Cat-Care Tip:

Old April 4th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat-Care Tip:

Never use a human toothpaste on your cat's teeth. Our toothpaste is made to
be rinsed out of our mouths, and cats can't rinse or spit.

No matter what type of litter box you buy for your cat, make sure she can
easily get into and out of it. Be especially careful when you're buying a
box for a small kitten, because high sides, a cover, or a flap over the
entrance may make the box too hard

A timid cat will feel better if he has a safe hiding place in every room. A
covered cat bed or a little kitty tent placed in a quiet corner of each room
will help him spend less time under the bed and more time with you.

Never pet a cat on her tummy near the back legs. Cats have a kicking reflex
that will cause them to kick out and scratch you.

Cats can get upper respiratory bacterial and viral infections--in other
words, colds. But we can't catch our cats' colds and they can't catch ours.
If your cat is coughing or wheezing, or has persistent discharge from her
eyes or nose, she needs to see a veterinarian.

Always support a cat's hindquarters when you pick her up. A comfortable way
to hold her is to rest her against your body with her front paws on your
shoulder and your arm under her rump.

The time to read a cat care book is before you bring your cat home. This
way, you'll know just what to do when kitty arrives.

Many cats like to be picked up and held, but only for a short time. The
instant your cat begins to fuss or struggle, put her down.

Feed your cat in a quiet area of the house, where she is unlikely to be
disturbed. Cats feel vulnerable while they're eating and appreciate the
peace and quiet.

Sudden loss of appetite, sudden aggression, excessive thirst or urination,
excessive licking, and sudden refusal to use the litter box can all be signs
of illness. If you observe these symptoms, take your cat to the
veterinarian.

Always check your washer and dryer before you turn them on, because your cat
may have hopped in for a nap.

Don't give your cat his hairball remedy around mealtimes. Many hairball
remedies and treats contain mineral oil or petroleum jelly -- both of which
will leach out the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K from the intestines.

A cat in a car needs to be in a carrier. Letting your cat wander free in
your car be dangerous for her and for you.

Never let your cat drink from the toilet bowl. Even if you don't use
"drop-in" cleaners (which are toxic), residue from toilet cleaning products
can still make your cat sick. Just keep the lid down.

If your cat suddenly starts urinating or defecating outside the litter box,
call your veterinarian. Inappropriate elimination is often caused by a
health problem.

How many litter boxes do you need? If you have one cat and an average size
house, one will do. But if you have a bog house with many levels, a box on
each story is best. More than one cat? The best plan is one box for each
cat, because some cats refuse to share a litter box.

A cat with worms needs to see a veterinarian. Don't rely on over-the-counter
worming medications, because they are not always effective, and may not even
be intended for the specific parasites that are plaguing your cat.

Cats naturally compete for food, and are uncomfortable eating in very close
proximity to one another. Give each of your cats their own separate food
bowl, and space them well apart at meal times.

There is absolutely no medical or behavioral reason for a cat to have a
litter of kittens before she is spayed. It offers no benefits of any kind,
and increases her risk of developing mammary cancer.

Cats are tough and will often hide the signs of an illness. When your cat
suddenly looks ill, she may have been sick for awhile. Take her to the
veterinarian.

The aroma of catnip loses potency over time. To keep kitty's catnip toys
fresh, store them in a plastic container and take them out for a special
play session two or three times a week.

Cats are naturally nocturnal, and will want to party all night. Help your
cat keep quiet when you want to sleep by having a lively, interactive play
session right before you go to bed.

The plastic ring from the top of a milk or juice container is a favorite toy
for many cats.

Feline fasting can be dangerous, and can even lead to serious liver
problems. If your cat refuses to eat for more than two days, consult your
veterinarian.

This tip comes from our reader Renata: I have three cats. I solved the
scratching problems by sticking double-sided tape on the corners of sofa and
chairs. Instant results. I have no frills hanging off my furniture.

Stray cats never know when they will be able to find another meal, so they
usually eat voraciously. If you take in a stray, it's OK to let her have all
she can, but just for a while. As she gains weight, you'll need to start
measuring out her meals.

Kittens who grow up in a more complex, stimulating environment tend to be
bolder, more confident adults.

If a cat cannot hunt, she may indulge her hunting instincts by stalking,
pouncing on and biting you. Redirect this hunting instinct by playing with
kitty using interactive toys.

Daily Cat reader Phyllis Hyde offers this tip for a safe Christmas tree: Use
an artificial tree with a steel pole and VERY prickly branches on the inside
of the tree. They can't get their claws into the steel pole to climb it, and
the prickly branches deter them from using the branches as perches.

Clipping your cat's nails regularly is not only good for your furniture;
it's also good for your cat. Excessively long nails can cause the cat pain,
make it difficult to walk properly, and even grow back into the paw pads.

If your cat has fleas, your house and yard also have fleas and must be
treated. If you take your flea-infested cat anywhere in the car, your car
has fleas, too.

Cats need as much love an attention as dogs do. They just prefer it on their
own terms.

If you keep your cat's litter box in the bathroom, the steam from your
showers may make the litter damp. Keep the box uncovered so the litter can
dry out quickly.

If your cat gets something toxic on her fur, such as a gardening or cleaning
product, it will end up in her system as she grooms. Wash all poisons
immediately and thoroughly from your cat's coat.

As a courtesy to your veterinarian, always trim your cat's nails before you
take her in to the vet's office.

Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the kitchen counter or any place you don't
want your cat to go. Cats hate walking on foil, and your cat will soon learn
what places are off limits.

Never feed dog food to your cat. It simply doesn't have enough protein and
essential amino acids to meet a cat's nutritional needs.

Putting a bell on a cat does not protect neighborhood birds, and can drive a
cat crazy. Studies show that belled cats simply learn how to hunt more
quietly and efficiently. But meanwhile, the tinkling sound of the bell is
annoying and disorienting to the cat, who relies heavily on her sense of
hearing to get around.

Once you have set up a litter box that your cats are using, don't change
anything: not the litter, not the location, and not the box. Cats are
creatures of habit and dislike change.

A healthy cat should see the veterinarian once a year for a check-up.

Many flea control products are not formulated specifically for cats or
kittens. Read the label carefully, because products that are safe for dogs
may be toxic to cats.

If you live alone, make a plan concerning who will care for your cat if
something happens to you. Give a neighbor a key to your home, and carry a
card with you that says you have a cat at home who must be taken care of,
and whom to contact.

If your cat likes to nibble your houseplants, try growing a pot of kitty
grass instead. Seed mixtures just for cats are available at many pet supply
stores. Your cat might also appreciate a little snack of chopped lettuce.

Be consistent with your house rules right from the start. It's not fair to
let a kitten jump up on the dining room table, then suddenly expect her to
keep off when she grows up.

Cats lose weight the same way we do: by eating less and exercising more. Try
to spend more time playing with your tubby tabby.

A simple way to control hairballs is to brush your cat more often. The more
cat hair on the brush, the less your cat will swallow while grooming -- and
the less on your couch, too.

Make sure to change the water in your cat's water dish several times each
day. You don't like to drink water with hair and dust in it, and neither
does your cat.

If your cat is ignoring her scratching post, it may be too short. Cats like
to be able to reach up above their heads and anchor their claws for a good
stretch along with a scratch.

Strings, ribbon and yarn may be fun for kitty to play with, but they can be
hazardous if swallowed. Your cat can get dangerously tangled up, as well. If
you and your cat like to play string games, make sure the string is safely
put away after every game.

If your cat has surgery, talk to your veterinarian about post-operative pain
control. Studies have shown that cats who get pain killers after surgery
heal faster.

Cats can also get acne. If you see little pimples on your cat's chin, they
may be a reaction to plastic dishes. Switch to stainless steel or ceramic
bowls, and dab the acne daily with a cotton ball soaked with a little
peroxide until it disappears.

If your cat likes to chew houseplants, grow a pot of grass for her instead.
"Cat grass" kits are available at most pet supply stores.

Old April 4th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew AKA NMR wrote:

A timid cat will feel better if he has a safe hiding place in every room. A
covered cat bed or a little kitty tent placed in a quiet corner of each room
will help him spend less time under the bed and more time with you.

LOL, how about "A covered cat bed or a little kitty tent placed in a quiet
corner of each room will help him spend less time under the bed and more
time in the kitty tent in the corner."

That would be cuter, though.

Cats can get upper respiratory bacterial and viral infections--in other
words, colds. But we can't catch our cats' colds and they can't catch ours.

Ah, the good old days...

Cats naturally compete for food, and are uncomfortable eating in very close
proximity to one another. Give each of your cats their own separate food
bowl, and space them well apart at meal times.

All my cats like to eat in separate places. Licky changes his feeding
location daily. But they do seem happier and more relaxed when they're
spread out while eating.

The plastic ring from the top of a milk or juice container is a favorite toy
for many cats.

I can certainly vouch for that!

If you keep your cat's litter box in the bathroom, the steam from your
showers may make the litter damp. Keep the box uncovered so the litter can
dry out quickly.

Hmm... I've always had the litter box in the bathroom, a covered box
at that. I've never noticed any problem with this.

As a courtesy to your veterinarian, always trim your cat's nails before you
take her in to the vet's office.

LOL...

If you live alone, make a plan concerning who will care for your cat if
something happens to you. Give a neighbor a key to your home, and carry a
card with you that says you have a cat at home who must be taken care of,
and whom to contact.

This is a good idea. I haven't done this but I should.

Make sure to change the water in your cat's water dish several times each
day.

Are they serious?? I change it once a day, and that's when I'm being
good about it.

I wonder if it's different when you have moving water, ie, a fountain?

Joyce