Cat restless with apparent discomfort & clear vaginal discharge

Old November 25th 04, 11:30 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message

Ok, now I feel like an idiot. Maybe this is why she seems to
particularly like it right now when I scratch her flanks, and why she
sticks her rear end up in the air while scratching there also. This is
something I hadn't read up on as I didn't expect it to come up. I think
the first thing I'll do tomorrow (everythings closed for Thanksgiving
now) is find some good books. When I got my ferrets, I did all kinds of
research: books, magazines, newsgroups. But I didn't really read up on
cats when I got my Tonk. I guess I was thinking things would be a little
common sense & obvious.

Meanwhile, is there any online reference or can anyone give me any
pointers. Is there anything I should or should not do? She's an indoor
cat and will obviously be remaining indoors for the moment. How long
does it last? I was planning on getting her spayed within the next two
weeks, do I have to wait. With ferrets it's a bit more dangerous when
they're in heat. I've even read that it can be life threatening unless
they couple or are "treated", but I don't seem to recall hearing such
things about cats.

No, not life-threatening if she's not spayed immediately, but keeping to the
idea of having her done w/in the next couple of weeks is a good idea. It's
better if she's out of heat when the spay is done, but not mandatory.
She'll probably be out of heat by the time the appt. rolls around - unless
she goes right into another heat - which does sometimes happen.

Cathy

Old November 26th 04, 12:58 AM
Mary

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message
MacCandace wrote:
That was actually the first thought that popped into my mind too.

Just the
right age as well.

Me, too. I don't know about the eye thing but constantly rolling around

and
trying to reposition herself and the clear discharge are signs of heat.

Is she
meowing a lot, too?

Ok, now I feel like an idiot. Maybe this is why she seems to
particularly like it right now when I scratch her flanks, and why she
sticks her rear end up in the air while scratching there also.

See, I told you it was serious. If you allow an intact male cat near
this cat, it might result in KITTENS!

Don't feel stupid.

Old November 26th 04, 01:00 AM
Mary

"Randy W. Sims" wrote

With ferrets it's a bit more dangerous when
they're in heat. I've even read that it can be life threatening unless
they couple or are "treated

I thought that was just something the boy ferrets told the
girl ferrets.

Old November 26th 04, 06:08 AM

Karen wrote:
Mostly, just be patient with her and get
her fixed as soon as is convenient. They
will not want to do it when she is in heat,
so you need to catch her off cycle.

I disagree. Taking this approach could mean weeks of waiting, and no vet
that is worth their salt is going to tell a client to wait until the cat
is between heats. Cats can be safely spayed while in heat and it's done
all the time. The idea that it is somehow dangerous to do so is a myth.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 26th 04, 06:12 AM
Phil P.

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message
I have a Tonkinese kitten of about ~6 months. She was fine yesterday,
but I noticed this morning (4am Eastern Time) that she seems to have
some abdominal discomfort from the way she keeps rolling around and
trying to reposition herself constantly. There also appears to be a
minute discharge of clear liquid/gel-like substance from the vagina.

I'm still new to cats and don't know what might be going on. After I
send this I plan to do some googling, and if nothing else calling an
animal hospital within the next hour.

If anyone is online with ideas, I would be gratefull. Even suggestions
of a good cat vet in Atlanta, GA that would be open.

You're cat probably is in heat, but an exam wouldn't hurt - to be on the
safe side.

Females can go into heat by as early as 4 months. If I were you, I'd
schedule an appointment to have her neutered as soon as possible.

Phil

Old November 26th 04, 03:30 PM
Sherry

It can try your patience, because they can be very vocal,
incredibly obnoxiously needy and some may even urinate in a "marking" manner
(not a problem I encountered but it can happen.)

"Obnoxiously needy" is an excellent description of my experience with a cat in
heat. Biskit also peed everywhere, which also stopped abruptly when she got
spayed.

Sherry

Sherry
Old November 26th 04, 07:26 PM
MacCandace

Cats can be safely spayed while in heat and it's done
all the time. The idea that it is somehow dangerous to do so is a myth.

My first cat, Emily, who I found with her litter of kittens, was spayed while
she was in heat. It cost $5 extra but big deal.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)
Old November 26th 04, 11:45 PM
Dennis Carr

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 04:46:38 -0500, Randy W. Sims wrote:

I have a Tonkinese kitten of about ~6 months. She was fine yesterday,
but I noticed this morning (4am Eastern Time) that she seems to have
some abdominal discomfort from the way she keeps rolling around and
trying to reposition herself constantly. There also appears to be a
minute discharge of clear liquid/gel-like substance from the vagina.

Sounds like she's in heat, but no way of knowing without seeing her. A
vet visit is in order. Get her fixed once she gets through.

--
Dennis Carr - KE6ISF | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.
Old November 27th 04, 12:47 AM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Randy W. Sims" wrote

With ferrets it's a bit more dangerous when
they're in heat. I've even read that it can be life threatening

unless
they couple or are "treated

I thought that was just something the boy ferrets told the
girl ferrets.

LOL
Alison

Old November 27th 04, 01:06 AM
Randy W. Sims

Alison wrote:
"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Randy W. Sims" wrote

With ferrets it's a bit more dangerous when
they're in heat. I've even read that it can be life threatening

unless

they couple or are "treated

I thought that was just something the boy ferrets told the
girl ferrets.

LOL

Hmm, I wonder who's taking leasons from whom...

Randy.