Q for PhilP cat shelves

Old October 26th 05, 08:29 PM
Juls

Default Q for PhilP cat shelves

Hey Phil,

I'm going to go to Lowes either tomorrow or Friday to get a sheet of
MDF (3/4 inch) for another project I'm doing (building a desk). The
sheet they have is 4' by 8' so I'll have a lot of MDF left over.

First, do you think MDF would be okay to use for the cat wall shelves?
I know there's a slight leak of formaldehyde, so I'll seal it before
adding the carpet. (The carpet might seal it, but I'd rather play it
double safe)

Lowe's claimed they'll cut the whole sheet down for me if I come in
with a plan, so I thought I might as well have them cut it down to the
sizes I'll need for the shelves (and then cut some other shelves I may
use elsewhere)

What depth of shelf should I do? I'm thinking 10 to 12 inches, but
since I've never done this, I'd like to get it right. Jack is a big boy
(17 pounds) so needs to be big enough for him. I haven't exactly
figured out my plan yet, but I know they're gonna love this! I've got
their tower in the bedroom at a prime window, and I'm going to
incorporate the tower into the overall plan since they use the tower so
much.

TIA,

Juls

p.s. I do have a saw of my own, a Black and Decker Navigator (which my
friend calls my ladies' saw), but since Lowes said they'd cut it all up
for me, it will save the blade, plus cut down my risk of losing an arm.
Also, I need to fit this all into my car. The saw has a small jigsaw
attachment, so I can cut the holes myself.

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g
Old October 26th 05, 10:18 PM
Rhino

"Juls" wrote in message
Hey Phil,

I'm going to go to Lowes either tomorrow or Friday to get a sheet of
MDF (3/4 inch) for another project I'm doing (building a desk). The
sheet they have is 4' by 8' so I'll have a lot of MDF left over.

First, do you think MDF would be okay to use for the cat wall shelves?
I know there's a slight leak of formaldehyde, so I'll seal it before
adding the carpet. (The carpet might seal it, but I'd rather play it
double safe)

You should also seal the pieces you use for your desk.

Lowe's claimed they'll cut the whole sheet down for me if I come in
with a plan, so I thought I might as well have them cut it down to the
sizes I'll need for the shelves (and then cut some other shelves I may
use elsewhere)

"Claimed?" You sound doubtful. I've never been to Lowe's - we only have one
around here and it's on the opposite side of the city - but if they are
anything like their major competition, Home Depot, they will definitely have
a huge wall-mounted saw for cutting large sheets of plywood or other sheet
materials down to smaller pieces. If you're trying to carry the cut pieces
inside the car - as opposed to on a roof rack or in a minivan - be sure you
figure out how large the pieces can be and still fit into the car. For
example, if your pieces are going to be 4 ft X 4 ft, make sure that you can
get a piece that size into your car door or trunk.

What depth of shelf should I do? I'm thinking 10 to 12 inches, but
since I've never done this, I'd like to get it right. Jack is a big boy
(17 pounds) so needs to be big enough for him. I haven't exactly
figured out my plan yet, but I know they're gonna love this! I've got
their tower in the bedroom at a prime window, and I'm going to
incorporate the tower into the overall plan since they use the tower so
much.

TIA,

Juls

p.s. I do have a saw of my own, a Black and Decker Navigator (which my
friend calls my ladies' saw), but since Lowes said they'd cut it all up
for me, it will save the blade, plus cut down my risk of losing an arm.
Also, I need to fit this all into my car. The saw has a small jigsaw
attachment, so I can cut the holes myself.

Good! I don't think Lowe's will cut those for you :-) Again, if they are
like Home Depot, they will cut large rectangular sheets down to smaller
rectangular sections but won't do anything more than that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to butt in but just wanted you to understand the
wood-cutting service the large stores offer.

Rhino

Old October 26th 05, 11:20 PM
---MIKE---

Here is some information on formaldehyde in wood products.

You can avoid exposure to higher levels by:
Purchasing pressed wood products such as particleboard, MDF, or hardwood
plywood for construction or remodeling of homes, or for do-it-yourself
projects, that are labeled or stamped to be in conformance with American
National Standards Institute (ANSI) criteria. Particleboard should be in
conformance with ANSI A208.1-1993. For particleboard flooring, look for
ANSI grades "PBU", "D2", or "D3" actually stamped on the panel. MDF
should be in conformance with ANSI A208.2-1994; and hardwood plywood
with ANSI/HPVA HP-1-1994. These standards all specify lower formaldehyde
emission levels

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 27th 05, 01:01 AM
Juls

In article , "Rhino"
wrote:

"Claimed?" You sound doubtful. I've never been to Lowe's - we only have one
around here and it's on the opposite side of the city - but if they are
anything like their major competition, Home Depot, they will definitely have
a huge wall-mounted saw for cutting large sheets of plywood or other sheet
materials down to smaller pieces. If you're trying to carry the cut pieces
inside the car - as opposed to on a roof rack or in a minivan - be sure you
figure out how large the pieces can be and still fit into the car. For
example, if your pieces are going to be 4 ft X 4 ft, make sure that you can
get a piece that size into your car door or trunk.

The reason I seemed a bit skeptical is because I know the policy at
Home Depot is first three cuts for free, after that it's 25 cents a
cut, and once I asked them about the cuts, and the guy went off a bit
about the cuts might not be exactly to measure. I never knew if that
meant it might be a quarter inch off or two feet off. (the only time
I've ever had a rude Home Depot person...usually they're VERY great!) I
had called Lowes the other day about it, and he said they'd cut it to
whatever I wanted and was friendly about it. But I'm thinking like
maybe 20 cuts. LOL. (However, I'd pay for them...would be cheaper than
a new saw blade...I've read that MDF dulls your blade quickly)

They do have a big wall saw like you said. I had them cut some 4 by 4's
for me last summer and they just zipped through them.

I need to clean out my car and make room for this stuff. LOL. I think
Jack and Jazz sense the excitement in the air.

I generally like Home Depot better than Lowes, but I've got a ten
percent off coupon for Lowes. (I have a large list of things to buy)

Old October 27th 05, 03:25 AM
Phil P.

"Juls" wrote in message
Hey Phil,

I'm going to go to Lowes either tomorrow or Friday to get a sheet of
MDF (3/4 inch) for another project I'm doing (building a desk). The
sheet they have is 4' by 8' so I'll have a lot of MDF left over.

First, do you think MDF would be okay to use for the cat wall shelves?
I know there's a slight leak of formaldehyde, so I'll seal it before
adding the carpet. (The carpet might seal it, but I'd rather play it
double safe)

You're gonna hate me- but I would never use MDF to build something a cat
would be on constantly- and probably even sleep on. Painting and sealing
the board may reduce the urea formaldehyde outgassing to acceptable levels
for humans- but not for cats. Their olfactory bulb is much larger in area
than a human's and their body mass is much less- so, even small amounts of
formaldehyde outgassing that are acceptable for humans could produce adverse
effects in cats. May- be not- but why take the chance when other safer,
stronger and inexpensive alternatives are available. You could probably
build two columns with window bridges from one sheet of 4' x 8', 3/4" luann
for $30.

After you have the shelving up and carpeting down, you can close in the
sides and front of a few levels with 1/8" or 1/4" luann to give the cats
hidey holes. If you close in a shelf- measure from the top of the shelf to
the bottom of the shelf below, and from the front edge to the wall for the
sides. The store will cut these for you also. Just tack the pieces to the
shelves with brads.

Lowe's claimed they'll cut the whole sheet down for me if I come in
with a plan, so I thought I might as well have them cut it down to the
sizes I'll need for the shelves (and then cut some other shelves I may
use elsewhere)

What depth of shelf should I do? I'm thinking 10 to 12 inches, but
since I've never done this, I'd like to get it right. Jack is a big boy
(17 pounds) so needs to be big enough for him.

12" x 18" or 24" would be fine- 12" would give them a little more room to
curl up. 12" will also allow you cut bigger holes for the cats to climb
through. You can make the top shelves wider (14") because that's where
they'll probably hang out the most. The double-prong brackets come in 9",
11" 13" and I think 15". Just make sure you screw the uprights into the
studs- the brackets will hold 300 lbs and 3/4" luann will not sag.

I haven't exactly
figured out my plan yet, but I know they're gonna love this! I've got
their tower in the bedroom at a prime window, and I'm going to
incorporate the tower into the overall plan since they use the tower so
much.

If you really want to get creative, put a shelf around the entire room about
14" from the ceiling. The double-prong uprights come in 12" lengths.

TIA,

Juls

p.s. I do have a saw of my own, a Black and Decker Navigator (which my
friend calls my ladies' saw), but since Lowes said they'd cut it all up
for me, it will save the blade, plus cut down my risk of losing an arm.
Also, I need to fit this all into my car. The saw has a small jigsaw
attachment, so I can cut the holes myself.

You'll need a drill to make the hole for the jigsaw blade.

Send me a picture when its finished!

Phil

Old October 27th 05, 04:11 AM
Juls

In article , "Phil P."
wrote:

"Juls" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, don't hate you at all. I'll find uses for the rest of the MDF -
I've got an entire basement that can always use more shelves. What you
say makes sense about the formaldehyde, and I'd rather *not* take a
chance.

I have to confess I've never heard of Luann, and the Lowes lumber list
for my area only lists MDF, particle board, pine and fir. Is Luann a
kind of tree? I'm wondering if it might not be available in my area?
I'll call them tomorrow and ask.

After you have the shelving up and carpeting down, you can close in the
sides and front of a few levels with 1/8" or 1/4" luann to give the cats
hidey holes. If you close in a shelf- measure from the top of the shelf to
the bottom of the shelf below, and from the front edge to the wall for the
sides. The store will cut these for you also. Just tack the pieces to the
shelves with brads.

Jack and Jazz will love this.

snipped and printed

You'll need a drill to make the hole for the jigsaw blade.

I actually have a drill (I like projects), and was thinking about
buying a drill saw to cut a hole for the cords in my desk I'm making. I
thought I'd check prices and see how high they are...might come in
handy to have some.

Send me a picture when its finished!

Oh I will...you know I will.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Old October 27th 05, 03:49 PM
Rhino

"Juls" wrote in message
In article , "Rhino"
wrote:

[...]

They should probably tell you the tolerance they are talking about when they
warn you that the cuts might not be exactly where you want them. I *assume*
that they would be within a quarter inch or perhaps the saw blade width
(which is usually less than a quarter inch) but I could be wrong. I don't
think you have to worry about the cuts being off by much more than that
unless the operator makes a big mistake or mishears what you say about where
you want the cuts or misreads your plan due to your handwriting.

(the only time
I've ever had a rude Home Depot person...usually they're VERY great!) I
had called Lowes the other day about it, and he said they'd cut it to
whatever I wanted and was friendly about it. But I'm thinking like
maybe 20 cuts. LOL. (However, I'd pay for them...would be cheaper than
a new saw blade...I've read that MDF dulls your blade quickly)

I think that's right: I believe it is the high density of MDF that dulls
cutting surfaces. I haven't done very much with MDF myself but have heard
some things from woodworking buddies.

Old October 27th 05, 05:28 PM
Juls

In article , Juls
wrote:

I have to confess I've never heard of Luann, and the Lowes lumber list
for my area only lists MDF, particle board, pine and fir. Is Luann a
kind of tree? I'm wondering if it might not be available in my area?
I'll call them tomorrow and ask.

Well, they have it. I forgot to specify thickness, but he said a 4 by 8
was 11 dollars. The MDF (3/4 inch) was 12.99 last week and this week
seems to be 19.99. I guess wood is like gas and goes up and down. (Or
maybe went up because of gas)

I might just try the Luann for the desk I'm making.

Jazz could have used the cat jungle this morning...she's out of control.

Jack used to get this twinkle in his eye when he was amused by
something, and he lost it after Dmitri died. It's back!

:::happy dance:::