Shouldn't cats clean themselves after using the litter box?

Old August 20th 04, 01:16 PM
Morac

Default Shouldn't cats clean themselves after using the litter box?

I picked up 2 young (~5 months) domestic short hair cats 3 weeks ago
and they do periodically clean themselves, but they never seem to do
so right after using the litter box.

This becomes more of a problem when a cat is having soft stools as a
small amount tends to stick around on the cat's rear end after using
the litter box and usually ends up on the rug or whatever the cat
decides to sit on immediately after using the box. Yesterday the cat
hopped up on my lap after using the litter box and really stunk and it
turned out he had soft feces still around his anus (which I had to
wipe off since he wasn't doing it). I've also had to wipe off
clingers from around the anus (not stuck in the fur) which I would
have thought the cat would clean off on its own.

Is this normal? Could it have to do with the fact that I use clumping
litter?
Old August 20th 04, 02:52 PM
kaeli

In article , morac99-
enlightened us with...
I picked up 2 young (~5 months) domestic short hair cats 3 weeks ago
and they do periodically clean themselves, but they never seem to do
so right after using the litter box.

This becomes more of a problem when a cat is having soft stools as a
small amount tends to stick around on the cat's rear end after using
the litter box and usually ends up on the rug or whatever the cat
decides to sit on immediately after using the box. Yesterday the cat
hopped up on my lap after using the litter box and really stunk and it
turned out he had soft feces still around his anus (which I had to
wipe off since he wasn't doing it). I've also had to wipe off
clingers from around the anus (not stuck in the fur) which I would
have thought the cat would clean off on its own.

Is this normal? Could it have to do with the fact that I use clumping
litter?

Would *you* like to lick feces off your rear? *LOL*

Yes, I'd say it's pretty normal for them to rub the butt on something
(carpet, etc) to get excess off before trying to clean it. At least they're
short-haired. It can get pretty messy with a long hair.

I'd be more concerned that they have soft stool consistently enough for this
to be an issue. THAT is NOT normal. Their stool should be hard. This also
helps keep the anal glands functioning well. Too much soft stool and the
glands don't empty properly. Then they REALLY smell. Plus, if it goes on long
enough that the glands get clogged, they can even get infected or abscessed.
Stool should hard, smallish, and have no funky colors. *trying not to laugh,
but this is actually a serious issue*
I'd check with the vet to be sure they don't have worms or physical problems.
Then I'd take a look at their diet.

HTH

~kaeli~
Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old August 20th 04, 02:52 PM
kaeli

In article , morac99-
enlightened us with...

Old August 20th 04, 02:55 PM
Karen

Maybe they were taken from their mother quite early and didn't learn. If you
can wipe them with a warm cloth everytime you see them get out, they should
pick up the idea. Has their soft stool been looked at? THey may have to be
wormed or may have coccidia or something that needs treatment. Their stool
should not be so soft.

om...

Old August 20th 04, 03:23 PM
KellyH

"Morac" wrote in message
om...
I picked up 2 young (~5 months) domestic short hair cats 3 weeks ago
and they do periodically clean themselves, but they never seem to do
so right after using the litter box.

This becomes more of a problem when a cat is having soft stools as a
small amount tends to stick around on the cat's rear end after using
the litter box and usually ends up on the rug or whatever the cat
decides to sit on immediately after using the box. Yesterday the cat
hopped up on my lap after using the litter box and really stunk and it
turned out he had soft feces still around his anus (which I had to
wipe off since he wasn't doing it). I've also had to wipe off
clingers from around the anus (not stuck in the fur) which I would
have thought the cat would clean off on its own.

Is this normal? Could it have to do with the fact that I use clumping
litter?

Actually, if they are having soft stools like that, you really *don't* want
them licking their butts. They could re-infect themselves with whatever
they have: giardia, coccidia, worms, etc. You really need to get a stool
sample to the vet's and have it tested. The stool should not be soft like
that. When a cat has normal, firm stool, clean-up isn't much of an issue.
Until the stool issue is resolved, wipe their butts after they use the box.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old August 20th 04, 04:09 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote

I'd be more concerned that they have soft stool consistently enough for

this to be an issue. THAT is NOT normal. Their stool should be hard.

I was thinking this too, and wondering what the OP is feeding them.

Old August 20th 04, 04:09 PM
Mary

"kaeli" wrote

Old August 20th 04, 04:11 PM
Mary

"Karen" wrote in message
Maybe they were taken from their mother quite early and didn't learn. If

youcan wipe them with a warm cloth everytime you see them get out, they
should
pick up the idea.

For some reason, Cheeks was not good about cleaning herself early on, so I
did this with a warm, moist wad of tissue when she first got here. Maybe
three times, then I never saw her have a problem again. I will never forget
the look of indignant surprize (wwwwwAHHHHHHT?!) on her face the few times I
wiped her butt. lol