No food till morning after dental?

Old November 7th 03, 03:00 AM
Cheryl

In ,
MacCandace composed with style:

Hmmm, no, I've never had that order after my cats have had dentals.
I think the vet said no dry food for a few hours but they came home
and ate right away and didn't get sick...wet food.

I talked to someone who said if he's acting ok and hungry to feed him
a little wet food. He ate some and seems fine for now. So much for
going against the orders. He's such a light eater as it is I hate
for him to go hungry.

Poor guy, when
can he eat again and what's a "varnish" anyway?

The orders said he could eat tomorrow morning. That would be 36 hours
without food and that made me nervous. The varnish is apparently for
a broken fang. His vet told me at one of the last visits the tooth
was broken and judging by the $10 fee for it, it was probably just for
that tooth but I don't know. Will have to call tomorrow. I expected
she would extract it but I guess the varnish protects it?

Sounds cosmetic,
do cats get cosmetic dental work done?

LOL Even I have to think about cosmetic work for a bit on my own
teeth.. hehe

Old November 7th 03, 03:04 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Judy composed with style:

After sedation some cats barf. Some people barf too!

Over my 15 years with cats and having had them sedated for whatever
reason, there has been no barf. I understood that barfing might be
a possibility and was prepared. Spatulas are great barf picker
uppers and I was prepared.

If your cat is hungry - feed him. If he barfs - get the spatula
out. :c)

Thanks, Judy. None of my other cats have ever needed dentals. Shadow
with all his problems still has great teeth. Marley (RB) at 13 never
had reason for a dental. Shamrock at 2 yo has gingivitis. His teeth
were really nasty and his breath stunk. The more I think about the
water additive, I think I'm going to return it. He eats only wet food
and barely drinks water at all. They had a spray that I might try
instead, but will probably just get him used to getting his teeth
brushed. Do you brush your cats teeth and if so, how often?

Old November 7th 03, 04:04 AM
Karen

in article , PawsForThought at

From: "Cheryl"

Poor Shamrock. He was still out of it when he got home after having
his teeth cleaned today and I've kept him downstairs so he wouldn't
attempt the stairs in his wobbly state. The orders were "no food, ice
chips if he wants water". Well he is very hungry since not eating
since last night. He's not a big eater, any way. Does anyone know why
the order is still for no food even if he is starting to act normal
now? I won't go against the vets orders but I'm just curious. I
didn't get to pick him up tonight until after the vet left for the
night and I didn't get an explanation.

I'm trying to remember with the last cat I had a dental for whether or not
they
were allowed to eat when I brought them home. Did Shamrock just have a
cleaning, or were there extractions? I'm thinking that maybe the vet wants
the
anesthesia out of his system more before he eats so as no to upset his tummy
or
to prevent vomitting.

Healing purrs to Shamrock,

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

That's what I'm thinking. You could try a little and wait and see if it
upsets him and if not, I would feed him. I don't recall being given that
order after anesthesia before. Hope he is feeling better soon!

Karen

Old November 7th 03, 04:04 AM
Karen

Old November 7th 03, 04:35 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Karen" wrote in message

That's what I'm thinking. You could try a little and wait and see if it
upsets him and if not, I would feed him. I don't recall being given that
order after anesthesia before. Hope he is feeling better soon!

Karen

I was also thinking that the no food orders had to do with the anesthesia,
but I just had a thought that it might have something to do with the varnish
thing that was done. It may take a longer time to set up and food or water
may affect the finish. Makes more sense when considering that ice chips,
though not water, were allowed. Very little liquid would be picked up by
licking the ice chips, so would not have as much of a negative effect on the
varnish.

Just my 2 cents...I hope Shamrock is doing well!

rona

Old November 7th 03, 05:00 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
In ,
PawsForThought composed with style:

But they sold me some enzyme that you put in water, again, I can't

go
look at it. We're going to have to get vigilant with teeth

brushing.

Wish you could have seen me with Cheeks last week, having a go at
brushing
with the soft rubber fingertip brush and "chicken flavored enzymatic
toothpaste."
She has gotten better about allowing it gradually, and seems to like
the flavor.
I hope it is helping. In our case it is a preventive measure, as I
will not let them
anesthetize her and clean her teeth at the vet.