Ping Karen

Old February 2nd 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

Default Ping Karen

It seems to be a tough week for animal abuse, unfortunately. You have
connections in the horse world and maybe you can get word out to people who
might be interested in helping a herd of starving horses.

You can find this story on the front page of www.ajc.com
but basically, animals were discovered last week that were being starved.
There were dogs, rabbits, cows and goats that have been placed with rescue
groups (the cows were sold). Unfortunately, the horses are a different
story. This is a herd of 100 horses with about half of them in such bad
shape they have been given a score of 2 on the equine body scoring system of
one to nine which means they were skin and bones. Many of the horses have
strangles which is highly contagious so they can't be moved into barns with
other horses. The pasture where they are being kept doesn't have any type
of shelter and we're having temps in the low 30s this week.

Something has happened since yesterday when the Agriculture Commissioner
said that the state didn't have the resourses to feed these horses and they
were trying to force the owners to buy feed and hay. He said any money
contributed to the Commission would go into a general horse rescue fund but
would not be used on these animals. Today he and his agents are out there
feeding and vetting the horses and a fund has been established to pay for
the necessary expenses. Our governor is a veterinarian so maybe he applied
some pressure. Volunteers are helping to care for the horses as well so
maybe the public put extra pressure on the Commission as well. Anyhow,
there is now a fund that has been established expressly for these horses and
a phone number is in the article.

Julie

Old February 2nd 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Thanks. I will pass this on to my horse racing group. I know people there
will be glad to help!

. ..

Old February 2nd 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

Karen,
They moved the story off the front page. I've tried to email the story
to you, hopefully it will come through. Thanks for your help in this.
Julie

Old February 2nd 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

I found it and I got your email. It's been posted to the group. Thanks. Very
odd story going on there.

Karen wrote:

[...]

Unka Ping kotted a mowsie! Sir Weeble Wobblybottom Cat anecdotes 2 December 30th 06 07:29 AM
Ping: Karen MaryL Cat anecdotes 3 October 2nd 06 09:45 PM
Ping Karen / Medical advice: Benefiber and Guar Gum Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 13 April 21st 06 04:50 AM
Ping: Karen Adrian Cat anecdotes 2 January 9th 06 04:08 AM
PING: Susan M Susan M Cat anecdotes 2 August 13th 03 07:08 PM