Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder

Old November 21st 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meranda

Default Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder

Hello Dearest Group,

I am typically lurker and enjoy the great wealth of information this
group offers. =) I have a question (that I was not able to find an
answer for) and also want to send out a warning to other beloved cat
owners.

I once used Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder for itchiness I was
dealing with. I now sometimes use it to keep my feet smell-free when
I wear a pair of boots that make my feet sweat. Every time I use it
my kitty comes running and he sniff around like mad! He could even be
on the on the other side of the house and he comes running.

"Where is it!? Gimme that! Gimme Gimme Gimme!!"

Now, I wonder what it is that is driving him nuts! It also scares me
that he likes it *so* much, but is labeled as poisonous. Although, not
labeled as being dangerous to pets. I keep it out of his reach, but I
still feel kinda nervous. He'll lick an area for a long time where it
has accidentally been shaken on -- even after it has been vacuumed. If
what is in it actually is something that is OK to give to cats -- I
want to buy some cuz he goes gonzo for the stuff. I like to make my
kitties ~happy!~

The ingredients are as follows:

Menthol, Acacia, Benzethonium Chloride, Eucalyptus oil, Peppermint
oil, Sodium Bicarbonate, Talc

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

~m.

Old November 21st 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 3:18*pm, Meranda wrote:
[...]

Eucalyptus oil, Peppermint.

Mostly peppermint - a close analog to Cat Mint (catnip).

You are absolutely correct in keeping it out of their paws.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 21st 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryce

Meranda wrote:

[...]

You really oughta ask your cat which of those ingredients is so
appealing ... but since you asked here, I'll guess that it's likely
either the menthol or peppermint that appeals to the feline nose.

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda.

And talc is magnesium sulfate, aka talcum powder. The stuff used
in cosmetics and smeared on babies. You will be surprised what
Wikipedia has to say about talc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc

Old November 22nd 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Meranda" wrote in message
Hello Dearest Group,

I am typically lurker and enjoy the great wealth of information this
group offers. =) I have a question (that I was not able to find an
answer for) and also want to send out a warning to other beloved cat
owners.

I once used Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder for itchiness I was
dealing with. I now sometimes use it to keep my feet smell-free when
I wear a pair of boots that make my feet sweat. Every time I use it
my kitty comes running and he sniff around like mad! He could even be
on the on the other side of the house and he comes running.

Does it smell minty? Cats love that smell.

Old November 22nd 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Average Joe

"Meranda" wrote in message
Hello Dearest Group,

Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder labeled as poisonous.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

What part of "labeled as poisonous" do you NOT understand?

Just because it doesn't specifically say "poisonous to pets", doesn't
mean it's okay to give it to your cat... unless you WANT to kill him...

Common sense tell me, if it's poisonous to ME, it's poisonous to my cat
too!

Old November 22nd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Meranda exclaimed (11/21/2008 3:18 PM):
[...]

I know everyone else is saying it's the mint - I'd like to be the
dissenting voice. My cat goes nuts for my lavender baby powder. If
some spilled on the floor, she'll roll in it. If she finds a patch on
me, she'll want to lick it.

I know she loves the smell of lavender, since I've caught her sniffing
the air near my plug-in scent thingies. I think maybe she likes the
taste of talc, not sure.

jmc
Old November 22nd 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bryce

jmc wrote:

[...]

Wikipedia's discussion on talc includes:

"Several studies have established preliminary links between talc
and pulmonary issues,[2] lung cancer,[3][4] skin cancer and ovarian
cancer.[5] This is a major concern considering talc's widespread
commercial and household use. In 1993, a US National Toxicology
Program report found that cosmetic grade talc caused tumours in
animals, even though it contained no asbestos-like fibres.[3]
Scientists have been aware of the toxicity of talc since the
late 1960s, and in 1971 researchers found particles of talc
embedded in 75 percent of the ovarian tumors studied.[6] However,
the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers non-asbestiform
talc, that is talc which does not contain potentially carcinogenic
asbestiform amphibole fibers, to be Generally recognized as safe
(GRAS) for use in cosmetics. [7]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc

Old November 22nd 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Bryce exclaimed (11/22/2008 9:32 AM):
jmc wrote:

[...]

Yea, I read that. I didn't say I let her lick it, just that she enjoys
the taste. My current cheapo stuff has mostly cornstarch in it, anyway

Old December 1st 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meranda

On Nov 22, 5:09*am, "Average Joe" wrote:
"Meranda" wrote in message

... Hello Dearest Group,

Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder labeled as poisonous.

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

* * What part of "labeled as poisonous" do you NOT understand?

* * Just because it doesn't specifically say "poisonous to pets", doesn't
mean it's okay to give it to your cat... unless you WANT to kill him...

* * Common sense tell me, if it's poisonous to ME, it's poisonous to my cat
too!

Um. Yeah. Very much understood. But items being poisonous to us and
to pets as well is not always the case. Furthermore, I follow that as
a rule anyways -- if something poisonous -- I assume it is for him as
well. Items are usually labeled if it poisonous to pets. Also just
wanted to know what it was he liked so I could give it to him. He
does not even begin to respond to catnip like he does that stuff!
Old December 1st 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meranda

jmc wrote:

[...]

And me likewise -- I do not let him lick it -- he just does. And I
prevent him from doing so.

~m.