Bandit's Going Blind

Old March 24th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Bandit's Going Blind

Or at least very, very near-sighted. At 16, I guess that's not all that
unusual. She's been to the vet recently and is in great health otherwise,
so this isn't the result of an illness, just age. She doesn't seem to be
bothered by it, the only reason I noticed is that she doesn't look me in the
eyes any more, she just looks in my general direction when I talk to her
unless I'm very close to her. Also, she'll be walking along and get very
startled by another cat in her path.

I know there is at least one person here who lives with a blind cat. Any
advice on how I can make Bandit's life easier would be very much
appreciated.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 24th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
I know there is at least one person here who lives with a blind cat. Any
advice on how I can make Bandit's life easier would be very much
appreciated.

One thing I know is that you should refrain from moving furniture and
putting boxes in the way. Blind critters (and people) navigate their
surroundings based on memory, so if you change things, they have to
re-learn a new layout.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 24th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
I know there is at least one person here who lives with a blind cat. Any
advice on how I can make Bandit's life easier would be very much
appreciated.

One thing I know is that you should refrain from moving furniture and
putting boxes in the way. Blind critters (and people) navigate their
surroundings based on memory, so if you change things, they have to
re-learn a new layout.

Yep, I think that's probably why she stays mostly in my bedroom too (except
for trips to the litter boxes in the garage) - it's very familiar territory.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Old March 24th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:49:28 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

Or at least very, very near-sighted. At 16, I guess that's not all that
unusual. She's been to the vet recently and is in great health otherwise,
so this isn't the result of an illness, just age. She doesn't seem to be
bothered by it, the only reason I noticed is that she doesn't look me in the
eyes any more, she just looks in my general direction when I talk to her
unless I'm very close to her. Also, she'll be walking along and get very
startled by another cat in her path.

I know there is at least one person here who lives with a blind cat. Any
advice on how I can make Bandit's life easier would be very much
appreciated.

Oh dear Lori, and dear Bandit. I have no advice for you, just plenty
of purrs. My dearest Stinky is 15 now, and I know how it feels to
want their every moment to be comfortable and happy.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 25th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Or at least very, very near-sighted. At 16, I guess that's not all that
unusual. She's been to the vet recently and is in great health otherwise,
so this isn't the result of an illness, just age. She doesn't seem to be
bothered by it, the only reason I noticed is that she doesn't look me in the
eyes any more, she just looks in my general direction when I talk to her
unless I'm very close to her. Also, she'll be walking along and get very
startled by another cat in her path.

I offer many purrs for Bandit.

I think that, unlike Duffy, Bandit is realizing she's not what she used
to be and so she clings to the familiar. (Duffy, born blind, may not
realize his situation is not every cat's situation.) Trying your best
to keep things in the same position will help her. And lots of love.

--Fil

Old March 25th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Or at least very, very near-sighted. At 16, I guess that's not all that
unusual. She's been to the vet recently and is in great health otherwise,
so this isn't the result of an illness, just age. She doesn't seem to be
bothered by it, the only reason I noticed is that she doesn't look me in
the eyes any more, she just looks in my general direction when I talk to
her unless I'm very close to her. Also, she'll be walking along and get
very startled by another cat in her path.

I know there is at least one person here who lives with a blind cat. Any
advice on how I can make Bandit's life easier would be very much
appreciated.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Lori, I adopted a blind cat (Duffy) two years ago, so you may be thinking of
me. Before I discuss caring for a blind cat, though, I want to emphasize to
you that it is *very important* to have Bandit checked *immediately* - that
is, tomorrow. I realize that you said Bandit had been seen by a vet
recently. However, cats usually do not go blind simply because of age. There
would be a cause behind it, and it is very probable that the cause is
hypertension (high blood pressure). So, you need to get an immediate
evaluation, and make sure that the vet you use has a blood pressure monitor.
Vets do not routinely check blood pressure, and many do not even have the
equipment to do so. The reason I am being so emphatic is that high blood
pressure is known as "the silent killer." In addition, hypertension can very
quickly lead to detached retinas (and blindness). However, if it is caught
*fast enough* and the cat is placed on medication (Norvasc), the retina will
usually reattach and the cat will regain its vision. Again, this will only
happen if *immediate* action is taken - so please do not delay.

If you do learn that Bandit has already lost vision, then please contact me,
either through this newsgroup or through email. I will be very happy to
share what I have learned about feline blindness and try to help you with
some suggestions in living with and caring for a blind cat. A blind cat can
function perfectly well and be just as happy as a sighted cat.

MaryL

Old March 25th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Or at least very, very near-sighted. At 16, I guess that's not all that
unusual. She's been to the vet recently and is in great health otherwise,
so this isn't the result of an illness, just age. She doesn't seem to be
bothered by it, the only reason I noticed is that she doesn't look me in the
eyes any more, she just looks in my general direction when I talk to her
unless I'm very close to her. Also, she'll be walking along and get very
startled by another cat in her path.

I know there is at least one person here who lives with a blind cat. Any
advice on how I can make Bandit's life easier would be very much
appreciated.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/ca.../blindcats.cfm

a site with help. Purrs to you.

Old March 25th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Bandit's Going Blind LONG

CatNipped wrote:
I know there is at least one person here who lives with a blind cat.

Any
advice on how I can make Bandit's life easier would be very much
appreciated.

One thing I know is that you should refrain from moving furniture and
putting boxes in the way. Blind critters (and people) navigate their
surroundings based on memory, so if you change things, they have to
re-learn a new layout.
Victor M. Martinez

I had a totally blind cat who got that way from fighting w/her companions
under a box spring (they had long past tore the thin cloth off originally
over
the wood 2X4's) and knocking her head repeatedly under there...detached
retinas, both eyes. I didn't know till till I saw them all basking in
sunlight
one day and noticed her pupils were not slits like the others there! Vet
said her vitals were fine and that was what had done it, the jumping and
head-knocking under the bed. She avoided the other cats after that happened,
became a "loner"; but I kept the food and water bowls convenient to all, and
picked her up to her usual spot on the bed every night; she knew exactly
where
the litter box was - never failed - and somehow she sensed when I was on
the "throne" in bathroom as she would sidle up, rub my leg, and get picked
up
and given a hearty love session right there. She went to RB a year ago just
before
Valentine's Day. She was originally a stray I picked up and took in and I
guess
she was older than I had believed (no way to tell).Sorry to hear your
beloved
baby is getting like that but she can still be happy.

Old March 25th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Wonderful story. Thanks for posting it.