question on spaying and neutering

Old November 3rd 03, 04:07 PM
Lauralai

Default question on spaying and neutering

hi
Tomorrow my 2 kittens are going to get spayed and neutered. Well not
tomorrow but they get droped off before 7 then the next day they have
surgery and the day after that they come home.

I have a question though, do many people get blood work done before there
cat's go under anaesthesia? At the vet i go to they have plans and they
take the cost of all the vacs and the spay or neuter and devided it into
equal payments. Well additionally to those payments there are extra things
you can add on top of the basic package. There is a pre-anaesthetic blood
screen where they test for risk factors to do with the blood, liver and
kidney's for 47 dollars before anaethesia, then they have viral blood test
for cats which cost 20-50, microchip for 60, flouride dental treatment for
12 and flea treatment for 5-7.

My question is how many people get blood work done before the operation, the
vet I saw for the pre surgery exam wasn't my normal vet that I see. She
recommended that they get the blood work, but I have had cat's spayed there
before and they always recommend the blood work. So I was wondering if they
really should have it. One is a pure bred hym and i figured he might need
it to make sure he's alright but the other kitty is a DSH. I'm asking this
because I still have one payment left on the plan and I lent my mother some
money not thinking of it so I only really have the money for the last
payment but if you recommend that the blood work be done I can borrow money
from my grandma til my mother pays me back.
Thanks for your input

Old November 4th 03, 05:21 PM
Rene

"Lauralai" wrote in message ...
hi
Tomorrow my 2 kittens are going to get spayed and neutered. Well not
tomorrow but they get droped off before 7 then the next day they have
surgery and the day after that they come home.

I have a question though, do many people get blood work done before there
cat's go under anaesthesia? At the vet i go to they have plans and they
take the cost of all the vacs and the spay or neuter and devided it into
equal payments. Well additionally to those payments there are extra things
you can add on top of the basic package. There is a pre-anaesthetic blood
screen where they test for risk factors to do with the blood, liver and
kidney's for 47 dollars before anaethesia, then they have viral blood test
for cats which cost 20-50, microchip for 60, flouride dental treatment for
12 and flea treatment for 5-7.

Yes, bloodwork is very common anytime a cat (or dog) goes in for
surgery. Especially when a cat is older, you need to make sure they
are in good health before they do any procedure.

BTW, have you checked into your local humane society to microchip your
cats? My local HS does it for a $20 donation. This could save you a
significant amount of money.

I'm curious as to why the vet would do a fluoride treatment. If your
kittens are around 6 months old, they are just getting their adult
teeth in. Did he/she say why?

Rene