QUESTION RE CAT NIGHT VISITS

Old November 15th 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

Default QUESTION RE CAT NIGHT VISITS

You may have seen my post to Catnipped, detailing how we got our cats, Edgar
and Agatha. As part of my post, I posted a question, which would have been
easy to miss if you didn't not carefully read the whole megillah.

So here it is again.

The cats have been in our home for about a month now, and the mutual
affection is growing. They come to cuddle, they ask for treats, but they are
not allowed in the bedroom when we go to sleep. That's one of Mrs. Jay's
rules. They do come to visit when we go upstairs at night (they cuddle, then
they leave) and they do come in the morning when we wake up to demand a
morning treat (a couple of Temptations or Greenies thingies) and to look out
our window. (They do have windows downstairs and they can look out all day).

BUT, last night, for the first time, they sat outside our bedroom all night,
meowing very softly and scratching the door. Up until now, they stayed
downstairs, ate, slept, or did whatever cats do at night. Is this normal
behavior? Took a great deal of effort on my part not to let them in during
the night. We really don't want them climbing on us while we sleep.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

Old November 15th 11, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 11/15/2011 11:13 AM, J J Levin wrote:
[...]

I've never had a problem with cats crawling on me (besides little
kittens killing 'bed mice" moving under the sheets). Cats are communal
sleepers, they like to sleep cuddled close with the rest of their
family. Now that they're considering you the rest of their family they
just want the extra warmth and affection. I have the opposite problem -
*I* move around too much for *them*. The one that sleeps on my butt is
constantly sighing in resignation. ; Seriously, most of them just
sleep next to you, not on you.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old November 15th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Be a lot easier if they were like dogs, and slept in a little bed next to
yours. But people who have dogs (my son, for one) tell me that dogs, too,
soon abandon their little beds and come to sleep in your big bed, with you.
Sigh.

Jay

Old November 15th 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 15, 12:13*pm, "J J Levin" wrote:
[...]

My RB cat Rusty always wanted to come into my bedroom. I think he
just
wanted to be near me. I remember when I took a nap in bed with the
bedroom door
closed, he would bang on the door. Then I came out and napped on the
living
room couch instead, Rusty would just sat and dozed off in a chair near
by.
Sometimes he would come and sit on me on the couch, but never for
long.
It was like he just wanted to keep me in sight.
At night he slept in his own room with the door closed. If I slept in
my bedroom
with the door closed I would be awakened in the middle of the night
with a
loud bang on the door.
Old November 15th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

J J Levin wrote:

BUT, last night, for the first time, they sat outside our bedroom all night,
meowing very softly and scratching the door. Up until now, they stayed
downstairs, ate, slept, or did whatever cats do at night. Is this normal
behavior?

Not sure where you live, but if the nights are getting colder (even if
they are indoors) that's most likely why.

Took a great deal of effort on my part not to let them in during
the night. We really don't want them climbing on us while we sleep.

Why not? there's nothing pleasanter than having a nice, warm cat
"blanket" on a cold night. It may take them a few minutes to get
settled, but mine certainly don't do much "climbing". (Once I get
settled down to sleep, so do they - and once asleep, they don't move
around as much as I do.)
Old November 15th 11, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 15, 9:13*am, "J J Levin" wrote:
Took a great deal of effort on my part not to let them in during
the night. *We really don't want them climbing on us while we sleep.

Don't make a big thing about it- our bedroom door is always open when
we go to bed I leave it up to the cats- Sarsi will walk over both of
us and sometimes settle down on top of one of us/between us purring
madly and Bonnie sometimes gets on the bed for a late night skritchie
but on the whole assoon as they consider the slaves are safe in bed/
do I REALLY want to sleep on top of a wriggling Hoomin? and sneak off
to the living room for a long sleep..as my partners disability means I
sometimes have to get up in the wee small hours I usually find Sarsi
crashed out on top of the sofa and Bonnie on the chair sound asleep

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 15th 11, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

J J Levin wrote:

BUT, last night, for the first time, they sat outside our bedroom all night,
meowing very softly and scratching the door. Up until now, they stayed
downstairs, ate, slept, or did whatever cats do at night. Is this normal
behavior?

Not sure where you live, but if the nights are getting colder (even if
they are indoors) that's most likely why.

Took a great deal of effort on my part not to let them in during
the night. We really don't want them climbing on us while we sleep.

Why not? there's nothing pleasanter than having a nice, warm cat
"blanket" on a cold night. It may take them a few minutes to get
settled, but mine certainly don't do much "climbing". (Once I get
settled down to sleep, so do they - and once asleep, they don't move
around as much as I do.)

I feel mixed about this. On one hand, you're right - having cats sleep
on the bed with me is very comforting. I usually allow them to come and
go from the bedroom as they see fit. Licky almost always spends the entire
night on my bed and Roxy is a frequent visitor.

But the truth is, I never get as good a night's sleep with them than I
do without them. If I'm especially tired, or I need to get up early the
next day, I will shut them out of the bedroom. Another problem is that,
as sweet as it is to have Roxy sleep on me, it usually gives me a backache,
and sometimes I need a break from that. They're both very good kitties
and they don't yowl or bang on the door to be allowed in.

--
Joyce

Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating -- Sarah McLaughlin
Old November 15th 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:
How are Emma and Giovanni?

Emma still is a rather low-key kitty after 11 months. She growls whenever any
of the others get near. Otherwise, quite pleasant. Unfortunately, she eats
very slowly, and being almost impossible to pill it means that we have to mix
the blood pressure medicine and, now, steroids into her food. If she walks
away, Niobe will soon be wolfing down her food.

Giovanni has come in every night for over five weeks, which is a remarkable
stretch. He's actually getting somewhat friendlier, and once in a great while
I can get a soft purr out of him. Unfortunately, he'll still spray all over
the house with somewhat less frequency than before. He even sleeps on the bed
once in a while, which is quite an improvement over his total aloofness of the
past.

Niobe continues to be a holy terror. The cat has far too much energy for her
own good, but is the only one who will play with Giovanni - who is quite
confused but doesn't mind her. Two nights ago I had the extension ladder up
against the peak of my cathedral ceiling, which my housekeeper is painting,
and up she scampered, happily sitting on the top rung 16 feet up. A couple
weeks back she was doing acrobatics on top of my ten-foot stepladder, swinging
from the top by one paw and going around the paint tray shelf like an acrobat.
Here she is up there during a brief rest:

http://www.ocrebels.com/NiobeOnLadderResized.jpg

Art

Sam Visits TED Marina Cat anecdotes 8 August 22nd 06 03:26 AM
Sam Visits TED Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 3 August 21st 06 11:30 PM
Sam Visits TED [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 August 20th 06 09:57 PM
Sam Visits TED Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 1 August 20th 06 05:41 PM
TED visits.... Katrina Cat anecdotes 8 August 11th 05 10:58 PM