oh no, my cat ate string! (long)

Old May 17th 04, 07:23 PM
tonks

Default oh no, my cat ate string! (long)

Hi group, Frequent reader, infrequent poster here.

I need some advice, and hopefully some encouraging words that my boy
will be ok. Let me say first that I've already spoken to my vet this
morning about this, and it's basically a wait and see situation.

Anyway, here's what happened

This morning, about 4 hours ago, one of my cats was playing with some
loose threads hanging from a cotton throw i have on a chair. He was
getting this feet caught up in a particularly long hanging thread, so
I cut it off (about 20-24 inches) and then waved it around on the
floor for him to play with, which he did. Then he grabbed it and ran
under a chair where he started to chew it. He likes to chew stuff, so
I didn't think anything of it until I realized that he was eating it.
So I tried to go to him and get it, but that just made him run under
the sofa, where he evaded me trying to get him from wither side. Ended
up he ate the dang string! It is all cotton and thin, more like a
think yarn than a string or cord.

After he did it, I got to thinkiing that I'd heard about not letting
cats have string and rubber bands, but I thought it was b/c of choking
hazard Then I got online and read about all the terrible things that
can happen when a cat ingests string. I freaked out! So within an
hour I went ot my vet (a minute's drive in the neighborhood) with a
piece of the string to show her and explained what happened. She said
we have 2 options: surgery immediately to remove the string or wait it
out and watch him very closely and hope he poops it out. I'm doing the
latter, of course. She says to watch for vomiting or refusing food and
being lethargic or acting ill. (Also watch for him hiding from me, but
he does that anyway. )

Doc said if there's going to be a problem with the string causing a
blockage or getting caught up in his insides, he'd probably start to
show signs of distress about 12 hours after eating the string, which
will be tonight. If he does, I need to bring him in first thing in the
morning for surgery. Best case is that he will just poop the string
out, i guess in a day or two. And if he doesn't poop it out but is
acting and eating fine, chances are the string dissolved in his system
(since it's not nylon, dental floss, etc.), she says.

I asked the vet if Laxatone would be a good idea, and she said it
wouldn't hurt and may help him pass whatever's in there. But he a shy,
skittish cat who won't let you near him if he suspects anything's up,
which he does now, so he hasn't let me near enough yet to put some
Laxatone on his paw or nose to even try that.

I feel so stupid and guilty about giving him the string in the first
place, and then not realizing the danger here until it was too late to
stop it.

Does anyone know what the chances are that he'll be ok and just poop
it out? Is it more likely that that will happen versus the drastic
step of him getting his insides damaged and needing surgery? Google is
full of stories of the cat needing surgery or dying from this, but i
hope that's the exception rather than the rule!

many thanks for any advice,
mary
Old May 17th 04, 08:13 PM
kaeli

In article , mw*678
@sprynet.com enlightened us with...

Does anyone know what the chances are that he'll be ok and just poop
it out? Is it more likely that that will happen versus the drastic
step of him getting his insides damaged and needing surgery? Google is
full of stories of the cat needing surgery or dying from this, but i
hope that's the exception rather than the rule!

Poor kitty!
I'm glad you took him to the vet, as that's always the first suggestion.
That said, I had a cat eat a piece of string a LONG time ago and it came
out okay. It was a shoelace, actually. I've seen a couple other stories
posted here where it came out all right, too.
Do keep an eye on him and if there's no BM in the next 24-36 hours,
assume it's blocked. Cats often don't show pain. The vet should be able
to tell with an x-ray, depending on the size and fabric of the string.

As to "helping" it pass, try a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil (olive
oil is best, IMO) in the water. If he eats wet food, you should be able
to sneak a teaspoon of Laxatone in the food at each feeding.

My one cat loves the Laxatone and considers it a treat. Try behaving as
though you've got some major yummies for him. He might just like the
stuff.

Good luck and purrs to the little furman.

~kaeli~
If that phone was up your a$$, maybe you could drive a
little better!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old May 17th 04, 09:17 PM
PawsForThought

From: tonks

Does anyone know what the chances are that he'll be ok and just poop
it out? Is it more likely that that will happen versus the drastic
step of him getting his insides damaged and needing surgery?

I know you're very worried right now. But try to be calm. My cat Mickey ate a
5 inch leather string that had fur on it (from one of those furry mice toys).
He got bad diarrhea but then it passed and he was fine. I do admit to being a
total wreck though. Just really keep an eye on your cat. Remember, if he
starts pooping out the string, do not, whatever you do, do not pull on the
string. Take him to your vet immediately.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Lauren
________
Old May 17th 04, 09:17 PM
PawsForThought

Old May 17th 04, 09:39 PM
tonks

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:13:52 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article , mw*678
enlightened us with...

--

Thanks, Hugh and kaeli. I just got through examining his first poop
since this happened. I kept telling myself they were really Godiva

I also got him to eat 1/2 tsp of Laxatone mixed with a spoonful of his
wet food about an hour ago, so i got that done.

The waiting is agonizing, but I've calmed down a bit since this
morning when I was expecting the absolute worst. I'm going to watch
him and his poop like a hawk for the next three days, and hope it's
just 'passin through'.

mary

Old May 17th 04, 09:39 PM
tonks

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:13:52 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article , mw*678
enlightened us with...

Old May 17th 04, 09:48 PM
tonks

On 17 May 2004 20:17:52 GMT, olitter (PawsForThought)

From: tonks

Does anyone know what the chances are that he'll be ok and just poop
it out? Is it more likely that that will happen versus the drastic
step of him getting his insides damaged and needing surgery?

I know you're very worried right now. But try to be calm. My cat Mickey ate a
5 inch leather string that had fur on it (from one of those furry mice toys).
He got bad diarrhea but then it passed and he was fine. I do admit to being a
total wreck though. Just really keep an eye on your cat. Remember, if he
starts pooping out the string, do not, whatever you do, do not pull on the
string. Take him to your vet immediately.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Lauren

Right, I know from my reading this morning not to pull it out. If it
turns out that he's got some hanging out, I will do nothing but try to
trim it and then call the vet for advice. If it were either of my
other two cats, i'd be able to scoop him up and bring him in, but he
is a holy terror when you try to pick him up, let alone put him in a
carrier. (He showed up as a stray and he's still a tad wild, in that
way, to the point where the next time i need to bring him in to the
vet for shots, I'm going to ask for a little sedative to give him
ahead of time. That's why I'm hoping this will resolve itself via
pooping at home! )

Yes, I know those leather 'tails' on those furry mice. My boy looooves
those mice, and he will get on his back and hold the mouse in his paws
like a baby holding a baby bottle and suck on/chew the tail. In fact,
that's why I didn't get alarmed this morning when he was chewing this
string, cuz i thought he'd basically just chew and suck, not chow the
thing down like he did.

mary
Old May 17th 04, 09:48 PM
tonks

Old May 17th 04, 10:48 PM
Annie Wxill

"tonks" wrote in message
Does anyone know what the chances are that he'll be ok and just poop
it out? Is it more likely that that will happen versus the drastic
step of him getting his insides damaged and needing surgery? ...
mary

Hi Mary,
Sorry I can't give you the odds, but it sounds like you know what to do now.
We'll send some good vibrations your way in hopes that everything turns out
to be O.K. for your cat.
Annie, servant to Cinder and Rosie