Goodbye, Dear Tigerness

Old November 22nd 03, 05:13 PM
Marina

Default Goodbye, Dear Tigerness

"Mark Edwards" wrote

In memoriam, Presto Magiccat, 1989 - 2003

Oh, Mark, I can't tell you how sorry I am to read this. Many purrs to you
and Senyah, and to Little Feet who will surely miss his buddy in spite of
everything.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 22nd 03, 05:58 PM
OU812?

Mark Edwards wrote:
In memoriam, Presto Magiccat, 1989 - 2003

Fifteen years ago, I rode my little Honda motorcycle to the Arlington
animal shelter. Senyah and I had been married a couple of years, and I
figured it was high time we had a cat to walk with us throuh life.

When I got there, they had several kittens, all cute and fuzzy, all
ready to play and cuddle, if only I'd let them out of thos darn cages.
Presto was a little orange and white fuzzball, feisty and vocal. He
told me he was my cat, and to just ignore the others.

Our shelter has a 72-hour hold rule, in case an animal's owners show
up. And a first come, first served rule. Presto still had six hours
left, and I spent the entire time there playing with him through the
bars of his cage. I fear that we half destroyed the information card
on the front of his cage...

Finally, they let him out, into my custody. He purred and purred. At
least until he saw what exactly I had in store for him. I put a collar
and a leash on him, secured him into a blue, plastic milk crate, and
put an elastic webbing over the top of the crate. The crate was then
secured to the seat of my motorcycle.

Well, the startup noise alone probably scared one life out of the poor
kitten. He set up increasing octaves of "help me, please help me!"
meows, which he maintaine over the entire four mile ride.

Every time a car drove close by, he increased the volume in hopes they
would free him from his cruel torture.

Finally, we got home.

I undid the crate, took off the webbing, unhooked the leash and
collar, while Presto batted at me to leave him alone. Then I backed
off and let him explore the house.

The first thing he found was the little space between the wall and the
stove, which I promptly plugged with an empty one-pound coffee can. He
purred for the next four hours, without stopping, and eventually
settled on my lap and went to sleep.

When Senyah got home, I told her about Presto. Her reply was "You
brought home a *what* ?!?"

Presto had one vice. He like biting Senyah's fingers. They must have
been evil fingers from cat hell, because he frequently went all out in
his attacks, often waiting until Senyah went to sleep. If so much as
one finger showed, he attacked with vicious abandon.

Eventually he quit this, but it was a close call to choose between
Senayh and Presto (I really would have missed Senyah - grin).

It also took us a long time to break him of shredding the toilet
paper. Maybe he just wanted to be sure we had plenty of confetti in
case a parade was called (grin).

Well, Presto settled in and made himself at home. He was always my
baby, and barely tolerated Senyah. After a couple of years, he even
began to accept her as his people too.

Presto was my constant companion. If I was on the computer, he would
sit on my lap (at least until he outgrew the "spare" portion of the
chair). If I had to stay up late to finish a programming assignment,
he stayed up with me, occassionally reaching up a paw to let me know
he was there, and purring everytime I took a break to cuddle him.

When I went to bed, he usually slept at my feet, and sometimes at my
side. One night, he kept scooting up against Senyah, who kept moving
out of his way, until he finally scooted her out of bed. The loud
"thump!" woke me up.

One time, we had to have the bathtub resurfaced. The chemicals used
require that all people and pets go somewhere else for 24 hours. So
we went to stay with some friends who had a cat and a dog. Presto and
I drove around most of the day, to delay the inevitable confrontation.

Finally, we went to the friends' apartment. I set Presto down, to
introduce him. The dog is poerfectly willing to greet this new cat.
Their cat, on the other hand runs up to chase Presto off. The dog
thinks this is a great idea, and tehy both run after Presto, who has
completely broken free of my grasp.

They chase him through the apartmnent, and literally up the Venetian
blinds. I reach into the middle of all this, to grab Presto. I get
bitten - hard! For all he knew, I was going to feed him to those other
creatures!

So Presto and I went back to our place, raised a window, and put an
exhaust fan in the wiindow. He slept on the top of the couch, growling
under his breath at me, while I stroked him and apologized for four
hours. He finally stopped giving me the death glare, accepted my
apology, and jumped down on my chest. We went to sleep that way, while
he purred away at me.

He was my cat. My only cat. Then, after eight years, I did the
unspeakable - I let a homeless kitten come in and stay!

Little Feet was old when he chose us. Presto didn't really like it
that we let this cat in and fed him, but at least he went away after a
few hours. Until we kept him and put up posters.

Nobody answered, and Little Feet became an unwelcome part of Presto's
existence.

Presto would hiss at Little Feet every time he walked past, often
throwing in a couple of solid slaps as well. Little Feet mostly
ignored it and waited Presto out. I don't know what happened - maybe
Presto just got tired of hissing, but after a couple of years, Presto
just accepted that Little Feet was here to stay.

They were never close - Little Feet liked Presto when Prest wasn't in
grumpy old cat mode - but Presto mostly ignored Little Feet.

Presto accepted the fact that we brought in the occassional feral cat
and fed them. If the ferals growled or hissed, they were quickly
informed that "this is Presto's home - you are a guest", and then they
were put outside. I think Presto liked this.

Presto had a bad habit of streaking out if the door was open the
slightest fraction of an inch. He often took advantage of the fact
that Senyah had mobility problems, and couldn't chase him, so it often
fell to me to chase after him with cries of "Get your furry little
butt back in here!"

One evening, he really did make good his escape. I called after him,
and called after him. Eventually, I saw him and two other cats
wandering the dry creekbed - he had already joined a gang! When I
called to him, he and his gang high-tailed it away. I was so scared
that he wouldn't come home.

The next morning, he was slouching around in the holly bushes outside
the door, and I managed to catch him.

He did run out several more times over the years, but always ran
around the building, and layed down at the front door. In which case,
I just sat down with him, and petted him, while he enjoyed the
outdoors.

I have a leash and a collar that I would put on him. When he heard the
jingle of the tags, he would run to the door, meowing at the top of
his lungs. When I put the leash on, he would start pawing at the
doorknob.

Finally, outside! He always managed to do three or four in-an-outs,
that required me to untangle the leash from stairposts and trees. But
then he would settle into a nice patch of dirt, in the sun, and purr.
When he did have to come back in, he growled at me and gave me the
glare of death.

I found out that he didn't really like other people besides me. When
Dave and Patty came down, I brought him out to introduce him. He set
up a caterwauling that made us all think I had a mad bobcat in the
house.

And he did NOT like kids. The one exception was a little three year
old girl named Tamara, that Senyah babysat. Tamara could pet him ("pet
him gently, and only in the right direction, Tamara") under close
supervision ("Presto, it's okay!"), and he started purring for her. He
used to stand up on his hind legs and box with her. Tamara would slap
out at him, and he would bat her hand away. She would giggle, and he
would purr.

One day, he managed to slap her on the chin. She said, "Ow! He hits
hard!"

Well, last night, Presto's legs stopped working. He was dragging
himself around with his front paws. He was cuddling up to Senyah, and
wrapping his paws around my neck and purring.

I told him that we would definitely see the vet first thing in the
morning. We went to bed, with Presto cuddling up to me, and
occassionally patting Senyah on the back.

This morning, he cuddled up as close to me as he could. He wrapped his
paws around my neck and pulled himself close to me, hard. He rubbed
the top of his head up under my chin and we cuddled. I petted him,
while he purred. Presto died in my arms not long after that.

The vet will be cremating his body, and will spread his ashes over
their flower bed. I think he will like that very much.

I am glad that he let us know he loved us, before he left us, but I
miss my tiger so very much.

Thank you, dear Tigerness, for sharing our lives, for the joy and the
love you brought to us, for the time well-spent in purrs and cuddles.
I'm glad you no longer suffer.

Pictures of Presto can be seen at:

http://home.comcast.net/~Mark-Edwards/oldcatpix.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~Mark-Edwards/cats.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~Mark-Edwards/cats3.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~Mark-Edwards/other.htm

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Mark, I wish you all the best in the future. I'm also glad that Presto
chose to give you all that loving before he went. He wanted you to know he
loved you as much as you loved him. What a wonderful story about how he
came to be with you.

Purrrs
Kristy
--
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." - Arthur Carlson

Old November 22nd 03, 06:40 PM
pmendhall

Sorry to hear of the loss of Pesto. I enjoyed reading your stories about
him.

Diane

Old November 22nd 03, 07:07 PM
fuga =^o^=

I am very sorry for your loss.

Healing purrs and headbutts to you and Senyah,

Fuga

Old November 22nd 03, 07:38 PM
lrulan

We will light a candle for Presto's safe journey to the RB. She will be
happy there. It seems we've known her for a long time through your stories
about her.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old November 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
Shirley

So sorry you've lost your buddy :-(

--
Shirley
see my cats at

Old November 22nd 03, 08:12 PM
polonca12000

What a beautiful tribute. I just had to go hug Soncek, even though he
protested loudly. I do wish there was something I could do to ease your
pain, Mark.
Hugs and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

In memoriam, Presto Magiccat, 1989 - 2003

Fifteen years ago, I rode my little Honda motorcycle to the Arlington
animal shelter. Senyah and I had been married a couple of years, and I
figured it was high time we had a cat to walk with us throuh life.

snip

Old November 22nd 03, 09:30 PM
Christine Burel

Oh, Mark and Senyah! I'm crying as I read this. My heart goes out to you
both. I have so much enjoyed reading about Presto and Little Feet; your
stories have always been part of my joy of reading rpca. I'm so terribly
sorry. Please know we are all purring for Presto's trip to the Rainbow
Bridge and to send you comfort in your loss.
Christine, Omar, Oreo, Midnight, Robin, Tucker (and Pirate)

Old November 22nd 03, 10:08 PM
Karen

Oh Mark, many tears here for you and Senyah. I had no idea Presto was an
older cat!!! He always seemed very young at heart. My heart goes out to you.
I'm just so sorry to hear this. I know how very, very hard it must be.

Karen

Old November 22nd 03, 10:55 PM
Jeanette

[...]

*crying*

Thank you for a wonderful tribute Mark, to a wonderful cat. My sincere
condolences on your loss.

Jeanette