Medical OT

Old January 19th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default kindle

Sherry wrote:

The text wraps normally when you enlarge the font. I thought I
probably wouldn't
use it much at first, but I do, several times a day. Besides reading,
I can grab it
to check newsgroups, Facebook, email. Or the weather forecast. It's
just so
handy. I rarely type anything on it because the keyboard is awkward.
Another
advantage is that it's just so darn much fun for the 2 year old GS. So
many interactive books and
learning games.

Is this the iPad you're talking about, or the Kindle?

--
Joyce

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
-- Paula Poundstone
Old January 19th 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Medical OT

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

They are not allowed to, it goes back to the consultant who will tell me
about it in due course. Whenever it suits, and I wonder why I am
freaking
out because I know I won't know for ages whether I have a brain tumour
or
not? and becoming nasty on the group is the symptom of my distress.

June has been wonderful about taking care of things for you when you've
been hospitalized. Is she also someone you can talk to? Even if you don't
want to talk about the stuff you're worried about, just chatting in a
friendly way might help to distract you for a while. It's very hard to be
alone when things like this are happening.

Simon is the man for this.
It's ages since he was my counsellor, he's a friend now, but I emailed him
about my concerns, he phoned immediately to talk it over and will be coming
to see me this week.
When things were really bad in 05, he turned away from crying at my hospital
bedside so I would not see, and when I was back at home he said "I thought
I would have to counsel you about having a good death.."

Old January 19th 12, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

I haven't found this to be true of iBooks. The *do* offer the newest
releases,
and also a waiting list for the ones that aren't released yet. The
problem
comes in when you're wanting to read an older, more obscure book. Most
classics
are available, and most for free, but if you're wanting to re-read a
book you
read a long time ago that's *not* a classic, you'll have to find it
elsewhere.

That is exactly my concern.

But there's no reason one couldn't use *both* an e-reader and hardcopy
books.

Old January 19th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On 16 Jan 2012 23:08:58 GMT, wrote:

MaryL wrote:

Do you like to read? I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it. I held off
for a long time because I have always liked the feel of a book in my hands.
Well, I got a lighted cover and that gives the feel of a book. It can be
balanced on my knees or on a pillow on my lap, so it's easy to use, land the
light enables me to read in the dark if I lose power. I can keep any number
of books on it instead of carrying a stack of books around with me. One
problem with printed books in recent years is that publishers often print
right up to the margin binding, so we almost have to bend some books in half
to read. That's not a problem with Kindle. Finally, I love the fact that I
can change the size of the font--just like with a computer--so I don't have
to use reading glasses. There are *lots* of free books available from
amazon, in addition to the ones that are purchased. The classics and books
that are out of copyright are often free.

Starting a new thread here. I have some questions about the Kindle. Can you
get any book at all for the Kindle? It doesn't seem like that would be the
case, since that would mean that every book in existence has been digitized,
and I seriously doubt that. Many obscure movies never even made it to VHS
tapes, much less DVD. Is it harder to find obscure or out-of-print books to
read on the Kindle than it is to just hunt in used bookstores, or on the web?

Since there's a program called Calibre that will convert documents
including ebooks from one file format to another, yes, you can read
anything on the kindle. Just stick it into Calibre, choose the right
format and say 'convert', wait about five minutes, then you can even
tell Calibre to upload it to your kindle for you.

Second question - of the books that *have* been digitized, can all of them
be read on the Kindle? Or can you only read books that have been digitized
to a certain proprietary format for the Kindle? Are there competing devices
that use different formats, which cannot be read on the Kindle, or vice-
versa? (I really *hate* that!)

The kindle uses the kindle format. But you can also read pdfs on it.
And you can change the format with the right program (see above)

Last, does Amazon have special arrangements with different publishers, and
not with other publishers, so that you can only get the books from the ones
that have a deal with Amazon? That's how it is with online movie streaming.
You can buy an Internet-to-TV device (which allows you to watch streaming
video from the 'net on your TV), but the company that makes that device
has deals with different Internet providers of films (eg, Netflix, Hulu,
etc) so you can access whatever movies those providers offer (for a fee),
but you can't surf the web from your TV and watch any old video you come
across. Actually, there are devices that allow that, but I'm focusing my
question on the ones that don't, because I'm wondering if Amazon has the
same kind of deal, where you can only get books from the publishers they
have arrangements with. It so controlling. "If you buy our device, we will
control what you can and can't have access to."

Not a clue. But I love my kindle. I only ever put free books onto it
but there's enough to keep me occupied practically forever, especially
since Amazon constantly changes their 'free' section. They tend to put
the first book in a series for free in the hopes that you'll be hooked
and shell out the $$ for the rest. Well, they can hope...
Old January 19th 12, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message ...

Sherry wrote:

[...]

- - - - - - - -

Exactly. I can usually find what I want on Kindle (and at cheaper prices
than print copies). If it's not available, then I can pick up a "regular"
book. One does not eliminate the other, although I have found that I now
prefer Kindle to print copy. That is not what I expected when I first
started.

MaryL

Old January 19th 12, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:04:11 -0800, "Joy" wrote:

I think a Kindle would be wonderful for traveling! My travel budget has run
out, but when I was traveling, I would buy used paperbacks and take a stack
with me. Then, as I finished one, I'd leave it in the hotel room, the
pocket on the back of the airline seat, or wherever I was when I finished
it. That way, somebody else could enjoy it, and I didn't have to carry it
around any more.

Joy

That's what I used to do too... I'd leave a trail of used books behind
me as I went because I almost never reread a book unless it's 5 or 10
years since I last read it. I don't have the shelf space to store
books after I'm done with them, or the budget to buy them new. Anyway,
I love my kindle because it's removed bulky books from the equation,
and I never have to worry about being stuck someplace without reading
material ever again. I still keep a paperback and a bible in the car
just in case, but I usually have my kindle with me.
Old January 19th 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Quite by coincidence, a friend just sent me this picture a few minutes
ago. I haven't told her about this discussion.

http://www.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/...i_love_nyc.jpg

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old January 19th 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 19, 2:43*pm, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

* The text wraps normally when you enlarge the font. I thought I
* probably wouldn't
* use it much at first, but I do, several times a day. Besides reading,
* I can grab it
* to check newsgroups, Facebook, email. Or the weather forecast. It's
* just so
* handy. I rarely type anything on it because the keyboard is awkward.
* Another
* advantage is that it's just so darn much fun for the 2 year old GS. So
* many interactive books and
* learning games.

Is this the iPad you're talking about, or the Kindle?

--
Joyce

The iPad. I was answering the question you asked in an earlier
post. :-)

Sherry

Sherry wrote:

DH bought an iPad for me once when I was in the hospital. I was
very chagrined about it, (I would never have spent the money for

it)
But I have to say I have really, really, enjoyed it. A favorite
feature
is the iBooks. The screen is large, the font is adjustable

When you enlarge the font, does the text redo the line breaks so it
looks normal in the larger font? On some websites, if you make the
text larger, it looks messy because the lines break in new places,
but the old line breaks are still there. That would interfere with
my reading pleasure.
Old January 19th 12, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 19, 2:47*pm, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

* I haven't found this to be true of iBooks. The *do* offer the newest
* releases,
* and also a waiting list for the ones that aren't released yet. The
* problem
* comes in when you're wanting to read an older, more obscure book. Most
* classics
* are available, and most for free, but if you're wanting to re-read a
* book you
* read a long time ago that's *not* a classic, you'll have to find it
* elsewhere.

That is exactly my concern.

But there's no reason one couldn't use *both* an e-reader and hardcopy
books.

--
Joyce

Right. I rarely ever buy new books, but I *do* buy used from Amazon or
e-bay.
Like MaryL said, I really never thought I'd ever be so crazy about
e-readers. Personally, I think it's mostly because my vision just
isn't
as good as it once was.

Sherry
Old January 19th 12, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

I haven't found this to be true of iBooks. The *do* offer the newest
releases,
and also a waiting list for the ones that aren't released yet. The
problem
comes in when you're wanting to read an older, more obscure book. Most
classics
are available, and most for free, but if you're wanting to re-read a
book you
read a long time ago that's *not* a classic, you'll have to find it
elsewhere.

That is exactly my concern.

But there's no reason one couldn't use *both* an e-reader and hardcopy
books.

--
Joyce

Right. I intend to keep my 1,000 or so books, and to continue visiting the
library. However, there are times when an e-reader would be a great
advantage, and I'd love to have one.

Joy