Pet euthanasia is NOT totally painless???

Old January 29th 13, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Default Pet euthanasia is NOT totally painless???

Also crossposting to rec.pets.cats.health+behav as this is a relevant
post...

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote in message
Let me start out by saying this: I have read article after article on the
web claiming pet euthanasia is painless to the animal. Or, as some other
articles have stated, at most, it's as bad as getting a shot.

Well, I can say that after having to euthanize two different pets, it
seems to me that it is NOT painless. So now let me explain...

Two different cat euthanasias: one in 2000, and one in 2013. Two different
vet clinics. Both times the vet did use the stethescope to ensure that the
heart stopped after administering the euthanasia shot.

The first pet--a female domestic longhair black cat--well, I can only
guess insufficient sedative prior to being given that shot, or the vet
combined the sedative and the euthanasia part as all one shot, or is it
possible they did a euthanasia without administering a sedative at all? I
do know for a fact that when I held the cat prior to getting the single
injection--her eyes were fully open and she still responded prior to the
single injection used for euthanasia, even though she was very, very ill.
And, the way I saw that her paw clearly shook as the single injection was
being administered, that appeared as if she was feeling pain. (However,
while some articles on pet euthanasia do say the animal may cry out after
they die, she did not cry out.)

She was euthanized due to lymphosarcoma in 2000.

The second pet--a male domestic shorthair black and white cat--cried out,
hissed, and even turned his head to try to bite the vet as he was being
administered the sedative shot PRIOR to the euthanasia shot. It hurt him
that much! No catheter was used for the sedative shot--instead, this
sedative shot was done in the left rear thigh. And yet, the vet only said
"he might feel a tiny sting" prior to administering the sedative shot. (So
to me, that is more consistent with euthanasia being as painful as getting
a shot, but then that's still not painless.) Once the sedative took full
effect--and the vet even lifted up and put back down the limp but still
breathing cat to show that the sedative took full effect--the actual
euthanasia shot given by the vet about 15 minutes later did appear to be
painless, since there was no discernable motion from the cat and he also
did not cry out. Unlike the first euthanasia, this euthanasia never used a
catheter and the actual euthanasia shot was given in a vein in the left
rear leg on the underside of him.

He was euthanized due widespread lymphatic cancer this year, 2013.

Still, it appears to me that at least part of the euthanasia process HURTS
the cat in the short term, even if pet euthanasia is being used to help
them out of a longer more prolonged painful end to an eventual pet death.
Enough for me to have to ask if pet euthanasia is really actually painless
all the way from the start to the end of the process. Are these just two
cases of the different veterinarians doing the euthanasia process with
errors involved?

Further discussion is welcome--but it also doesn't change the facts of the
cat euthanasias I have seen when I had to put a pet down to sleep.

Old January 29th 13, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
[...]

Even if true, it is a lot better than suffering for days as would happen
were no pet ever euthanized. I had one cat who was poisoned by the weed
killer, "Round-up". He was mildly sick the first day, Quite sick the second
day, (spent the night in the vets home) and deathly sick the last day, when
he died at 11:00 PM. Not knowing whether he might pull through, we did
nothing. I wish I could go back and kill him the first day. But then I wish
I could go back the day before that and keep him from drinking the water
contaminated with Round-up. In no case would he have suffered more by being
euthanized. We can never know how they suffer unless and until we are
eeuthanized ourselves, and then we can't write a treatise on the subject for
the medical journals. That's just the nature of life and death.

Old February 3rd 13, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_3_]

On Jan 29, 12:08*am, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
wrote:
[...]

So what if it hurts a little.... Better than slowly starving or
getting run over by a car.

Hey.... Maybe you can put a 'moratorium' on cat executions until the
Supreme Court has had a chance to determine if the usual method is
cruel and unusual! Yeah.... You'd like that, I sure.....

.................................................. ............IBen

Old February 4th 13, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Well thank you for the warm reception! That makes me feel soooo good
that I think I'll stay a while. Yeah. That's what I'm a-gonna do.

Look, you ****ing JERK... I have opinions about animals and animal
rights just like everybody here. And NOBODY is going to run me away!
Not tomorrow... Not today... And not none since I first came to these
groups back in '99. Understand?

Personally, I don't care if you do or not. You might not like it. But
one thing's for certain... you're going to lay there until I think
I've had my say!
Old February 4th 13, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

wrote:
[...]

*** I don't owe you a warm reception when you troll my post.

Look, you ****ing JERK... I have opinions about animals and animal
rights just like everybody here. And NOBODY is going to run me away!
Not tomorrow... Not today... And not none since I first came to these
groups back in '99. Understand?

*** Let's review what you wrote in response. The second part of that makes
you a troll:

So what if it hurts a little.... Better than slowly starving or
getting run over by a car.

Hey.... Maybe you can put a 'moratorium' on cat executions until the
Supreme Court has had a chance to determine if the usual method is
cruel and unusual! Yeah.... You'd like that, I sure.....

Personally, I don't care if you do or not. You might not like it. But
one thing's for certain... you're going to lay there until I think
I've had my say!

*** I'll just block you, then I won't see any more of your responses. That's
the usual response to a troll, and I've already given you one too many

Old February 4th 13, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

So WHAT...??? I don't get ya'...... Proves you're twisting things...
Probably seeing things, too.

Personally, I don't care if you do or not. You might not like it. But
one thing's for certain... you're going to lay there until I think
I've had my say!

*** I'll just block you, then I won't see any more of your responses. That's
the usual response to a troll, and I've already given you one too many

Yezz.... You just do that. Meanwhile, I'll be RIGHT here. With all
your friends! : )
Old February 4th 13, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

wrote:
[...]

\|||/
(o o)
,--oo0--------------.
| Please |
| Don't Feed |
| The TROLLs |
'--------------oo0---'
|__| |__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

Old February 5th 13, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

* * * *\|||/
* * * * * * * (o o)
* *,--oo0--------------.
* *| * * * Please * * * * * *|
* *| * *Don't Feed * * * *|
* *| * The *TROLLs * * * |
* *'--------------oo0---'
* * * * * *|__| |__|
* * * * * * *|| * ||
* * * * *ooO *Ooo

--

\|||/
(o o)
Old February 17th 13, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
golden

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:08:26 -0800, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
wrote:

[...]

You are WAY overthinking this. Putting a cat to sleep is, OBVIOUSLY
not 100% painless, due to having to give one or two injections.

When done PROPERLY, and believe me, vets get good at doing this very
quickly, the pain is very, very small.

Now, go find something to do with your free time. You have WAY too
much!