Litter question + new cats update

Old October 16th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

Default Litter question + new cats update

Well, it appears that Edgar and Agatha are taking to their new home OK.
Yesterday they played catch -- running around the house, chasing each other,
tussling for a minute when they caught each other, then starting the chase
again. And now both allow head scratching.

I've noticed that they stretch out on the carpet and roll around every so
often. I assume this is normal?

Question: We have two litterboxes. She likes upstairs. He insists on
downstairs. I scoop out both boxes twice a day (morning and evening). How
often does one change the entire batch of litter and replace all of it?

Also, I am using Arm and Hammer odorless litter, which clumps nicely. Any
recommendations on something equivalent which might cost a tad less?

Thanks,

Jay

Old October 16th 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"Pat" wrote in message
"J J Levin" wrote
I am using Arm and Hammer odorless litter, which clumps nicely. Any
recommendations on something equivalent which might cost a tad less?

I wouldn't call it "equivalent", as the litter we use is made of pine
pellets not clay and it doesn't clump. But it is odor-free if you dump it
as needed (and I have no way of knowing how often that would be for you,
but with 16 cats using 13 oversized boxes, we end up changing every box
about once a week). We use "Equine Fresh" which is the same thing as
"Feline Pine" but costs a fraction of the FP price. I'm terrible at math,
but maybe you can do it: 20 lbs. of Feline Pine is around $10 and 40 lbs.
of Equine Fresh is around $7.

Thanks!!

Jay

Old October 16th 11, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 16, 11:47*am, "J J Levin" wrote:
Well, it appears that Edgar and Agatha are taking to their new home OK.
Yesterday they played catch -- running around the house, chasing each other,
tussling for a minute when they caught each other, then starting the chase
again. *And now both allow head scratching.

I've noticed that they stretch out on the carpet and roll around every so
often. I assume this is normal?

Question: We have two litterboxes. She likes upstairs. He insists on
downstairs. I scoop out both boxes twice a day (morning and evening). How
often does one change the entire batch of litter and replace all of it?

Also, I am using Arm and Hammer odorless litter, which clumps nicely. Any
recommendations on something equivalent which might cost a tad less?

Thanks,

Jay

If you're careful about scooping, and don't allow the clumps to
disintegrate, your
litter will stay fresher far longer. Don't shake the scooper. Just
gently allow the
litter to fall through -- you don't want any urine-soaked pellets to
fall back into the
pan. A tip from a friend of mine: if a urine clump is in the corner,
or soaked all
the way to the bottom of the pan, loosen it with a putty knife to take
care that it
does not fall apart.
There's a scooper available online that honestly makes a world of
difference--it's
called a "Litter Lifter" and it does just that--you lift the solids
and the unsoiled
litter just falls through.
I use Tidy Cat (which I like much better than Arm&Hammer--but that's
just my
opinion. It costs a little more but I think it stays fresh far longer.
I scoop daily as needed,
add a little litter as it's needed, but I don't completely change the
box any more
often than probably once a month. When I *do* completely change the
litter, I
take the box outdoors, wash it and let it dry in the sun.

Sherry
Old October 16th 11, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 10/16/2011 10:47 AM, J J Levin wrote:
Well, it appears that Edgar and Agatha are taking to their new home OK.
Yesterday they played catch -- running around the house, chasing each other,
tussling for a minute when they caught each other, then starting the chase
again. And now both allow head scratching.

I've noticed that they stretch out on the carpet and roll around every so
often. I assume this is normal?

Question: We have two litterboxes. She likes upstairs. He insists on
downstairs. I scoop out both boxes twice a day (morning and evening). How
often does one change the entire batch of litter and replace all of it?

Also, I am using Arm and Hammer odorless litter, which clumps nicely. Any
recommendations on something equivalent which might cost a tad less?

Thanks,

Jay

If you use a large pan and deep litter, it won't have to be changed so often. I used to use A&H but found it too dusty. I now use "World's Best" -- expensive but worth it to me.

I scoop two or three times a day. MLB

Old October 16th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

J J Levin wrote:

Well, it appears that Edgar and Agatha are taking to their new home OK.
Yesterday they played catch -- running around the house, chasing each other,
tussling for a minute when they caught each other, then starting the chase
again. And now both allow head scratching.

They are definitely settling in. Play is a strong indication that they
feel comfortable. I've never seen a frightened cat play!

I've noticed that they stretch out on the carpet and roll around every so
often. I assume this is normal?

VERY. Cats love to roll around on things.

Also, I am using Arm and Hammer odorless litter, which clumps nicely. Any
recommendations on something equivalent which might cost a tad less?

If you happen to live in California, there's brand of litter called "Smart
Litter". I've been using it for years and I'd hate to have to go back to
any other kind. It's the house brand of a smallish pet store chain called
Pet Food Express. As far as I know, they are only in California. If you are,
it would be worthwhile to check it out. Their litter is expensive, but they
offset that with 4-for-the-price-of-3 discounts on everything in the store.

--
Joyce

I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare
odors. -- Cat Resolutions
Old October 16th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:47:09 -0400, "J J Levin"
wrote:
Well, it appears that Edgar and Agatha are taking to their new home OK.
Yesterday they played catch -- running around the house, chasing each other,
tussling for a minute when they caught each other, then starting the chase
again. And now both allow head scratching.

I've noticed that they stretch out on the carpet and roll around every so
often. I assume this is normal?

This is absolutely abnormal, unless they're happy cats.
Old October 16th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

wrote:

Well, it appears that Edgar and Agatha are taking to their new home OK.
Yesterday they played catch -- running around the house, chasing each other,
tussling for a minute when they caught each other, then starting the chase
again. And now both allow head scratching.

I've noticed that they stretch out on the carpet and roll around every so
often. I assume this is normal?

Question: We have two litterboxes. She likes upstairs. He insists on
downstairs. I scoop out both boxes twice a day (morning and evening). How
often does one change the entire batch of litter and replace all of it?

Also, I am using Arm and Hammer odorless litter, which clumps nicely. Any
recommendations on something equivalent which might cost a tad less?

You're spoiling them rotten if you scoop twice a day and they don't
even have to share a box... you only need to change the litter when it
starts to get smelly and seems to have used up all it's absorption
ability. I've never used Arm and Hammer. I use the generic version of
Feline Pine which doesn't clump. Three cats, one over-sized litterbox.
I scoop the box every few days and change it completely once a week
(which is how long it takes all the pellets to break down to sawdust.
It says on the bag - if all the pellets are gone, it's time to change
it out.) I sweep around the litterbox every day (sometimes twice) and
scoop the dust back into the box where it belongs. One of our cats
thinks she's an Ancient Egyptian - she likes to build pyramids up
against the side of the box, and she doesn't stop until the litter is
on the floor.
Old October 17th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll definitely check out all the options
and ideas you gave me. THANKS!!

Jay

Old October 17th 11, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"J J Levin" wrote in message
Well, it appears that Edgar and Agatha are taking to their new home OK.
Yesterday they played catch -- running around the house, chasing each
other, tussling for a minute when they caught each other, then starting
the chase again. And now both allow head scratching.

I've noticed that they stretch out on the carpet and roll around every so
often. I assume this is normal?

Question: We have two litterboxes. She likes upstairs. He insists on
downstairs. I scoop out both boxes twice a day (morning and evening). How
often does one change the entire batch of litter and replace all of it?

Also, I am using Arm and Hammer odorless litter, which clumps nicely. Any
recommendations on something equivalent which might cost a tad less?

Thanks,

Jay

As you can see from the responses, there is great variation. I use whatever
brand of clumping litter is the cheapest at the time. I'm on the last of a
container of WholePetCare, and have a full container of Priority brand
waiting. I have one box for two cats and scoop it twice a day. When the
litter gets low, I add more. Every few weeks, I wash the box and change it
completely. I actually have an extra box, so when I take out the used one
for cleaning, I fill the spare and put it in the room they use. Then I dump
the old box into the trash, take it outside, wash it thoroughly and, if it's
sunny, leave it out in the sun to dry.

The one thing I do is make sure the litter I get is unscented. I've found
that some cats have an aversion to scented litter. If that's the only kind
available, well, I'm sure you can guess what happens. ;-)

Joy