Changing an Outdoor Cat into an Indoor Cat

Old April 20th 04, 09:27 PM
Ryan Robbins

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
ashington.edu...

Be firm, Trudie. Don't even walk the cats outside. You are in for a
possibly long session of howling and carrying on, but it will pass.

Taking a cat outdoors with a harness is perfectly fine. Yes, the cat will
probably howl and meow and harass you to go out, but the behavior will fade
after a couple of weeks once the cat realizes it will get time outdoors.

Old April 21st 04, 05:22 AM
Lotte

Give him time -- he will adjust eventually, although it could take longer
than you think. I have a (formerly) feral female I took in about a year ago
and she is only just now learning to like being indoors. Also, as you've
just moved, he's got that change to deal with as well. Playing with him
*too* much may be counter-productive -- it might over-stimulate him and make
him want to get out and hunt. Teach him the joys of living indoors, where
he can lie on your lap and be petted endlessly, sleep on the bed, and other
calm indoor past-times...and be patient. He'll come around -- L.

"Troodle" wrote in message
Hello everyone

I have two cats, Burmese boys, and needless to say, they are completely
beloved. I moved house recently, from a rural farm where they had complete
blissful freedom, to an area which is not safe for them. Against my better
judgement I let them out a few days after moving in, and one of them went
missing. We finally got him back, four weeks and much heartache later. In
the meantime we kept the other cat in - he is quite timid and nervous
anyway, so he has adapted well to being in. But the other cat, who was
always more adventurous, is going crazy at being kept inside. It has been
three weeks now, and he isnt getting any better. Letting him out is out of
the question - I've tried taking him out for walks on a harness, but it
seemed to make him worse when he was back inside. The cats come from a

long
line of 'indoor cats' and until they were 6 months they hadnt been out,

but
then they spent a year roaming the farm, hunting, etc. Now I'm afraid that
my cat will neve adjust, that he will always seem as unhappy as he is now.
It isnt possible to make an outdoor run for them, and even if it was I

dont
think that would make it any better for him, he hates being restricted in
any way. We are trying to distract him by playing lots with him, but he

just
wants to be out and nothing else seems to do. Has anyone else experienced
this? What did you do, and how did it turn out? I'm very worried, so any
advice or experience will be most welcome.

--
Trudie

Old April 21st 04, 07:32 AM
Vicki Harding

I certainly feel for ya (and your cat as well)! My cats (2 female litter
mates) had the run of a hilltop home in the wine country of northern Calif.
They roamed all over the place, but always came indoors every evening.
After 5 yrs of country living, I had to move. Unfortunately, it's difficult
to find affordable housing that will accept house pets. I finally found an
apartment in a much larger neighboring city that would take pets (of course,
an outrageous deposit was also required)! I hated the idea of having to
keep them indoors all the time. I felt really sorry for them both, but
especially for the one who fears nothing and explores everything.

Like you, I have one very timid cat that initially had no interest
whatsoever in exploring outdoors. But the other? It took a great effort in
making sure she couldn't make her great escape. After several months, I
decided to let her out but I stayed outside with her. As I walked around
the building, she followed me like a shadow. When we approached the stairs
to our apt., she zips by me up the stairs and was waiting for me at the
screen door. For about a week or more, this became a daily routine. Now I
leave the screen door open enough for her to slip in and out of. It's been
2 years now with no mishaps;] As a matter of fact, the other cat will
venture out onto the landing and down the stairs for a bit (the least little
noise though and she's back upstairs!)

I hope your experience goes as easily as mine. I felt so rotten having to
keep them indoors, at least until they became familiar with the sights and
scents around them. But it was worth every effort as now they spend more
time in than out!

Best of luck to all three of you!

Sincerely,

Vicki

Old April 21st 04, 08:35 PM
Troodle

"Vicki Harding" wrote in message
I certainly feel for ya (and your cat as well)!

Thanks Vicki, and everyone else that answered my post. I guess I just have
to be patient, and hope for the best...

--
Troodle