bump on nose

Old April 20th 04, 11:29 PM
Lydia

Default bump on nose

My 7 year old cat has developed a bump on his nose. It's been there for a
few months and he was just in for his annual exam last weekend so I asked
about it. We have recently moved and this is a new vet recommended by our
previous vet. The vet said chances are it's a benign tumor, but we should
test it to be sure. The way my cat reacts at the vet, the vet felt he would
have to be anethesized for a needle biopsy. My feeling is as long as he has
to be anesthesized for a biopsy, we might as well remove it completely
(another option given by the vet) while it's still pretty small and have it
tested after that. This means, though, that my poor boy will have a few
external stitches and have to wear an Ecollar for about 10 days. I'm
fortunate enough to be able to afford to pay for either decision, but I'm
struggling with it. I hate to put him through any trauma and even though I
feel like I'm leaning toward removal, I worry that maybe it's not necessary.
But if we needle biopsy it and it turns out it has to be removed anyway,
then that's that much MORE trauma on the cat (and my wallet - although
that's ok). He's still got plenty of years left in him - if he were 17
maybe I'd just choose to watch the bump and his general health for changes.

Anyone have any experience? Does removal seem to drastic?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Lydia

Old April 21st 04, 01:26 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Lydia at
wrote on 4/20/04 5:29 PM:

[...]

Go for it. YOu are right that you would possibly face *another* anesthizing
to remove it later. I'd go for broke and do it now. I hope it is a benign
mass. Keep us posted.

Karen

Old April 22nd 04, 04:09 PM
Lydia

Thanks to all for your comments. We have an appt. for surgery on the 30th.
Hopefully it will just be a benign growth and that will be the end of it.
I'll post a follow up when more is known.

Lydia

Old April 22nd 04, 07:44 PM
soft

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:09:18 -0700, "Lydia"
wrote:

Thanks to all for your comments. We have an appt. for surgery on the 30th.
Hopefully it will just be a benign growth and that will be the end of it.
I'll post a follow up when more is known.

Lydia

Lydia
I would do the same. I will keep you and your kitty in prays.

Karryl