
fine. *Very happy, loving and playful.

Jill

Well, skeptical is really the wrong word -- I was afraid for Persia.
That sounded like a scary ordeal.
Thyroid is an issue I've never had to deal with, and had zero
knowledge base about it. Now, thanks to Persia's journey, I do.
If it ever hits one of my crew, now I know there's hope she can
be fixed good as new. :-)

Sherry
Old June 3rd 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
On 6/3/2010 9:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:

I know you were skepitcal. Neener neener! The only side affect is
waiting for her fur to grow back on that shaved spot on her right
shoulder. Her fur is much thicker than I thought! It's growing back,
slowly. She's just fine. Very happy, loving and playful.

Jill

See, she's been telling you for *years* that she's not fat, just fluffy!

--

Yep, she's apparently very fluffy! And she's a "short hair"! Who are they
calling a short hair? That fur is nothing if not an inch thick!

Persia sends hugs to his wink-wink, Weebs

Jill