OT Fats Domino found (kind 0f)

Old September 2nd 05, 02:42 AM
Karen

Default OT Fats Domino found (kind 0f)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Musi...ino/index.html

Old September 2nd 05, 09:50 PM
Gabey8

Thank God!

For that matter, thank God for EVERY missing person who is found to be
alive, regardless of whether they're famous or not. Though I'm certainly
to see this good news come out about a person whose work I admire
greatly.

I can't look at the stories about New Orleans and the entire Gulf region
without thinking of Stephen King's novel _The Stand_. ( It's
heartwrenching. Every bit of good news from there is very welcome.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old September 3rd 05, 08:35 PM
jmcquown

Gabey8 wrote:
Thank God!

For that matter, thank God for EVERY missing person who is found to be
alive, regardless of whether they're famous or not. Though I'm
certainly to see this good news come out about a person whose work I
admire greatly.

I can't look at the stories about New Orleans and the entire Gulf
region without thinking of Stephen King's novel _The Stand_. ( It's
heartwrenching. Every bit of good news from there is very welcome.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Know what I thought of after reading 'The Stand' in the 1970's? The
discovery of AIDS in the 1980's. It was almost like he foretold the future
with his Captain Trips analogy and people getting sick with flu-like
symptoms all over the place.

Back on this topic (anyway), bubonic plague is a real threat what with dead
bodies, floating water, rats and and all that. In TN they are asking for
donations of rubber surgical gloves for the National Guard troops who are
deployed down there dealing with the ones who didn't make it.

Jill

Old September 4th 05, 12:01 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

Gabey8 wrote:
[...]

Plague is simply not a risk in that area; I'll give reasons below but I
try to stop rumors that can lead to panic.

In TN they are asking for
donations of rubber surgical gloves for the National Guard troops who are
deployed down there dealing with the ones who didn't make it.

Again, the CDC recommendations to rescuers do not even consider plague an
issue:

- Interim Immunization Recommendations for Emergency Responders:
Hurricane Katrina

Required immunizations:

1. Tetanus and diphtheria toxoid (receipt of primary series, and Td
booster within 10 years)
2. Hepatitis B vaccine series for persons who will be performing direct
patient care or otherwise expected to have contact with bodily fluids

There is no indication for the following vaccines given the anticipated
conditions in the region:
1. Hepatitis A

2. Typhoid vaccine

3. Cholera vaccine

4. Meningococcal vaccine

5. Rabies vaccine

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/hurr...onderimmun.asp

Plague is caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, and is principally
transmitted by flea bite. For general information, see
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/plague/qa.htm. If you look at that
page, you'll see that plague occurs in the US in the Southwest, no
farther east than the West Texas border.

To cause an epidemic, a significant number of people in the population
have to be infected. There is no reason to believe that there's any
incidence of plague in the Gulf Coast.

The most dangerous form of plague, pneumonic, cannot be acquired from a
dead body because, other than if used as a biological weapon, must be
exhaled and then inhaled.

As you can see, there is a concern about Hepatitis B. Emergency medical
personnel should already be immunized against it, but less so for
general rescuers since it's primarily spread by blood exposure.

While it's unpleasant, dead bodies generally do not produce nearly as
much of an infection risk as fecal contamination. The situation in the
Superdome, where the toilets completely failed, is hazardous.