Introduction Status Report

Old July 18th 04, 07:28 AM
Brian Link

Default Introduction Status Report

Okay, I know I'm prattling - but this is therapy for me because of how
stressful this dang process is. Luckily there are killfiles.. =)

Anyway, Henry (new cat) has developed an irritating habit of waking up
around 4AM to play. In our room. Which is closed. It's just like
having a baby. So he gets relocated to a different closed room at that
time - otherwise he'll howl and holler if I stick him there at the
beginning of the night.

First thing this morning Henry escaped and I hollered downstairs
"Incoming Cat!". I ran after him and heard a cat shriek. Turned the
stairs to find him and Louis (young cat) squared off. He'd come around
the corner and surprised Louis, who quickly smacked him. Bloodied his
nose. Took him back upstairs.

Took him out twice later in the day. Tiger (older cat) sits and
watches, unimpressed. Louis crouches and prepares to fight to the
death if Henry makes a wrong move. I keep them quite a distance.

Henry hopped in a window, near Tiger. Tiger mewed and gently put his
paw out to Henry ("back now, youngster"). Henry doesn't seem to mind.
They sat for about 20 minutes like that, till Louis had to see what
was going on. He hopped up behind the curtain and started his
incredible growling. I scooped up Henry and put him back in
quarantine.

(note - bengals are definitely unusual cats. Louis always struck me as
part housecat part beast - though always lovable. But when his dander
is up, he's capable of a growl I've never heard from a housecat
before. It's like the stereotypical big cat roar, only sized down to
about 10 pounds. It freaks Tiger out too..)

Before bed I carried Henry downstairs again. We played with a mouse,
then a flyer, and he happily pounced around after em. He ate some
food, and went to lay in the living room. Tiger strolled by, they
sniffed, and walked past each other contentedly with their tails up.
Tiger layed down, Henry slowly walked near him and layed down,
stretching his paws out toward Tiger and closing his eyes.

Louis moved to the piano, and Henry lined him up in his sights.
Eventually, they both were on top of the piano, and I was between
them. Talked to them both, petting each in turn with the same hand, no
growling. Some nervousness, but no blows thrown. They eventually
closed their eyes and seemed to nap. I took it as a success, bundled
up Henry and took him to his room.

Lessons for today - 1) Louis can defend himself. 2) Henry likes Tiger
3) Tiger can tolerate Henry 4) Henry and Louis can spend some Quality
Time together without and blood being drawn.

Thanks for lettin me write. Hopefully I can share some good news in a
while. =)

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
----------------------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea;
they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
- regmech

Old July 18th 04, 05:19 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Brian Link at
wrote on 7/18/04 1:28AM:

[...]

Actually, this is pretty interesting. Sounds like progress was made. Good
deal.

Old July 18th 04, 08:58 PM
MacCandace

Okay, I know I'm prattling - but this is therapy for me because of how
stressful this dang process is. Luckily there are killfiles.. =)

I don't mind your prattling since I'm prattling, too, in other threads, and
going through much the same as you. I have to say that my 3 have laid together
and tolerated each other for brief episodes but if one of the 2 resident cats
attempts to get up and walk in front of the newcomer, then the fun begins. So
we are back at square one with total separation and contact can only be made
thru a screen door but the resident cats are not interested in even that.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)