Kitty transport

Old October 14th 14, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

Default Kitty transport

On 10/14/2014 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Definitely. The cat will probably put up a fuss about being indoors,
but outdoors she will *not* know where she is. Letting her out in
unfamiliar territory is just begging for her to run off.

Jill

How about marking territory? Scraps of old
sock, or some thing?

And will it take time for the other cats in
da hood to get used to her?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Old October 14th 14, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 10/14/2014 2:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/14/2014 5:17 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
Almost any pet store.
I know that Pet Smart and PetCo have it in quart and gallon size.
There is also a product to calm cats down in a new situation, like
a new home...it's Feelaway,...pricy but often effective.

Oh, and don't forget to limit it's indoor space to a "Safe Room"
at first..

H.T.H.
Sylvia

Thanks about the pet miracle odor stuff. Hope not
to need it.

Hey, that "Feelaway". Would that be powerful enough
for the car ride and cat carrier?

I think it's actually spelled "Feliway". I haven't noticed that it
helps much, but it's worth a try.

Why the safe room at first? I'd not heard of that
idea.

Do you have any other pets? It's always a good idea to keep them
separated at first. Even if you don't, it isn't a bad idea to keep her
confined to one room at first. There are a number of reasons for this.
You will always know where she is, even if you can't find her. Cats
are experts at hiding in places you'd never think of. She won't be able
to get outside before she feels at home in your house. If she isn't
litter box trained, clean-up will be limited to that one room. The room
should have at least one place where she can hide - under a bed, a box,
the cat carrier or inside a closet (If there's nothing inside the closet
you worry about being destroyed). One idea is that, after she's
released to explore the whole house, she will have that room, and its
hiding spot(s), where she can feel safe if anything scares her.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old October 14th 14, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 10/14/2014 1:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/14/2014 4:12 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmm. I'd been told this is outdoor cat. Three weeks
indoors? I'd not have thought of that. Better buy a
cat litter pan, and some litter?

Congratulations on getting your cat.

A cat carrier is best when transporting a cat. It does help prevent
disasters.

It is important to keep the cat indoors for a few weeks then she will
accept it as her territory. You'll need a litter tray for the time you
keep her inside but it's also useful for when she's in the house and has
an emergency.

As for learning how to deal with a normal cat, in my experience they show
you what to do. She will train you.

Good Luck.

Judith

Thank you. It's going to be interesting. Sounds like I've
got a task list, of course. Cat carrier, Natures Miracle,
cat food, dish, water bowl, and a lot of being ready
to learn and be trained by Onyx.

Yes, I think you're catching on. ;-)

Just one thing - I'm not convinced there is such a thing as a "normal
cat". It is almost a sure thing that anyone who starts a sentence with
"All cats like ..." or "Cats don't like ..." hasn't had very many cats.
They are distinct individuals, each with their own likes, dislikes and
habits. Also, you'll notice that after a while she settles into a
routine. She may have a favorite napping place, for instance. Then,
after weeks or months of this, that will suddenly change. Cats
generally like to keep us guessing. They don't want us to become too
complacent.

Joy

Joy

Old October 14th 14, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 10/14/2014 12:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/14/2014 3:06 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Assuming a rigid carrier, set the carrier on end with the door
uppermost, and insert the cat, hind legs first. (Despite the cat
suddenly developing a dozen legs, I've found this works fairly well -
but you have to be sure to force the door shut immediately.)

That's the kind of real world wisdom that
is priceless. Thank you.

Then, just as insurance, when you put the carrier in the car, put it
with the door against the back of the seat. I've had cats manage to
open the door if it's facing the other way, and that can cause a disaster.

Joy

Old October 15th 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

A couple more suggestions: when you get the carrier, zip tie the sides together, even if it has bolts or clips. I have had them come apart and cats escape, so now I make sure the sides are secured. I even had the door come off on one of the crates, so now I zip tie both of the door sides. Makes for a pain at the vets, but they can't get out! One year, I had to have all my crew's rabies shots done because one of my outside guys scratched someone. The vet that the county wanted them done at was 20 miles away, up over some nasty hills. I had 30 cats done, 6 to 7 in the car at a time. That is how I know about crates and cats escaping! Not fun!
Old October 15th 14, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2014-10-14 7:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/14/2014 5:17 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
Almost any pet store.
I know that Pet Smart and PetCo have it in quart and gallon size.
There is also a product to calm cats down in a new situation, like
a new home...it's Feelaway,...pricy but often effective.

Oh, and don't forget to limit it's indoor space to a "Safe Room"
at first..

H.T.H.
Sylvia

Thanks about the pet miracle odor stuff. Hope not
to need it.

Hey, that "Feelaway". Would that be powerful enough
for the car ride and cat carrier?

Why the safe room at first? I'd not heard of that
idea.

Cats feel more secure in a new place if they have somewhere to retreat
to when needed. Somewhere with a small inaccessible place is ideal -
under a sofa or bed, in a box in the back of the closet etc - but most
people provide an entire room, particularly if there are other animals
in the household, with food, water, litter, and somewhere for the cat to
retreat while it decides if it likes its new home.
Old October 15th 14, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Larry Stark

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 08:12:03 -0230, Cheryl wrote:

On 2014-10-14 7:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

The stuff to calm cats is called Feliway, not Feelaway. If you start
looking for Feelaway I am afraid you would have trouble finding it.

:-)

My fur babies:

http://lestark.webs.com/
Old October 15th 14, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/14/2014 3:50 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/14/2014 1:28 PM, Joy wrote:
Hmm. I'd been told this is outdoor cat. Three weeks
indoors? I'd not have thought of that. Better buy a
cat litter pan, and some litter?

Definitely! Unless you plan to keep her outside all the time (which I
don't recommend), a litter pan is a good idea for rainy weather. I used
to have indoor/outdoor cats and always prepared a litter pan when it
rained. And don't forget a scoop, for cleaning out the pan.

Joy

Onyx's present schedule is to be out during the day,
and in during the night. Winter, she takes a brief
trip outdoors for toilet functions and comes back in.

Ah, yes, the scoop. All these things to remember. Again,
thank you.

While you're buying stuff, don't forget feline flea treatment (Frontline
Advantage) or since the cat will be outside most of the day. Even in
the winter they can pick up critters.

Jill

Old October 15th 14, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

On 10/14/2014 7:39 PM, Mishi wrote:
A couple more suggestions: when you get the carrier,

zip tie the sides together, even if it has bolts or
clips. I have had them come apart and cats escape,
so now I make sure the sides are secured. I even
had the door come off on one of the crates, so now
I zip tie both of the door sides. Makes for a pain
at the vets, but they can't get out! One year, I
had to have all my crew's rabies shots done because
one of my outside guys scratched someone. The vet
that the county wanted them done at was 20 miles
away, up over some nasty hills. I had 30 cats done,
6 to 7 in the car at a time. That is how I know
about crates and cats escaping! Not fun!

You know, that is real world wisdom. Can't get
that kind of wisdom from books. I do use
zip ties at work, have plenty on hand. Double
thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old October 15th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

On 10/15/2014 6:42 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Cats feel more secure in a new place if they have somewhere to retreat
to when needed. Somewhere with a small inaccessible place is ideal -
under a sofa or bed, in a box in the back of the closet etc - but most
people provide an entire room, particularly if there are other animals
in the household, with food, water, litter, and somewhere for the cat to
retreat while it decides if it likes its new home.

I live in a house full of odd boxes and
stuff. I'd guess plenty of cat caves, to
be found.

-
..
Christopher A. Young