QUESTION RE CAT NIGHT VISITS

Old November 16th 11, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

Default QUESTION RE CAT NIGHT VISITS

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:13:37 -0500, "J J Levin"
wrote:

You may have seen my post to Catnipped, detailing how we got our cats, Edgar
and Agatha. As part of my post, I posted a question, which would have been
easy to miss if you didn't not carefully read the whole megillah.

So here it is again.

The cats have been in our home for about a month now, and the mutual
affection is growing. They come to cuddle, they ask for treats, but they are
not allowed in the bedroom when we go to sleep. That's one of Mrs. Jay's
rules. They do come to visit when we go upstairs at night (they cuddle, then
they leave) and they do come in the morning when we wake up to demand a
morning treat (a couple of Temptations or Greenies thingies) and to look out
our window. (They do have windows downstairs and they can look out all day).

BUT, last night, for the first time, they sat outside our bedroom all night,
meowing very softly and scratching the door. Up until now, they stayed
downstairs, ate, slept, or did whatever cats do at night. Is this normal
behavior? Took a great deal of effort on my part not to let them in during
the night. We really don't want them climbing on us while we sleep.

You're really missing something if you've never slept with a couple of
furry purries snuggled up against your hips or on your pillow... the
companionship is worth far more than the occasional 4am disturbance.
Cats are very social creatures and they want to be where you are.

Just be warned - if you let them in the bedroom ONCE, you'll have to
do it forever.
Old November 17th 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 15, 11:13*am, "J J Levin" wrote:
[...]

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi Jay-- I suspect you'll end up letting them in eventually.

Honestly, out of our 4, only two want to sleep on the bed. Boots
sleeps down
at DH's feet, and Bosley sleeps on the far edge of the (kingsized) bed
down by
my feet. The only problem is, Boots & Bosley pretty much hate each
other, and
if *they* accidetally touch one another, there's some spitting and
hissing. Boots
sometimes gets exasprated with DH or I moving around too much and goes
another bed. But all in all, I find it very comforting to have a warm
little ball of
fur next to my feet. They really don't disturb sleep at all.

Sherry
Old November 17th 11, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

wrote:
BUT, last night, for the first time, they sat outside our bedroom all night,
meowing very softly and scratching the door. Up until now, they stayed
downstairs, ate, slept, or did whatever cats do at night. Is this normal
behavior? Took a great deal of effort on my part not to let them in during
the night. We really don't want them climbing on us while we sleep.

Awww, they're so cute. They sound like children - maybe they had a bad
dream? All the cats I've had will sleep on me to some extent.
Old November 17th 11, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:37:26 -0800 (PST), Sherry
wrote:
Hi Jay-- I suspect you'll end up letting them in eventually.

Honestly, out of our 4, only two want to sleep on the bed. Boots
sleeps down
at DH's feet, and Bosley sleeps on the far edge of the (kingsized) bed
down by
my feet. The only problem is, Boots & Bosley pretty much hate each
other, and
if *they* accidetally touch one another, there's some spitting and
hissing. Boots
sometimes gets exasprated with DH or I moving around too much and goes
another bed. But all in all, I find it very comforting to have a warm
little ball of
fur next to my feet. They really don't disturb sleep at all.

Boots's impatience is so funny. I'd be scared to have those two
sleeping with me at the same time, but if they're down by your feet, I
guess it's not that bad. Buster is a brat in that he'll sometimes
pounce on Dot's bedlump when she's sleeping under the covers with me.
Old November 17th 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:

[...]

Give up gracefully and open the door. I love having the little
furballs lying around the bed. Plus, it makes it easier to get the
appropriate amount of cat hair on my clothing.
Old November 17th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:

[...]

Haha! The funny part is, DH has bouts with Restless Leg Syndrome.
Sometimes
Boots just takes all she can stand, then she snorts, gets up, and
moves into
the extra bedroom and sleeps on grandson's Thomas The Train Bed. DH
thinks that's so darn cute he takes a picture with his phone early in
the a.m.
when he gets up and sends it
to me later that morning. I have at least a dozen pictures of Bootsie
sleeping on the Thomas bed on my phone. I don't know if DH forgets he
sends them, or if he thinks they are so insufferably cute that each
one
surpasses itself on the cuteness scale. He is totally goofy over that
cat.

Sherry
Old November 17th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M[_2_]

to me later that morning. I have at least a dozen pictures of Bootsie
sleeping on the Thomas bed on my phone. I don't know if DH forgets he
sends them, or if he thinks they are so insufferably cute that each one
surpasses itself on the cuteness scale. He is totally goofy over that
cat.

Sherry

I suspect the latter. I've never met your hubbie, but I know that I can
never have enough photos of the kitties.

Dan
Old November 17th 11, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Haha! The funny part is, DH has bouts with Restless Leg Syndrome.
Sometimes
Boots just takes all she can stand, then she snorts, gets up, and
moves into
the extra bedroom and sleeps on grandson's Thomas The Train Bed. DH
thinks that's so darn cute he takes a picture with his phone early in
the a.m.
when he gets up and sends it
to me later that morning. I have at least a dozen pictures of Bootsie
sleeping on the Thomas bed on my phone. I don't know if DH forgets he
sends them, or if he thinks they are so insufferably cute that each
one
surpasses itself on the cuteness scale. He is totally goofy over that
cat.

Aw. Gotta love a guy who's besotted with a cat.

Any hope of uploading one or two of those photos?

--
Joyce

I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey

Sam Visits TED Marina Cat anecdotes 8 August 22nd 06 03:26 AM
Sam Visits TED Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 3 August 21st 06 11:30 PM
Sam Visits TED [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 August 20th 06 09:57 PM
Sam Visits TED Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 1 August 20th 06 05:41 PM
TED visits.... Katrina Cat anecdotes 8 August 11th 05 10:58 PM