Molly's First Sub Q injection

Old August 18th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Default Molly's First Sub Q injection

I just gave Molly 200 cc Ringers Lactate subq--this was my first time and I
was quite nervous. She handled it like a trooper--ate treats and sat there
very quietly until I was done, licked my fingers a couple of times and then
jumped off my lap like nothing had happened. The only glitch was that I
backed out the needle once and a little fluid spilled. I hope, hope, hope
it continues this easily. She's been dehydrated and lethargic and she
probably has some kidney issues. She's 16 plus years and has had some health
problems but nothing too terrible. I know with crf that will change but for
right now I'm happy she seems to tolerate the subq injection.

The main problem right now is trying to get her to eat. She got 200 cc
fluid at the vet's yesterday and 200cc today--her appetite seems better
today but she's been eating only one thing and that's tuna (catfood--not
human). Any suggestions on how to expand her repertoire of acceptable food
choices? The vet said that right now calories were more important but I
would like to get her eating something better for her kidneys.

I appreciate hearing other people's experiences with both the fluid
administration and the dietary issues.

Thank you, Bonnie

Old August 18th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Thu 17 Aug 2006 09:13:48p, 22brix wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I appreciate hearing other people's experiences with both the
fluid administration and the dietary issues.

Congrats on the successful injection! I don't have experience to
offer with that, but I was giving my cat allergy shot injections, and
may start again since I think they at least kept the needed frequency
lower. All I can say is try to make it a happy experience. I'm
afraid I don't know the reason for your cats need for fluids; kidney
disease? If so, treats wouldn't be good like they would with my cats
allergy shots. I do know that he responded positively with
encouraging words like "good boy" and lots of hugs and pets.

Best wishes and good luck to both of you.

--
Cheryl

Old August 18th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

We've recently done sub-cu, that needle is scary! I'm glad your cat (and
you) did so well. The only issue we had was after it was over and
pulling out the needle. Many times, she would leak back out of the skin.
I watched a vet do it and they actually grab the skin in that area and
pinch it closed for several minutes (they hold a big fold of skin.) I
just used a kleenex and held it tightly against her for a few minutes.

As for trying to eat, we've had good luck with a wet food from Pro Plan,
it has sardines in it. Our vet emergency hospital clued us in to that --
they use it on their recovering cats because it is so stinky. Have you
tried A/D also? It's a soft, prescription food that is packed with
nutrients for cats not eating well, and many cats really like it.

I don't know about how these are on kidneys, but I would agree with your
vet that the first consideration is just getting something into her.
Maybe once you find something she is eating with gusto, you can start
slowly mixing in a food that is better for her kidneys (we used
prescription NF for our renal failure cat.)

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old August 18th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Thu 17 Aug 2006 09:13:48p, 22brix wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I appreciate hearing other people's experiences with both the
fluid administration and the dietary issues.

Congrats on the successful injection! I don't have experience to
offer with that, but I was giving my cat allergy shot injections, and
may start again since I think they at least kept the needed frequency
lower. All I can say is try to make it a happy experience. I'm
afraid I don't know the reason for your cats need for fluids; kidney
disease? If so, treats wouldn't be good like they would with my cats
allergy shots. I do know that he responded positively with
encouraging words like "good boy" and lots of hugs and pets.

Best wishes and good luck to both of you.

--
Cheryl

Thanks for your response! We're pretty sure it's kidney disease. Her BUN
and Creatinine have been normal but on the high side consistently for
several years. My vet is doing blood work--we should know more tomorrow.

I hadn't thought about the treats. Rats. She's deaf so verbal praise
doesn't do much for her. She does like the petting and stroking but it's
always nice to get treats too!

Bonnie

Old August 18th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Rhonda" wrote in message
The only issue we had was after it was over and pulling out the needle.
Many times, she would leak back out of the skin.

This happened with Molly, also. She's amazingly tolerant of this--I've
always called her my bomb-proof cat and she certainly is holding true to
form! I've heard that cats don't always tolerate fluid administration. My
mother had a cat with CRF that hated the whole thing so much she began to
run and hide from my mother. It really can destroy any trust a cat has with
a person.

As for trying to eat, we've had good luck with a wet food from Pro Plan,
it has sardines in it. Our vet emergency hospital clued us in to that --
they use it on their recovering cats because it is so stinky. Have you
tried A/D also? It's a soft, prescription food that is packed with
nutrients for cats not eating well, and many cats really like it.

Is A/D a Hills product--do you have to get it through the vets? We tried her
on one of the kidney diets two or three years ago and she adamantly refused
to eat it--sigh.

I don't know about how these are on kidneys, but I would agree with your
vet that the first consideration is just getting something into her. Maybe
once you find something she is eating with gusto, you can start slowly
mixing in a food that is better for her kidneys (we used prescription NF
for our renal failure cat.)

Good luck,

Rhonda

Thanks for your suggestions, Rhonda. She is actually eating fairly well
tonight so she must be feeling better.

Bonnie

Old August 18th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Hi Bonnie,

A/D is prescription and it is Hills. There is some CRF food information
he http://www.felinecrf.com/managd.htm

Good luck with your kitty!

Rhonda

Old August 18th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Hi Bonnie,

A/D is prescription and it is Hills. There is some CRF food information
he http://www.felinecrf.com/managd.htm

Good luck with your kitty!

Rhonda

Thanks for the link--it's got some great information! Bonnie

Old August 18th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"22brix" wrote in message

The main problem right now is trying to get her to eat. She got 200 cc
fluid at the vet's yesterday and 200cc today

That's a lot of fluid to give at once and in one day! How big is your cat?

Here's a chart you can use for calculating the volume of fluid to give:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Calculation...y dration.htm

Also, your cat should be getting a potassium supplement- especially if she's
getting fluid therapy. Fluid therapy promotes rapid urine production which
in turn promotes potassium excretion. Potassium depletion can lead to an
assortment of problems one of which is death. Potassium supplementation
along with omega-3 supplementation can delay or even interrupt the downward
spiral of CRF.

I think you may want to look for a vet whose a bit more experienced in
treating cats with renal disease.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old August 18th 06, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"22brix" wrote in message
Thanks for your response! We're pretty sure it's kidney disease. Her BUN
and Creatinine have been normal but on the high side consistently for
several years. My vet is doing blood work--we should know more tomorrow.

CRF doesn't show up in the bloodwork until at least 60-75% of kidney
function has been lost. Did your vet get a urine sample before he started
your cat on fluids?

P.

Old August 18th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Phil P." wrote in message

"22brix" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for responding--I always respect your expertise and advice. I'm long
time lurker, occasional poster.

Molly is small--only about 6 lb 5 oz. I couldn't get an appointment with my
regular vet so am seeing one of her partners. The vet didn't mention a
percentage of dehydration but Molly's skin was really "tenting".

She is getting supplemental potassium--Tumil K 1/8th tsp twice daily. My
regular vet put her on that several years ago--her BUN and Creatinine were
high side normal but her potassium was low. The potassium has been normal
ever since but last year the BUN & Creatinine were slightly higher than
normal limits. I don't remember the exact numbers but they weren't very
high. From what the vet said, she wanted Molly on 200 ml fluids for 5 days
and then once a week, see how she does and maybe back it down further. I
will definitely talk to her about the volume--she should be calling with lab
results today. The vet did not collect a urine specimen.

She does seem to be feeling better--she's purring all the time and is happy
to be picked up and petted. Her appetite also is better. She's gotten
fluids once before for dehydration but I've never given them at home.

I'm interested in the omega-3 supplementation--how much, how often, in what
form?

Thanks again for your input--it's much appreciated.

Bonnie