Bonnie herding micey toys

Old July 10th 04, 11:18 PM
Cheryl

Default Bonnie herding micey toys

I posted once before about how I've come home to find all of the
play-n-squeak mice toys lined up in a row. At the time I thought it
was just wierd. When I vaccum the house, I put all the toys into a
cat bed that no one sleeps in anymore. I just witnessed Bonnie
creeping up to the cat bed and pulling each mouse toy out and
carrying them one by one by their neck to a spot by the door. She'd
meow when she put one down like she was calling someone. Isn't that
mama cat behavior?

--
Cheryl
Old July 11th 04, 01:06 AM
jmcquown

Cheryl wrote:
I posted once before about how I've come home to find all of the
play-n-squeak mice toys lined up in a row. At the time I thought it
was just wierd. When I vaccum the house, I put all the toys into a
cat bed that no one sleeps in anymore. I just witnessed Bonnie
creeping up to the cat bed and pulling each mouse toy out and
carrying them one by one by their neck to a spot by the door. She'd
meow when she put one down like she was calling someone. Isn't that
mama cat behavior?

Sounds like she's lining up her 'kittens' to be counted. How cute!

Jill

Old July 11th 04, 03:47 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Karen Chuplis
wrote:

Last year, I thought it was possible she was pregnant when I
trapped her, but that was a long time ago for a cat. I wonder if
some just have a maternal instinct that never goes away?

Some certainly do. Our cat Meow was a moma all her life to her one batch
of
kittens. And look at Mary's Mimi who will mother anything that lets her.

Perhaps even parental rather than maternal. I adopted Mr. Clark, Rhonda,
and Ding together. He was an estimated 3 years old, and neutered as an
adult. Once we were at home, he took over the two kittens' hygiene and
welfare, admittedly looking martyred when allowing them to attempt to
nurse on him. He also let Ding ride "horseback" on him.

Mr. Clark is immediately entranced by any human baby that enters the
house, promptly going to their side, giving them any needed baths, etc.

While they have never met, Mr. Clark and a very close friend's
ex-tomcat, Schiz, seem to be soul brothers. Schiz routinely tucks the
children in at night, and patrols their rooms. A few months ago, he ran
to my friend (the mother) in extreme agitation, insisting she follow him
up the stairs. once there, he started flinging himself against a closed
bedroom door, where, as it developed, one of the human children was
having a seizure (from a known condition). He stayed glued to the
situation until resolved.