Vaccinations

Old November 6th 03, 08:51 PM
FlVEbyFiVE

Default Vaccinations

The vet clinic I take my cats to has a medical plan in which a low monthly
payment pays for all office visits, exams, and most vaccinations. My cat's
yearly contract is running out so he will be receiving his shots soon. The list
of shots included in the plan are distemper, rabies, leukemia, giardia,
rhino-calci virus, and infectious peritonitis. That sounds like too many shots.
Which of these shots are really necessary and which aren't? My cats are indoor
cats, btw. Never in their lives have they stepped foot outside.

The clinic I used to take them to only demanded they get 2 vaccinations:
distemper and rabies. All others were optional.
Old November 6th 03, 09:19 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
The vet clinic I take my cats to has a medical plan in which a low monthly
payment pays for all office visits, exams, and most vaccinations. My cat's
yearly contract is running out so he will be receiving his shots soon. The list
of shots included in the plan are distemper, rabies, leukemia, giardia,
rhino-calci virus, and infectious peritonitis. That sounds like too many shots.
Which of these shots are really necessary and which aren't? My cats are indoor
cats, btw. Never in their lives have they stepped foot outside.

The clinic I used to take them to only demanded they get 2 vaccinations:
distemper and rabies. All others were optional.

I'm no expert, but after doing a little reseach lately on the subject, I
have decided my cats will only get rabies/distemper from now on.
Why I think that way:

1. Few vaccines are 100% effective.
2. Most vaccines are good for 3 years, if not more. Some may be good for
life.
3. Leukemia is only 85% effective, but the cat will forever test
positive for antibodies, thus making it impossible to know if your cat
actually gets the disease. Same for FIV.
4. FIP vaccine has not been proven effective at all.
5. The vaccines do not always prevent disease, but can lessen its
symptoms. If the cat is never exposed, there is no benefit, and possibly
a detriment if the cat develops vaccine associated sarcoma.

IANAV.

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old November 6th 03, 09:19 PM