steps for re-homing a cat

Old December 5th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Maxine G

Default steps for re-homing a cat

Hi. We recently had a disastrous experience with adopting 2 cats. They peed
on the bed and sofa and we eventually had to send them back to their former
owner. It was heartbreaking.

We're about to try again with 2 different cats, and would like some advice
on the best strategies for "re-homing" cats.

I've heard it's a good idea to keep them in one room for the first few
days. How many days is a few? Should we spend time with them in there, or
leave them on their own at first?

There must be articles on this subject somewhere. Are they available
online?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Maxine

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net
Old December 5th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Did you ever figure out what went wrong with the previous cats? Were they
checked out by the vet (with urine testing) to see if there was a medical
reason for their not using the box?

. 17.102...

Old December 5th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Maxine

It wasn't a physical problem because the cats didn't have the behavior
before or after we had them. I don't want to try to dig too deeply into
the psychology of THOSE cats, but to understand the best strategy for
the next ones.

Thanks,
Maxine

"Wendy" wrote in
:

Did you ever figure out what went wrong with the previous cats? Were
they checked out by the vet (with urine testing) to see if there was a
medical reason for their not using the box?

. 17.102...

Old December 5th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Maxine wrote:
It wasn't a physical problem because the cats didn't have the behavior
before or after we had them. I don't want to try to dig too deeply into
the psychology of THOSE cats, but to understand the best strategy for
the next ones.

Thanks,
Maxine

you could try reading the excellent books by Vicky Halls, either Cat
Confidential or The Dat Detective, both of which are excellent at
describing behavioural problems in cats and thus helping you to
identify them in your own felines and sort any problems out with
minimal fuss. She describes a lot of case studies she has worked with
(she is an animal behaviourist or something) which have involved cats
spraying or eliminating in unsuitable places other than their litter
trays and these problems seem to be caused by stress in the cat, either
because the cat is in a new place and is unsettled or because there has
been a newcomer introduced to the house or whatever. Anyway, in the
books she not only describes the problem behaviours but also explains
why they occur and most importantly what you can do in order to prevent
it, without having to hand back your new feline friends to wherever
they came from which i think should really be a last resort.
Remember; cat's cannot speak for themselves so they cannot tell us or
express in ways which we may automatically understand that they are
stressed, scared, insecure or just unhappy. You have to look for signs
of this in any abnormal or unusual behaviour which they may undertake
which, despite being thoroughly antisocial and unpleasant to us, are
possibly the only coping mechanisms left to a very unhappy and stressed
out cat trying to come to terms with his new surroundings.
please read these books asap and give your new cats a chance

Old December 5th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Maxine

"bookie" wrote in news:1165345750.918737.160080@
16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

Maxine wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I will look for these books right away.

Old December 5th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Maxine wrote:
[...]

she has another one out at the minute called The Cat Counsellor or
similar, I have not read it (hoping santa will give it to me) but it is
probably written along similar lines. also if your cats' spraying
behaviour is down to stress then you could also try a feliway diffuser
which emits cat pheromones around the place and is thought to calm them
down a bit. I think you can get them from vets surgeries, bit like one
of those plug-in air freshener things, best of luck with it all

Old December 5th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Well the reason I asked is if you had it confirmed at the vet (which
apparently you didn't) that it definitely wasn't a physical problem but a
behavioral one then you'd have to look to see if there was something in the
environment of your home that might have triggered the problem - an intact
stray hanging around outside for instance - and that might effect what you
need to do to bring in two more without having the same result.

"Maxine" wrote in message
7.102...
It wasn't a physical problem because the cats didn't have the behavior
before or after we had them. I don't want to try to dig too deeply into
the psychology of THOSE cats, but to understand the best strategy for
the next ones.

Thanks,
Maxine

"Wendy" wrote in
:

Did you ever figure out what went wrong with the previous cats? Were
they checked out by the vet (with urine testing) to see if there was a
medical reason for their not using the box?

. 17.102...

Old December 6th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
2oz

Maxine G wrote:
Hi. We recently had a disastrous experience with adopting 2 cats. They peed
on the bed and sofa and we eventually had to send them back to their former
owner. It was heartbreaking.

We're about to try again with 2 different cats,

hold it right there maxine
you're in a deep moral rut now

good luck digging your way out of this one

hell if anything.. dig out just to keep the chops up
otherwise, take the forthcoming fart inspectors with a grain of salt

HEY SOMEBODY PULL MY FINGER

Old December 6th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"2oz"

HEY SOMEBODY PULL MY FINGER

HELL NO

Baby's first steps [email protected] Cat anecdotes 4 June 28th 06 11:25 PM
Vino steps it up a notch! badwilson Cat anecdotes 4 August 1st 05 02:21 PM
Bonnie, the feral (baby steps) Cheryl Cat anecdotes 9 January 11th 05 09:29 AM
Homing Purrs Jeanette Cat anecdotes 68 May 13th 04 12:05 AM
Homing purrs needed Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 23 March 16th 04 04:49 AM