Shutting Down?

Old October 17th 04, 06:53 AM

Default Shutting Down?

Well, the colony I've been caring for for the last ten-or-so years seems
to be losing its population pretty dramatically. I'm not sure what's up,
although there have been many coyote sightings in nearby communities.
I've only ever found evidence of a coyote attack on the cats once, last
April.

Whatever the reason, my feeding station has been getting less and less
business, judging from the amount of food being consumed. I've spayed
and nuetered just about every cat in the area, found homes for almost
all of the kittens and I think I may now be seeing some kind of natural
attrition at work here.

Of course, it's always possible that someone else is putting out more
attractive offerings than me. But either way, the fact remains that I'm
not seeing cats like I used to around here. They used to await my
arrival in the evenings when I'd bring servings of wet food. Now, there
is nobody there when I arrive, and I wind up desolately leaving the
bowls of food. Sometimes there is still some uneaten when I return early
the following morning.

Still, most mornings dawn on pretty much empty wet and dry food
containers, so somebody is eating the food. I hate the idea that it
might be the coyotes themselves chowing down on my dime, or some dog
walker letting his mutt run free.

But without seeing any of the cats, I just don't know anymore.

While I'm not enthusiastic about the idea of "abandoning" the colony, it
sure would be a relief in terms of time and money. On this colony and
one other, I've been spending around three hundred a month just on food.
As I've mentioned, for about ten years now, I've been going faithfully
at least twice a day, every day, to tend to the ferals. I police the
area at least once a week, sometimes spending hours ensuring that locals
have no reason to complain. No vacations (except when I had a heart
attack, and then only because the hospital wouldn't let me out :-),
trips, or days off.

But, there hasn't been much to police up lately. Cats who I used to see
every day now disappear for long periods. Sometimes for weeks or even
months. I don't know if they are alive or dead, and just about when I've
given up ever seeing them again, here they come, tails in the air when I
get there. Then they hang around for a few days and *poof* disappear
again.

OTOH, cats that I thought were long gone suddenly turn up in
conversations with passersby. Last month, one woman told me about the
"cutest" feral cats she'd ever seen in her life on this property just
two weeks before. Her description of both the physical characteristics
and the behavior (which is quite unusual for ferals) matched a queen and
her male kitten that I haven't seen with my own eyes in over a year! I
was totally taken aback; I had been *sure* those two were dead--or at
least the queen.

These are animals that used to hang out with me while I was there. They
showed up practically every night. Two of the cats who now disappear for
long periods literally jump into my open drivers window when I arrive
and eat their food on the passenger seat...when they show up at all,
which is rare.

I guess it's pretty certain that they've got another food source that I
don't know about.

Sorry about going on like this, but I'm frustrated, tired, and I'm
pretty sure I've got the flu that you can't get a shot for anymore. So,
what do people think? Is it worth the work and expense to keep the
shelter/feeding station going? Am I counterproductively promoting the
presence of coyotes (I haven't seen any lately, but they sure were there
last winter). Are there any good indicators when a colony is dissolved,
and the feeding station superfluous? Thanks to all those who've read
this far.
Old October 17th 04, 08:03 PM
Chris

I hope you don't give up... what sort of area is the colony in.... I know
that I used to feed a very small group at a marina and in the summer, I
didn't always see them as there was either too much traffic or too much
thrown out food lying around.... Is it possible to put a breakway collar on
some of them with a little note to whoever may be also feeding them??? Cats
who are so used to you don't just go off without some reason.. Maybe try
not leaving food one day to see if anybody is there waiting the next day???
I know how frustrating it is when they 'disappear'--you just never know if
they died or went off someplace....

Old October 17th 04, 08:53 PM

In article . net,
"Chris" wrote:

I hope you don't give up

It's been tearing me up to think of doing this, but I'm trying hard to
be dispassionate about it. I really don't want to feed those frickin'
coyotes, you know? (sorry for the language, but coyotes just **** me
off no end--even though I've testified in city hall meetings around
here against the use of "padded" leg hold traps in communities where
coyotes have become a public concern or nuisance)

what sort of area is the colony in

It was formerly a lovely rural area of orchards and fallow fields. Now,
it's a pretty busy, high-traffic place, especially on weekdays; more
industrial park/suburban than rural. Still, it's a very high-end place
with some of the highest property values in the region. There used to
be powerful people railing against the cats and those who feed them,
but colony caretakers (including myself) have been so responsible--and
so lucky--that even the skeptics have mostly come around. The coyotes
are beginning to screw that up, though (yet something else to blame on
the cats).

Is it possible to put a breakway collar on some of them with a little
note to whoever may be also feeding them?

Heh. I actually *did* that with one of the cats who come into my car to
eat (I mean, gorge). I had a special ID tag made up and everything. He
didn't seem to mind wearing it at all. I don't think it lasted even a
single day on him; the following day he was as naked as the day he was
born. So, I was going to put a cat "vest" on him, but never did get
around to it, because I wasn't sure if it would hamper his ability to
survive. Now, I see him only occassionally (though I worry about him
all the time).

Cats who are so used to you don't just go off without some reason

Yeah, this whole feline Diaspora thing started about two years ago when
someone dumped at least two litters of kittens at my colony. Next thing
I know, all my regulars disappeared, like that remarkable queen and
kitten I mentioned in my last post. I cannot tell you how much I miss
the way things used to be there. It is so lonely there now. All the
dumped kittens found homes, but my old-time regulars don't seem to
think of their place as home any more. Seriously breaking my heart.

That I would even be *considering* of shutting down the feeding station
is an enormous departure for me; very traumatic.

Old October 18th 04, 02:57 AM
Chris

A couple of thoughts... have you tried going at different times. Also, is
it less busy on weekends? maybe go a few times on some weekends. They must
be eating someplace as they would simply not abandon their feeding station.
Maybe there is something about the particular spot you put the food in... I
don't have any great ideas but there is a feralcats group in Yahoo that
seems to have a lot of members and I would guess some have had the same
experience.... try posting there--I bet somebody has some ideas. By the
way, where are you located?

Old October 20th 04, 01:39 AM

In article .net,
"Chris" wrote:

By the way, where are you located?

To avoid any more kitten-dumping, I'd rather not say specifically. But
generally, the colony in question is in the south San Francisco bay
area. Last night, for the first time in weeks, one of my old timers
came back and jumped right in the car window like he always does. He
gorged on food and then, when he couldn't eat any more, he refused to
leave. So, as tired and sick as I am, I sat there in the car with him.

I wish he was this tame with everybody; he let me examine him all over
with lots of kneading and purring. He'd be a breeze to place in a home
if this was his usual personality. Unfortunately, he becomes
aggressively feral when he's approached by others. He actually
frightened clinic workers briefly when we had him fixed--one of them
thought he was a bobcat. He's a huge cat, a horse really, with only a
stub left from losing his tail in an engine compartment as a kitten
(before I was able to trap him). He's lucky he wasn't killed that day.
There's no fat on him, either (well, his belly *was* pretty round when
he finally finished eating last night).

With me he's docile as a kitten. I can pick him up and carry him around
as long as there's nothing to scare him. With the other cats, he's a
coward. The feeding station will stay open as long as he is there.

But, it took a long time to gain his trust. And he doesn't come around
all the time. I have no such relationship with any of the cats eating
there now. I can't gain their trust if I don't ever even see them.

Yes, I have gone at weird times, like before sunrise.

Old October 20th 04, 05:22 AM
bluemaxx

I can feel your pain when you write of missing the cats. I feed 2,
sometimes 3, feral cats that come to my backyard deck. I know how
worried I get if they don't show up on time or if they miss coming for a
day or two.

But I'm glad that one of your old timers met up with you last night.
You did and still are making a difference, even if it's only for that
one old timer, bearclaw. Prayers for better health and sound sleep are
winging their way to you.

:
[...]

---