Best litter?

Old November 15th 04, 09:58 PM
Avalanche

Default Best litter?

Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
dusty litter.
Brad
Old November 15th 04, 10:25 PM
Jo Firey

"Avalanche" wrote in message
Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
dusty litter.
Brad

We use Tidy Cat clumping litter. It is lighter than sand (a little) and
smells better than sand. Not dusty like cheap clay litter. It is much
easier to use a dustbuster type vacuum to clean up the kick out than it
would be with sand too.

Doesn't smell at all if you scoop it daily and change it out once a week.
And we get away with scooping every other day, filling when it gets low, and
changing out every two weeks.

Of course everything depends on what your cat is willing to use and to put
up with.

Jo

Old November 15th 04, 11:35 PM
Dan M

Avalanche wrote:

Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
dusty litter.
Brad

Litter is made of bentonite clay, and is absorbent. Sand would work, but
would have to be changed a lot more often.

Old November 15th 04, 11:51 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Avalanche had some very interesting
things to say about Best litter?:

Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?
Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
dusty litter.

We've found that crystal litter does much better at odor control.

Old November 16th 04, 12:12 AM
Victor Martinez

Avalanche wrote:
Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

Let's see, sand does not absorb liquids, so the urine will concentrate
at the bottom of your pan. Sand does not absorb or adsorb odors, so your
litterbox will stink quite horribly.
We use Everfresh with activated carbon, which helps adsorb odors.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 17th 04, 07:23 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Avalanche wrote:

Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

None that I know - why do you think they were originally
called "sandboxes" instead of "litter boxes"? And if your
cats go outside, they're perfectly happy to use your kids'
sandbox, if not prevented! (Or your neighbors freshly
planted garden.)

Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
dusty litter.

The clay litter doesn't track as badly (in theory), retains
moisture better (no totally saturated sand, with puddles at
the bottom of the box), and (at least in theory) controls
odor better. The first cat I had, when I was a kid in
Minnesota, we used a box full of sawdust - more satisfactory
than sand, and I don't think they even SOLD things like "cat
litter" way back then.

I doubt the cat really cares, so long as there's something
to dig in and use to cover up afterwards. The one exception
is highly scented products designed to mask the odors - cats
often find the heavy perfume offensive, and won't use them.
I've been using clumping Fresh Step Cedar for some time -
the cat seems content with it, and it really seems to
prevent litterbox odor for some time, without changing it.
(I just add a bit, from time to time, to replace what has
been removed with the daily scooping.) I've often gone as
long as two months without a complete change of litter.