UPDATE Best Friends home check

Old March 1st 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default UPDATE Best Friends home check

I got an email from them in response to my query about what is involved in a
home check for adopting a cat. It says this:

"We generally ask that you look for the following things:

How many animals are in the house and which kind? Dogs? Cats? Are any
aggressive?

How do they interact with the people - Frightened? Playful? Loving? Etc

Is there a cat/dog door and if so, where does it lead?

Where is the home located? Busy street? Rural? Etc

Is the home "cat friendly"? Toys, beds, cattery or cat fencing, etc

Is the home clean? Doesn't have to be ideal, but not filthy

We always hope that you will treat it as a social call while gathering
information. We rely on your "gut feeling" as well. Then, please write us a
short email with your findings, which we can then put into the cat's file.
We appreciate your help greatly!"

So even though I wasn't selected to make this visit I have confirmation on
pretty much what you folks told me. They also sent me a copy of the
Adoption application which states, in part:

To be considered as an adopter, you must:

.. Be 21 years of age or older

.. Have identifi cation showing your present address

.. Have the knowledge and consent of your landlord

.. Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide
medical treatment and proper care of the cat

Completion of this application does not guarantee adoption of a Best Friends
cat. Please print legibly and complete both sides. Thank you!

Describe in detail the cat you're looking for: Will this be your first cat?

What kind of pets have you had in the past?

Which of these do you still have? (Include age, sex and breed.)

Have they been spayed or neutered? ? Yes ? No ? Don't know

Are they current on vaccinations? ? Yes ? No ? Don't know

Have they been tested for feline leukemia? ? Yes ? No ? Don't know

Have they been tested for FIV? ? Yes ? No ? Don't know

Are they declawed? ? Yes ? No ? Don't know

If yes, where is the cat declawed? ? Front paws ? All four paws

What happened to the pets you no longer have?

Have you ever turned your cat in to a shelter? ? Yes ? No If yes, please
explain:

Have you ever had a pet euthanized? ? Yes ? No If yes, please explain:

If you have pets, will they adjust to a new cat in the house? ? Yes ? No ?
Don't know

Why do you want this cat? ? Companion ? Companion for other pet ? House pet
? Barn cat ? Mouser ? Offi ce cat ? Other (explain)

How many adults are in your family?

How many children?______ Children's ages?

Does any member of your household have an allergy to cats? ? Yes ? No

Is someone home during the day? ? Yes ? No If yes, who?

How many hours each day will the cat be without human companionship? Please
explain:

If you rent, may we contact the owner to obtain permission for this cat to
live in your home?

? Yes ? No Owner's name and phone number:

Where will you keep the cat? ? In the house ? Outdoors ? With free access
both indoors and outdoors ? In the barn Please explain:

Do you have a cat or dog door? ? Yes ? No

Will you have the cat declawed? ? Yes ? No ? Maybe

Are you aware of the potential side effects of this operation? ? Yes ? No

Will you keep the cat up-to-date on vaccinations? ? Yes ? No

Who is your veterinarian?

If you go away for a few days, or on a vacation, who will take care of the
cat?

If you move, will you take the cat with you? ? Yes ? No

Are you willing to have a representative of Best Friends come to see where
the cat will be living? ? Yes ? No If no, explain:

Are you willing to take responsibility for this cat for the next 10 to 20
years? ? Yes ? No

What provisions will you make for the cat should you become unable to care
for him/her?

How much are you willing to spend on medical bills for your cat?

? Up to $100 ? Up to $500 ? Up to $1,000 ? Up to $5,000 ? Whatever it takes

What would you do if the vet bills went over this amount?

So You folks were right on target! Maybe if I get asked again I'll be more
comfortable in performing this task. We all want the kitties to have a good
place to live.

Jill

Old March 1st 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

I'd say their questionnaire pretty much covers it and then some.

But I wouldn't want to know less about a home for any of my babies either.

Jo