Steroids and appetite

Old August 12th 05, 06:46 AM
Kitkat

Default Steroids and appetite

Dudley is back on the 'roids to help his asthma/wheezing. That stuff
kicks in FAST! But, he seems to be starved out of his mind, now. They
aren't kidding when they warn of an increased appetite.

Do any of you know if this is a side effect that will taper off? Perhaps
we can start lowering the dose sooner, since it seems to have helped the
wheezing quickly? Would that help? He's already a little pudgy so I
dont want him to get seriously overweight. He has enough health
problems! By the same token, I don't want him to feel hungry. Today he
stayed in the vicinity of the kitchen almost all day and night. He
wanted FOOD, FOOD, and MORE FOOD! I felt terrible for him!

His hunger/preocupation with eating seems to have caused more frequent
sqeak noises though, so at least we've got that going for us! I love the
squeak!!

Thanks for any insight,
Pam
Old August 12th 05, 07:32 AM
-L.

Kitkat wrote:
Dudley is back on the 'roids to help his asthma/wheezing. That stuff
kicks in FAST! But, he seems to be starved out of his mind, now. They
aren't kidding when they warn of an increased appetite.

Do any of you know if this is a side effect that will taper off?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. All individual responses.

Perhaps
we can start lowering the dose sooner, since it seems to have helped the
wheezing quickly?

I wouldn't. You really need to break the cycle of inflammation and the
only good way to do that is to stay on the Pred for a few days -
whatever your vet prescribed.

Would that help? He's already a little pudgy so I
dont want him to get seriously overweight.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - even if he is on Pred for 10 days,
he isn't likely to gain *that* much weight. I would focus on
high-quality canned foods high in protein and keep him away from the
carby chow if you can, though. Protein will make him feel more
satiated.

He has enough health
problems! By the same token, I don't want him to feel hungry. Today he
stayed in the vicinity of the kitchen almost all day and night. He
wanted FOOD, FOOD, and MORE FOOD! I felt terrible for him!

I can relate! It screws up the metabolism too, and can be a bear to
deal with.

His hunger/preocupation with eating seems to have caused more frequent
sqeak noises though, so at least we've got that going for us! I love the
squeak!!

Thanks for any insight,
Pam

Good luck,
-L.

Old August 12th 05, 07:41 AM
Kitkat

-L. wrote:

Do any of you know if this is a side effect that will taper off?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. All individual responses.

Fair enough. A YMMV kind of thing...at least that leaves the possibility
of it tapering off!

Perhaps
we can start lowering the dose sooner, since it seems to have helped the
wheezing quickly?

I wouldn't. You really need to break the cycle of inflammation and the
only good way to do that is to stay on the Pred for a few days -
whatever your vet prescribed.

Today was day 3. I am going to call the vet tomorrow just to chat with
her and see what she says. She did indicate that we would play with the
dosage according to how he responds, etc. I wont lower the dose without
her approval though.

Would that help? He's already a little pudgy so I
dont want him to get seriously overweight.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - even if he is on Pred for 10 days,
he isn't likely to gain *that* much weight. I would focus on
high-quality canned foods high in protein and keep him away from the
carby chow if you can, though. Protein will make him feel more
satiated.

He is on a prescription diet for pancreatitis. He eats the Eukanuba Low
Residue diet...supplemented with fresh chicken that we cook for him. (We
sprinkle some on top of the goosh food, usually, to stimulate his
appetite. Perhaps, I can lessen the amt. of chicken treats he is
getting, since his appetite seems to be plenty stimulated. He was on the
pred when he got pancreatitis, and besides helping him with that, I
noticed how much it helped his wheezing. And it does keep him eating
more consistently. So, perhaps that is another good thing. Having him on
steroids bugs me altogether, but in this case, the benefit is worth it.

He has enough health
problems! By the same token, I don't want him to feel hungry. Today he
stayed in the vicinity of the kitchen almost all day and night. He
wanted FOOD, FOOD, and MORE FOOD! I felt terrible for him!

I can relate! It screws up the metabolism too, and can be a bear to
deal with.

Ugh. It doesnt help that I have another cat who is only 6.25 pounds with
a metabolism that most of us would kill for. I have not yet been able
to convert her to a wet diet, so she gets grazing privileges...and
Dudley wants to eat her food, too. I have to put the food up on the
window ledge for Luna since she can see it and jump up to get it. Dudley
doesnt know it's there. You can tell he smells something, but he cant
find it. LOL

Thanks for your input, Lyn.
Pam
Old August 13th 05, 03:54 AM
Spot

I would ask the vet about low calorie food while he's this ravenous. I'm
sure he thinks you are starving him to death.........LOL Heck mine think
I'm starving them if I don't drop everything I'm doing the second I come
home and feed them..

Celeste
. ..

Old August 13th 05, 04:25 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 12 Aug 2005 01:46:12a, Kitkat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

[...]

I've had two cats on steroids (different ones) for different
reasons. I think they are a wonder drug that comes with a price,
but if it helps in the short term for most, and even long term for
others, is worth it. After a lot of thought over this, quality of
life is (to me) more important than quantity of life.

Since steroids seem to be prescribed for some type of auto-immune
issue (allergy, inflammation) the goal would be to elliminate the
source of the allergy/inflammation if possible. In the interrum,
steroids can provide so much relief. Shadow was on prednisone for
inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and Shamrock has (lessening) Depo
Medrol shots for inhalent allergies that cause his skin to itch to
the point that he pulls out fur and bite himself until he bleeds
and gets infected.

The oral prednisone for Shadow did increase his appetite. But the
injectable Depo Medrol doesn't cause Shamrock to eat more. Maybe
it's just because their individual systems don't respond the same.
Shadow on the oral steroids never had a lessening of his appetite
before he went to the bridge. He was always a fat cat except for
the period of time when he had hepatic lipidosis.

--
Cheryl
/misses Shadow

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 13th 05, 06:14 AM
Kitkat

Cheryl wrote:

I've had two cats on steroids (different ones) for different
reasons. I think they are a wonder drug that comes with a price,
but if it helps in the short term for most, and even long term for
others, is worth it. After a lot of thought over this, quality of
life is (to me) more important than quantity of life.

I completely agree. DH and I were discussing just this. He is worried
about him being on the steroids, but I said I would rather have him
around feeling content and comfortable, but for less time, than to let
him be wheezy and uncomfortable for longer. He is an old kitty with lots
of health issues and all I want is for him to feel happy and loved.

Of course, I don't want him to feel starved to death either!

Since steroids seem to be prescribed for some type of auto-immune
issue (allergy, inflammation) the goal would be to elliminate the
source of the allergy/inflammation if possible.

Dudley came to us with this wheezing/asthma type condition. We don't
know much about it or what is causing it.

In the interrum,
steroids can provide so much relief. Shadow was on prednisone for
inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and Shamrock has (lessening) Depo
Medrol shots for inhalent allergies that cause his skin to itch to
the point that he pulls out fur and bite himself until he bleeds
and gets infected.

My Luna had some of the Depo shots as a younger kitty for pulling out
the fur on her chest. She more or less outgrew the behavior so she hasnt
had a shot in many years. Sometimes she still tugs at her fur, but no
more bald patches.

The oral prednisone for Shadow did increase his appetite. But the
injectable Depo Medrol doesn't cause Shamrock to eat more. Maybe
it's just because their individual systems don't respond the same.
Shadow on the oral steroids never had a lessening of his appetite
before he went to the bridge. He was always a fat cat except for
the period of time when he had hepatic lipidosis.

I spoke to the vet today. She suggested lowering his dose now since the
wheezing has stopped. Starting in the morning, I am only going to give
him a half a pill a day and see how that goes. Unfortunately, DH and I
are going on vacation from tomorrow until Thursday, but luckily, I have
a former student that is my pet sitter. She will be staying here the
whole week so I can get frequent reports about how he is doing.

When I spoke to the vet, I also asked about the Depo shots, but she
explained to me why she is not a big fan of them unless a cat is
incredibly difficult to medicate. (Dudley is super easy to pill) Her
feelings is that once the meds are injected, since they are long acting,
it is 4-6 weeks or more that the stuff is inside kitty's body and if
there are side effects, there is not much you can do about it except
wait it out. She prefers to try to control the problem with the oral
meds. I don't have any issue with doing the oral meds, I just dont want
Dudley to feel miserable and hungry all the time. He did seem a little
less frantic about food today. Maybe tomorrow with just 1/2 a pill,
it'll ease up even more.

Pam
Old August 14th 05, 03:07 AM
Cheryl

On Sat 13 Aug 2005 01:14:24a, Kitkat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

When I spoke to the vet, I also asked about the Depo shots, but
she explained to me why she is not a big fan of them unless a
cat is incredibly difficult to medicate. (Dudley is super easy
to pill) Her feelings is that once the meds are injected, since
they are long acting, it is 4-6 weeks or more that the stuff is
inside kitty's body and if there are side effects, there is not
much you can do about it except wait it out.

I totally agree. That's why I took Shamrock to a vet dermatologist
- I was getting scared of all of the steroid shots, and he wasn't
outgrowing the allergies. Luckily he never had any bad reactions.
My initial thoughts were that at some point he would outgrow the
allergies, since he was young when we found each other, and he
showed up with bad skin. It got worse over time. I would never
withold steroid shots while the cause wasn't found. He was
miserable. His first vet refused to give him any more shots even
when the cause wasn't found. I found a new vet.

She prefers to try
to control the problem with the oral meds.

Shamrock's dermatologist decided it was worth trying allergy shots.
He's been on them since the end of May. He had a Depo shot May 9th,
and one at the end of June. Now mid-August, he's close to when he'd
need another shot. No sign of any discomfort yet.

--
Cheryl