Shaken (OT)

Old September 11th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

Default Shaken (OT)

On Sep 10, 9:01*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

----
It's up to you, but I would be away from there. *As soon as I could.
Find another flat in a safe area
I know you won't.

First of all I like where I live- to get it into perspective I've
lived here 26 years with very little trouble- had my purse stolen once
but that can happen anywhere. The riots didn't do more than
inconvenience me due to some shops being closed for a day or so, it
looked scary for a bit but that's all it was as my local area
completely lacks any shops attractive to looters- no shoe shops or
places selling TV's- the nearest "Curry's" is a couple of miles away -
the concern was rioters who'd kicked off in Straford might pass
through this way heading there but they didn't.

The incident the other week was a one-off. Okay both of them being so
close together might look bad but I refuse to be driven out of my
"turf"by morons as I say I like where I live. To go anywhere else
would mean either moving to another part of London where the problems
might be the same or moving miles out where my train journey would
take ages and a massive chunk of my wages unless I changed jobs. Also
our flat is a Housing Association fair rent registered flat so we pay
well below the market rent for our area if we moved the rent would be
at least double probably more...remember unlike a lot of couples we
don't have 2 incomes coming in just what I make - if I moved I'd end
up paying half my wages on rent and then as that would mean moving
outside London another 3rd at least on my fares. With what I earn
that would leave us struggling to even pay our service bills/food
bills etc. At the moment my salary covers everything and usually
leaves a small (and getting smaller- everything has gone up apart from
my wages this year) surplus to put aside for any big expenses when
they come up

So why should I let this cause me to end up struggling to get by after
moving out of an area Iove living in- it's not perfect but I know the
good shops, the transport (Bow is great because it's so easy to get
out of- I can be in the West End if I wished in 25 minutes/ the new
Westfield centre that opens Tuesday is 15 minutes away although as I
totally loathe those sort of places I won't go there far as I am
concerned the only good thing about it is that Hugh (slave of Bandit,
Chloe and Tigger) got a job in John Lewis after almost 2 years of
unemployment) a lot of my friends live here as well, I know the best
takeaways, have a supermarket (The Co-op as well) just over the road
from me, to keep it on topic I know where the good vet practice is
(and the bad one......) and should I lose my job (Who knows? There
are cuts now- that manager who gave me such grief in the early part of
the year has seen her post axed......so she's out of my life) there's
a PDSA about 5 minutes walk

I'm staying...

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 11th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

wrote:

Find another flat in a safe area
I know you won't.

I made a long response to this and it didn't come through but I'll try
again

I like where I live, it's convenient for transport (We can be across
London in half an hour), I know where the good shops are, I have a lot
of friends who live here, I know the good vets (and the bad ones) and
should I lose my job (You never know- it's starting to bite- that
manager who bullied me earlier in the year had her post axed (so she's
out of my hair)- yes I did like that!) the PDSA is 5 minutes away.

The 2 incidents coming so close together sounds scary but to put it
into perspective I've lived here over 26 years and until recently the
worse I've had is my purse stolen which has also happened elsewhere.
The riot thing was more an inconvenience than anything else shops
being closed- there was a concern that rioters might come through here
from Stratford on their way to "Curry's" at Stepney but they didn't.

If I did move I'd have 2 options:

1. Move further out for a cheaper rent then spend more time and money
travelling
2. Move to another part of London where it might be just as bad
(remember when Dave was in hospital there was some talk of moving to
Hackney- if we had we'd have been in the middle of the riots so good
thing we didn't!) and pay more rent.

Our home is a Housing Association fair rent registered flat- we pay
considerably less than the going rate for around here so moving out
wouldn't make a lot of financial sense. We only have one income-mine
and it's an okay salary so with our current rent we get by and with
even a little (and getting littler- everything is going up apart from
my wages) surplus to put in my savings account for rainy days/big
expenses. If I moved fares and rent would eat my wage up to the extent
where we'd struggle to pay our gas bill/electric/phone.....Done it
before and never want to do it again

I refuse to let some morons drive me from an area where I like living
and cause me considerable financial problems in the process

Old September 11th 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

ARGH! Both posts came through- sorry about that read either one-
they're basically the same

Old September 11th 11, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Sep 11, 11:16*am, Judith Latham
wrote:
.. These things can and do happen anywhere. It's important to
feel part of the community where you live and it sounds as if you do.

Yeah this is my home as I say a lot of my friends live either in Bow
or nearby, my games club is not far away (In Plaistow- I get a cab
back it's not a nice area to be in late at night you have to have some
common sense), I know the local shops (The one where that incident
happened is a personal favourite I often go in and tell them what I
want and end up talking to the owner or one of his sons whilst one of
the staff gathers what I need for me), I like Bow- it's beautiful in
places (some of the architecture is great), has wide pavements - I can
never get used to pavements so narrow people have to walk 2-3 abreast
on the main road here the pavements are about 50 feet or more wide so
whether you're in a hurry or taking a leisurely stroll there's room to
move and also the sense of history about the place if you (as we have)
look into it Not to mention amazing transport links, close to a
decent shopping centre (15 minutes on the bus) without having to have
the hassles associated with a big shopping centre on your doorstep or
for that matter a nightclub coming out late- the worse we get is the
"Little Driver" holding one of its karaoke nights until midnight on a
Saturday. Bow is not particulary wild- we go elsewhere for a wild
night as does everyone else

Old September 11th 11, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]

Lesley wrote:

I like Bow- it's beautiful in
places (some of the architecture is great), has wide pavements - I can
never get used to pavements so narrow people have to walk 2-3 abreast
on the main road here the pavements are about 50 feet or more wide so
whether you're in a hurry or taking a leisurely stroll there's room to
move and also the sense of history about the place if you (as we have)
look into it Not to mention amazing transport links, close to a
decent shopping centre (15 minutes on the bus) without having to have
the hassles associated with a big shopping centre on your doorstep or
for that matter a nightclub coming out late- the worse we get is the
"Little Driver" holding one of its karaoke nights until midnight on a
Saturday. Bow is not particulary wild- we go elsewhere for a wild
night as does everyone else

Is that the same Bow where the bell says "I am sure I don't know"?

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Old September 11th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:

----
It's up to you, but I would be away from there. As soon as I could.
Find another flat in a safe area
I know you won't.

First of all I like where I live- to get it into perspective I've
lived here 26 years with very little trouble- had my purse stolen once
but that can happen anywhere. The riots didn't do more than
inconvenience me due to some shops being closed for a day or so, it
looked scary for a bit but that's all it was as my local area
completely lacks any shops attractive to looters- no shoe shops or
places selling TV's- the nearest "Curry's" is a couple of miles away -
the concern was rioters who'd kicked off in Straford might pass
through this way heading there but they didn't.

[Snip]

[...]

Good for you. These things can and do happen anywhere. It's important to
feel part of the community where you live and it sounds as if you do.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

You found the words to say what I wanted to say. I heartily agree!

Joy

Old September 11th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

So why should I let this cause me to end up struggling to get by after
moving out of an area Iove living in- it's not perfect but I know the
good shops, the transport (Bow is great because it's so easy to get
out of- I can be in the West End if I wished in 25 minutes/ the new
Westfield centre that opens Tuesday is 15 minutes away although as I
totally loathe those sort of places I won't go there far as I am
concerned the only good thing about it is that Hugh (slave of Bandit,
Chloe and Tigger) got a job in John Lewis after almost 2 years of
unemployment)

Is that what we call a shopping mall? (Or just "the mall".) I hate them,
too. We don't have many where I live, either.

Joyce

--
The Internet is on computers now! -- Homer Simpson
Old September 11th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Sep 11, 1:23*pm, Patok wrote:

* *Is that the same Bow where the bell says "I am sure I don't know"?

Nope that's the bell of St Mary Le Bow in the city- if you are born
within the sound of Bow Bells you are a cockney and a lot of people
assume that means the bells of Bow Church but in fact in means the
bells from St Mary Le Bow although that didn't stop my local pub being
called the "Bow Bells" and for many years having a pub sign showing
pearly king drinking a pint

The nearest bells mentioned in the rhyme are at Stepney

Old September 15th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

____________
It's up to you.
I like living in a quiet place where the worst that happens is that someone
doesn't pick up their doggy-doo.

Old September 16th 11, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Sep 15, 9:27*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I like living in a quiet place where the worst that happens is that someone
doesn't pick up their doggy-doo.

We have quite a bit of that as well!