OT We have a saying...

Old July 14th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default OT We have a saying...

We have a saying in Finland: Vanhuus ei tule yksin (old age does not
arrive alone). It means you have to be prepared for all the little
'friends' that come with old age - aches and pains, problems with your
memory, absent-mindedness... Though I have to confess, I've always been
absent-minded, even as a kid.

When I packed for our trip to the island last Tuesday, I put the case
with the USB modem into my bag. I did not open the case to check that
the modem was in the case. I saw before my minds eye how I returned it
to its case after I had tested it at home.

On the island, I eagerly unpacked the case and opened it. I was excited
to test how well it would work. The case was empty, except for the extra
cable included.

Apparently, I had *not* returned the modem to its case after testing it
at home. So I've been without it since then. The rescue operation
included my middle sister, who had my key and went to rummage in my
stuff to find the modem, and my eldest sister, whose holidays started
today and who brought the modem to the island when she arrived today.

And it seems to be working fine.

Oh, and the cats are loving to be on the island again. Caliban got
himself too high up a tree the other day, but he eventually figured out
how to get down again. He and Mir are slowly making friends with Emil,
Mir's biological brother. And Caliban killed a vole the other night. I
woke up to the sound of him throwing it around the floor. OK, I'll see
how this message goes out. More later.

Old July 14th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you're enjoying your holiday, I had wondered why hadn't poted
before.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 14th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez[_2_]

On Jul 14, 9:18*am, Marina wrote:
On the island, I eagerly unpacked the case and opened it. I was excited
to test how well it would work. The case was empty, except for the extra
cable included.

Doh!

at home. So I've been without it since then. The rescue operation
included my middle sister, who had my key and went to rummage in my
stuff to find the modem, and my eldest sister, whose holidays started
today and who brought the modem to the island when she arrived today.

Yay for the sisters!!!

how to get down again. He and Mir are slowly making friends with Emil,
Mir's biological brother. And Caliban killed a vole the other night. I
woke up to the sound of him throwing it around the floor. OK, I'll see
how this message goes out. More later.

I'm glad the kids are enjoying their holiday as well. We read you loud
and clear!

Cheers.

Victor

Old July 15th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I like your saying from Finland. I have decided that the fool who talked
about "the golden years" must have been all of 21 and rich!

Old July 15th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Apparently, I had *not* returned the modem to its case after testing it
at home. So I've been without it since then.

Oops!

The rescue operation
included my middle sister, who had my key and went to rummage in my
stuff to find the modem, and my eldest sister, whose holidays started
today and who brought the modem to the island when she arrived today.

It sounds like you will certainly not be aging alone - you've got sisters
coming along and helping you out!

Oh, and the cats are loving to be on the island again. Caliban got
himself too high up a tree the other day, but he eventually figured out
how to get down again. He and Mir are slowly making friends with Emil,
Mir's biological brother.

That's new, isn't it? Hasn't he had conflict with Emil in past years?

And Caliban killed a vole the other night. I
woke up to the sound of him throwing it around the floor.

Charming! (I woke up to the sound of Roxy barfing. I think I'd prefer
that to your wake-up call!)

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 15th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wrote:
Marina wrote:

The rescue operation
included my middle sister, who had my key and went to rummage in my
stuff to find the modem, and my eldest sister, whose holidays started
today and who brought the modem to the island when she arrived today.

It sounds like you will certainly not be aging alone - you've got sisters
coming along and helping you out!

There is that, yes. I'm very grateful for my sisters, and my brother,
too. I can always count on them.

Oh, and the cats are loving to be on the island again. Caliban got
himself too high up a tree the other day, but he eventually figured out
how to get down again. He and Mir are slowly making friends with Emil,
Mir's biological brother.

That's new, isn't it? Hasn't he had conflict with Emil in past years?

Not so much conflict as... how to put it. They've more sort of ignored
each other. Neither one is aggressive enough to take the initiative for
playing or making friends. Mir, OTOH, sneaks up on Emil, swats him, and
then runs away, obviously hoping to be chased. Unfortunately, Emil
doesn't get it. The boys have hissed a bit half-heartedly at each
other a few times. Then they touch noses, and walk off in different
directions. It's kind of funny. They're both such amiable fellows. One
of them needs to be a bit more aggressive, for them to develop a friendship.

My niece has already taken lots of pictures. But you'll have to wait til
she's back in town and has the use of broadband to upload them.

Old July 15th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
Marina wrote:

[...]

Cats can sometimes be too subtle in their play, even for each other.

We caught Jake at his new past time a few evenings ago. I'd guess he
would call it dog fishing. He sprawls on one arm of the sofa with one
sharp tipped paw hanging over. It is right next to a fairly narrow
walkway in and out of the family room. And the perfect spot to reach
out and snag Kayla when no one is paying attention. Having been
snagged a few times, Kayla is reluctant to leave the room.

Jo

Old July 15th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Granby wrote:
I like your saying from Finland. I have decided that the fool who talked
about "the golden years" must have been all of 21 and rich!

Indeed! The idea of "being retired" sounds great when you're a young
wage-slave - especially if you don't particularly LIKE what you do for a
living - but unless you have really GOOD "retirement benefits", it not
only means curtailed physical abilities, but curtailed income, too!
Old July 15th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

We caught Jake at his new past time a few evenings ago. I'd guess he
would call it dog fishing. He sprawls on one arm of the sofa with one
sharp tipped paw hanging over. It is right next to a fairly narrow
walkway in and out of the family room. And the perfect spot to reach
out and snag Kayla when no one is paying attention. Having been
snagged a few times, Kayla is reluctant to leave the room.

What a little sneak! I can just see him lying in wait.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 16th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

We caught Jake at his new past time a few evenings ago. I'd guess
he
would call it dog fishing. He sprawls on one arm of the sofa with
one
sharp tipped paw hanging over. It is right next to a fairly
narrow
walkway in and out of the family room. And the perfect spot to
reach
out and snag Kayla when no one is paying attention. Having been
snagged a few times, Kayla is reluctant to leave the room.

What a little sneak! I can just see him lying in wait.

--

And of course like most siblings, trying to slip it past us. I swear
he gets the dog to chase him so Charlie will yell at her. I've

Jo