Keeping two kitties vs. one....

Old September 4th 03, 03:40 PM
MaryL

Default Keeping two kitties vs. one....

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
My wife and I recued two orphaned kitties in our garage. Their
mother apparently abandoned them and others of the litter. We found
out from our neighbors that others of the litter have been placed with
other households by the mother. We all speculate that she decided
that no one family would take the entire litter so she decided to
spread them out.

We have nursed them along since they were about several days old.
They are now about 5 weeks old and doing very well. We are new pet
owners and are learning as we go along. They have been both fun and
a challenge. As we look into the long term, we would like to keep
one or both of them. However, we would like to hear the pros and
cons of keeping two kittens. One is male the other is female. We
will have them spayed and neutered at the appropriate age.

Please provide your comments.

Al Kondo

Keep them both! They will be good companions to each other and a source of
joy to you. Somepeople on this newsgroup have even said that there it is
likely that there will be less "mischief" with two because they will play
with each other.

MaryL

Old September 4th 03, 04:05 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

We have nursed them along since they were about several days old.
They are now about 5 weeks old and doing very well. We are new pet
owners and are learning as we go along. They have been both fun and
a challenge. As we look into the long term, we would like to keep
one or both of them. However, we would like to hear the pros and
cons of keeping two kittens. One is male the other is female. We
will have them spayed and neutered at the appropriate age.

It is always better to keep more than one cat if you have the ability to
do so. Littermates are the best of the best, as they almost always get
along very well, especially if you neuter them before they are sexually
mature (by the age of 4-6 months or so).

Having two means they won't be lonely when you are at work or away from
home for another reason. It also means they have each other to play
rough with, so you don't have as much problems with biting or scratching
during play as they go into adolescence. They have each other to play
with, so you don't have to play entertainer quite so often, either.
Don't forget to provide them with stuff to play with, like a nice cat
tree and some toys.

I've had single and multiple cats, and I have to say, I'd never keep one
alone again unless I HAD to for some odd reason. The single ones depend
on you so much, for attention, play, affection, etc. When you have two
or more, they get that from you and from each other, so when you're
busy, you don't have to feel so guilty. *g*

Congrats on the kitties.

~kaeli~
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading
my hard disk?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old September 4th 03, 04:05 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old September 4th 03, 04:19 PM
MaryL

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...

[...]

Excellent post, Kaeli!

MaryL

Old September 4th 03, 04:19 PM
MaryL

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old September 4th 03, 06:40 PM
Gail

I would vote for keeping both of them. They will be good company for each
other. The downside is that you have veterinary bills for both and will need
two litter boxes, which must be kept clean. I think the extra food is
negligible.
gAil