Coconut oil for giardia?

Old August 9th 04, 05:04 PM
Cheryl

Default Coconut oil for giardia?

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", "KellyH"
artfully composed this message within
news:YtbRc.90177$8_6.27319@attbi_s04 on 07 Aug 2004:

I started doing some research about giardia and came across some
claims that virgin coconut oil can kill giardia. Granted, most
of the sites I saw were selling coconut oil, but I was wondering
if there is any truth to this. Any other ideas for killing a
stubborn case of giardia?

Kelly, I found the same sites when looking for relief (ANY relief)
for Shadow and his IBD. Some research of mine led to candida which
could have accounted for his goopy ears (yeast) and that also can
cause diarrhea and intestinal upset so also found many links to
coconut oil, probably the same ones you're finding. Bottom line was
that none of the vet sites, and even many of the holistic ones never
mentioned coconut oil so I figured it was all hokey and never tried
it.

--
Cheryl
Old August 9th 04, 09:35 PM
KellyH

"Cheryl" wrote in message

Kelly, I found the same sites when looking for relief (ANY relief)
for Shadow and his IBD. Some research of mine led to candida which
could have accounted for his goopy ears (yeast) and that also can
cause diarrhea and intestinal upset so also found many links to
coconut oil, probably the same ones you're finding. Bottom line was
that none of the vet sites, and even many of the holistic ones never
mentioned coconut oil so I figured it was all hokey and never tried
it.

--
Cheryl

I went to Wild Oats today hoping to procure both slippery elm and virgin
coconut oil, but could find neither. I'm desperate to help this cat. The
shelter vet comes in tomorrow, so I'll ask her if there are any other
options we can try to help her. Even if the giardia doesn't completely go
away, we need to at least get the diarrhea under control. She is a very
sweet cat. I'm thinking about fostering her, but I don't know how practical
that will be.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old August 10th 04, 03:30 AM
KellyH

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
Yeah that is surprising. I would think Wild Oats would have it for sure.

Do
you have Whole Foods there? I know they carry slippery elm in capsules.

One of the other volunteers said she had some and is bringing it in
tomorrow. I'll ask her where she got it. Maybe I wasn't looking in the
right area.