Kitty transport

Old October 14th 14, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

Default Kitty transport

I've been given a cat. And after I agreed,
now I'm told the cat HATES to be in a carrier,
and hates to travel by car. Oh, now you tell
me.

What options are there? Kitty sleeping pill?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old October 14th 14, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2014-10-14 10:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been given a cat. And after I agreed,
now I'm told the cat HATES to be in a carrier,
and hates to travel by car. Oh, now you tell
me.

What options are there? Kitty sleeping pill?

Considering how little most cats like taking pills, I think most people
simply transport the cat as infrequently as possible - and put up with
the wails of distress if it is really necessary to drive it to the vet.
That being said, you could probably get some kind of sedative from a vet.

Having the cat carrier out a day or two ahead of time so the cat becomes
familiar with it is supposed to help, although I never noticed it did.
So is catnip.

Not all cats hate travel, and many of those that do become reconciled
after a while in the car. However, there are those who really, really
hate it, can howl for hours on end, and if stressed enough, will pee in
the carrier. If you have one of those, really, try to minimize any
travel to the absolute essential.

Cheryl
Old October 14th 14, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

It sounds like you have a normal cat.
Old October 14th 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

On 10/14/2014 9:55 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Considering how little most cats like taking pills, I think most people
simply transport the cat as infrequently as possible - and put up with
the wails of distress if it is really necessary to drive it to the vet.
That being said, you could probably get some kind of sedative from a vet.

Having the cat carrier out a day or two ahead of time so the cat becomes
familiar with it is supposed to help, although I never noticed it did.
So is catnip.

Not all cats hate travel, and many of those that do become reconciled
after a while in the car. However, there are those who really, really
hate it, can howl for hours on end, and if stressed enough, will pee in
the carrier. If you have one of those, really, try to minimize any
travel to the absolute essential.

Cheryl

Yes, that is great wisdom. I live about 20 minutes
by expressway from where the cat is now. We (cat
and I) are great friends. Cat (Onyx, black female
neutered) loves to sit in my lap and be scratched.

That's a concern, don't want a SUV full of cat
urine. I'd been thinking to try the cat in the
vehicle without the box. Might have cat urine for
the rest of the vehicle's life.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Old October 14th 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

On 10/14/2014 10:23 AM, Mike Mayers wrote:
It sounds like you have a normal cat.

Ah, that's reassuring. Just have to figure
out how to work with a normal cat.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Old October 14th 14, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Larry Stark

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:25:37 -0230, Cheryl wrote:

On 2014-10-14 10:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

My Samson ALWAYS craps in the carrier when going to the vets then
usually get the vet tech, doctor, or whoever he can when they are
doing whatever needs to be done. The vet finally told me that now on
to come in the day befroe to get something to give him before I take
him. The rest always meow up a storm when they get put in a carrier
but at home they enjoy laying in and sleeping in the carrier!! Go
figure!!!

My fur babies:

http://lestark.webs.com/
Old October 14th 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Larry Stark

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:28:08 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

But if it freaks out in the vehicle what about when you try to get out
and it escapes the vehicle or hides under the seat?!? I would put it
in carrier and listen to it yell at you all the way!!

My fur babies:

http://lestark.webs.com/
Old October 14th 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

On 10/14/2014 10:40 AM, Larry Stark wrote:
My Samson ALWAYS craps in the carrier when going to the vets then
usually get the vet tech, doctor, or whoever he can when they are
doing whatever needs to be done. The vet finally told me that now on
to come in the day befroe to get something to give him before I take
him. The rest always meow up a storm when they get put in a carrier
but at home they enjoy laying in and sleeping in the carrier!! Go
figure!!!

My fur babies:

http://lestark.webs.com/

You know, not far from me is the Humane society.
I'd guess some one there must have ideas, in
addition to the ideas on this list. Might even
have a kitty sedative I can use.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old October 14th 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

On 10/14/2014 10:43 AM, Larry Stark wrote:
But if it freaks out in the vehicle what about when you try to get out
and it escapes the vehicle or hides under the seat?!? I would put it
in carrier and listen to it yell at you all the way!!

The cat is mostly outdoors during the day. The
best laid plan for the cat (for the moment) is
carry the cat to my vehicle on moving day, and
carry it in when arriving home. Give the cat a
few hours to get used to the new adress, and let
it out during the day. Well, so's the plan.

Lot to be said for cat carriers. Scott says that
Onyx fights against being put in the carrier.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old October 14th 14, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2014-10-14 11:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

It's not usually a good idea to have a cat loose in a car. I did know a
cat once that travelled that way, making itself comfortable - usually in
the rear window on a kind a little ledge between that and the back of
the back seat. But there's always a risk of the cat peeing, or deciding
to take refuge around the feet of the driver, or slipping out at a stop
and being impossible to find. A sturdy carrier is much more secure, and
a towel or pad of some kind for it to hook its claws in (and to absorb
the result of any accidents, although really it's not an accident for an
unhappy cat to pee where it shouldn't; it's normal behaviour).

Cheryl