Could I move to Scotland?!

Old May 4th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Could I move to Scotland?!

Adrian A wrote:

He was a nice man, he was only 65 when he died, only just retired, it was
one hell of a shock when he died. I still miss his friendship.:-(

That is a shame. I'm sorry!

Joyce
Old May 4th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jeanette" wrote in message
k...

I've been there! We stopped overnight at a motel on our way from Cape Cod
Hamilton. Hey, it's not often I can identify with a place in North
America.

As I remember, the view over the lake was amazingly beautiful, but the
place
shut very early and we ended up dining on Doritos and dips and diet cola
from a convenience store.

Are you from Cape Cod? I went there with a tour group once and had a great
time.
I have never been to Hamilton and either Cornwall.
There is also a London in south west Ontario, a far cry from London across
the pond.

Winnie

Jeanette

Old May 4th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 04 May 2006 19:59:51 GMT, yodeled:

Adrian A wrote:

This thread has started me thinking about a former neighbour, he was a Scot
and pretended not to like cats. One day he said "that blooming cat of yours,
Smokey" I said "what about him" he said "he's been asleep on my bed for the
last three hours". I miss them both, they died within three months of each
other, my neighbour three days after my brother. :-(

A picture of Smokey:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75823146tInHpD

What a pretty boy he was!

Your neighbor was a hoot. I get a kick out of people who pretend not
to like cats, but then you see them playing with the cat, or cooing at
it.

Joyce

Count my mom in. When I first got Stinky, she was NOT happy, and
called him every name in the book when she saw him (he WAS an
absolutely amazing, gravity-defying hoolikitten). In front of me,
that was. I'll never forget the day I heard her from the other room,
cooing at him "How are you, sweetheart?"

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 5th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
Jane wrote:
I'm a resident (of 12 years) in Cornwall, just above the Tamar
Valley, and can guarantee it. History drips from every
lichen-encrusted tree-branch and decaying granite mine-engine
house.

Y'all'd be welcome for a visit

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

They say y'all in Cornwall? And here I thought that was just the
southern U.S. By the way, do you have a recipe for Cornish
pasties?

I have my grandmother's recipe, as remembered by my father.

Take a pie crust and roll it out. Put raw sliced potatoes into the
middle, with some pieces of raw ground beef and chopped onions. Salt
and pepper to taste. Seal it all up and bake until done.

Sometimes he put mushrooms in it.

I've seen versions that are deep-fried, but we've never done that.
Check out pasty.com for lots more recipes. I have never seen one
like my grandmother's.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

I'll trust your grandmother's version Sounds good to me! I
absolutely suck at making pie crust, though. Guess I'll have to buy
some ready made stuff.

Jill

That's what I do. And you can handle it a bit, because you're not
looking for light and flaky here, just something that'll hold
together long enough to get baked.
You can make one big one and slice it up to serve, or make smaller
individual pasties. According to my father, these were the lunches
that the guys would take to work. Sometimes they'd put fruit at one
end
so there would be dessert at the end of the meal.
We loved them as children. I still love them. My brother puts catsup
on his. (eewwwww)

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

You want to hear absolutely awful... my father put ketchup on watermelon.

That's pretty awful. I love ketchup, but not on fruit. (OK, watermelon
isn't technically a fruit, but I still can't call it a vegetable)...
Jane's recipe sounds really good to me. Boy Scouts used to cook the
same thing in tin foil and call it a "Hobo Dinner", but the pastry part
sounds wonderful.

Sherry

Old May 5th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote in message
.. .

"Jeanette" wrote in message
k...

I've been there! We stopped overnight at a motel on our way from Cape

Cod
Hamilton. Hey, it's not often I can identify with a place in North
America.

As I remember, the view over the lake was amazingly beautiful, but the
place
shut very early and we ended up dining on Doritos and dips and diet cola
from a convenience store.

Are you from Cape Cod? I went there with a tour group once and had a great
time.
I have never been to Hamilton and either Cornwall.
There is also a London in south west Ontario, a far cry from London across
the pond.

No, but if I had to live in the US, that's the place I'd choose, definitely.
I'm from Lancashire in England, and I live in Preston, Lancs, which is about
fifteen miles inland from Blackpool, and very temperate. It has the least
extreme climate I've ever known anywhere in the UK. I love it here.

Jeanette

Old May 5th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2006 18:23:46 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Please.... with my cat and my small parrot

Love you guys!

Jill

Why do you want to move to Scotland? Very cold weather, no work.
Nice scenery. Think again.

Tweed (half Scottish herself)

Well, ya know... McQuown, Douglas, Brown (Broun)

Jill

A LOT colder than Memphis.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

But not nearly as hot as Bangkok. BTDT. I was born in southern California
and have lived in New Jersey and South Carolina and all those other places
in between. Besides, this is just a "for fun" post. Dad wants to buy me a
house; hey let me goof around with the idea a bit!

Jill

Old May 5th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Adrian A wrote:

This thread has started me thinking about a former neighbour, he

was a Scot and pretended not to like cats. One day he said "that
blooming cat of yours, Smokey" I said "what about him" he said
"he's been asleep on my bed for the last three hours". I miss them
both, they died within three months of each other, my neighbour
three days after my brother. :-(

A picture of Smokey:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75823146tInHpD

What a pretty boy he was!

Your neighbor was a hoot. I get a kick out of people who pretend not
to like cats, but then you see them playing with the cat, or cooing at
it.

Joyce

My father pretended he hated dogs, Joyce. After I was divorced I moved back
in with my parents for a year to get back on my feet. At first he told me,
"You will absolutely clean up after that dog; I don't want it crapping in
the yard." Took about a week, I found him on the floor tickling the dog and
yes, cooing at him.

And then Mom started making him scrambled eggs for breakfast after I left
for work. I said, hey! You don't even make *me* eggs for breakfast! She
replied, "Well, he likes eggs." Uh, yeah, I do too. But I'm not going to
make him eggs every day before I leave for the office and no wonder he won't
eat his dog food! Cut it out!

I finally found out the reason Dad didn't want me to have a dog. He had a
dog that was killed when he was a child and was killed by a neighbor with
poisoned bait. He had a springer spaniel when he grew up in Pennsylvania.
I didn't know my father had a dog until 1984. I wasn't allowed to have any
pets except for birds and a goldfish. I still have a bird; I like birds and
Persia doesn't pay attention to Peaches and Peaches nods her head at Persia
but that's about it.

Dad also allegedly hates cats. Now when I talk to him on the phone he asks
me how Persia is. Go figure

Jill

Old May 5th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

individual pasties. According to my father, these were the lunches
that the guys would take to work. Sometimes they'd put fruit at one
end
so there would be dessert at the end of the meal.
We loved them as children. I still love them. My brother puts catsup
on his. (eewwwww)

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

You want to hear absolutely awful... my father put ketchup on watermelon.

EEEWWWWW!!! GOod thing lunch was a long time ago, or it would have been
ruined for me. Wow. What was his reasoning?