Hazel got spayed

Old September 24th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Hazel got spayed

Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote:

Since you don't have a male bunny rushing around after her, why did you
feel the need to have her spayed?

According to every pet rabbit website I've seen, unspayed female rabbits
if not bred have a better than 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by
age 4.

It's very fashionable atm to neuter and spay anything they can get their
hands on and to promote it.
Next thing it will be guinea pigs and hamsters.

I wonder if female rabbits suffer through periods when they want to
mate. Do rabbits go into heat? Or are they ready for mating any time?
Heat periods are horrible for female cats, as we all know. Rabbits
might go through something similar, but because they don't yowl loud
enough to be heard several counties away, we might not be aware of it.
I've never had a pet rabbit, though, so I will have to defer to those
who have.

Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old September 25th 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Pat" wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote:

[...]

I had rabbits and have never seen any indication that the females should be
spayed but I am prepared to be wrong if the vets say it's a good idea to do
it to add to their cash flow.

Old September 25th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene[_4_]

Kelly Greene wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
Our precious bunny-cat has been spayed! ...........

What on earth is a bunny-cat?

A pet rabbit in a household of cats, who is probably a bit confused about
its identity? (Sort of like "The Ugly Dachshund" who was really a Great
Dane.)

Thank you. I was wondering..........

Old September 26th 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_9_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Pat" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote

Since you don't have a male bunny rushing around after her, why did you
feel the need to have her spayed?
Don't tell me - your vet said it it would be a good idea.

Unless rabbits have changed since I was a bit younger when I used to
keep them and win prizes with them there is no need to spay or neuter a
rabbit unless you want to keep it with another of the opposite sex.

According to every pet rabbit website I've seen, unspayed female rabbits
if not bred have a better than 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by
age 4.

Mine never did and usually lived to much older, but I cannot disagree as I
don't know for sure.
I suspect that (some) vets will latch on to the idea to improve their
income.
It's very fashionable atm to neuter and spay anything they can get their
hands on and to promote it.
Next thing it will be guinea pigs and hamsters.

Male guinea pigs are often neutered, which is a good thing since they are
horny *******s.

Old September 26th 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Sep 24, 3:27*pm, wrote:
.. Do rabbits go into heat?

Yes- outside of heat a doe will savage a buck who gets any ideas
(bucks don't go into heat they're just permanently up for it) near her
when she's on heat I've seen a doe escape her hutch and run to a
buck;s hutch and try to kick the door down to get in and get mated
although even in heat a does territorial instinct is so strong
breeders take the doe to the buck - and she'll mate happily but I
have seen an incident where someone shoved the buck in the does cage -
she was on heat but the damage she did was not pretty (Buck had to be
pts)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 26th 11, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Sep 24, 12:48*pm, "Pat" wrote:

According to every pet rabbit website I've seen, unspayed female rabbits if
not bred have a better than 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by age
4.

Same with indoor cats if you think about it I spay them even through
they can't get out not so much because I don't want them to breed but
because of the health risks attached to leaving them unspayed. If it
were healthier for them to not be spayed I'd buy some very good
earplugs and put up with them being on heat but the health risks of an
unmated queen are too serious. A friend of mine thought it was
somehow against nature to spay her indoor only queen but when the cat
was just 7 she died of pyometra and it wasn;t nice

Old September 26th 11, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley Madigan wrote:

Same with indoor cats if you think about it I spay them even through
they can't get out not so much because I don't want them to breed but
because of the health risks attached to leaving them unspayed. If it
were healthier for them to not be spayed I'd buy some very good
earplugs and put up with them being on heat but the health risks of an
unmated queen are too serious. A friend of mine thought it was
somehow against nature to spay her indoor only queen but when the cat
was just 7 she died of pyometra and it wasn;t nice

That's so sad! Not only did she die young, but she had to endure heats
all the time that she couldn't satisfy. It just seems so miserable for them.

Joyce

Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
encourage others to leave you alone.
Old September 26th 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"Lesley Madigan" wrote
"Pat" wrote:

According to every pet rabbit website I've seen, unspayed female rabbits
if
not bred have a better than 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by age
4.

Same with indoor cats if you think about it I spay them even through
they can't get out not so much because I don't want them to breed but
because of the health risks attached to leaving them unspayed. If it
were healthier for them to not be spayed I'd buy some very good
earplugs and put up with them being on heat but the health risks of an
unmated queen are too serious. A friend of mine thought it was
somehow against nature to spay her indoor only queen but when the cat
was just 7 she died of pyometra and it wasn;t nice

---------------------------------

Thanks for your input, Lesley.

Old September 26th 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Sep 26, 10:48*am, wrote:

That's so sad! Not only did she die young, but she had to endure heats
all the time that she couldn't satisfy. It just seems so miserable for them.

I used to be told (and still some vets do say) a queen has to be 6
months old, which means sometimes they go through a first heat before
their spay.. Issi (RB) did at 5 months and was she miserable and so
were we! I should have videoed it and sent to anyone who thinks it's
okay not to spay a queen!

[OT] RIP dear Hazel Pat Cat anecdotes 18 July 25th 06 06:50 PM
spayed-still seems to be in heat jill p via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 1 July 20th 05 04:24 AM
Need advice - just got my cat spayed Kurie Cat health & behaviour 12 November 14th 03 09:03 AM
Another Hazel Update(long) Hazel Az Cat anecdotes 3 September 19th 03 11:42 PM
Happy Birthday Hazel Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 13 August 25th 03 12:25 PM